Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
JT STRONGARM JACK STABILIZERS

I had a set of these JT'S on my last trailer and they really took the bounce out of the trailer when set up. I removed them and plan to put them on our 2008 Montana 3650 but due to the electric rear jacks they won't work there but I'm wondering if putting them just on the front will be okay for reducing or eliminating the bounce.

2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I used all 6 on my unit, on the electric rear stab jacks I put them from the frame to the rear pads on the stab stabilizer and just added more stability on front to back motion.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Putting them anywhere that you can, has got to help. If you are referring to the rear jacks do you mean rear stabilizers? Jacks are usually much stronger and capable of lifting and holding much more weight and probably wouldn't need JTs. I have a feeling you mean stabilizers which only help keep things still.

If this is the case I've got to think there is some place you can get the rear JTs installed, too. It might require adding some extra brackets or something to create attach points but maybe someone with the same model and the electric motors at these stabilizers can help provide an idea. If you've had them I have a feeling you'll miss not having them.

I only use a battery powered drill for my stabilizers (unlike the convenience of your powered stabilizers), but would certainly prefer JTs or something to really help provide more stability.

Best of luck solving this one. I look forward to hearing you've got them on!!! I'll be envious until I get something.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by artfuldodger

I had a set of these JT'S on my last trailer and they really took the bounce out of the trailer when set up. I removed them and plan to put them on our 2008 Montana 3650 but due to the electric rear jacks they won't work there but I'm wondering if putting them just on the front will be okay for reducing or eliminating the bounce.
To answer your question the front will eliminate about 80% to 90% of the bounce the back gets about 5% to 10% more. I would definitely put them on the front. As stated there should be someway to mount them on the rear too.
Good luck, let us know what works.
Merry Christmas
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Mount the rear JT's to your hitch frame.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
steves, what about the other side of the JT?. Doesn't that mount to the bottom part of the stabilizer? Then when retracting won't his motor be in the way? I think what your suggesting is to offset the JT somehow to not be blocked by the motor.

I think jliveit installed one set to the frontward part of the frame and didn't install the sidewards JT if the motor sits side to side and would block the travel. Or maybe it's in the other direction.

I'm just trying to picture the possibilities.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Mounted mine to the hitch box tubing - drilled and tapped the hitch brace. You are correct it will hit the support arm on the stabilizer as it comes in the kit. However, JT sells an adapter for the foot that provides enough off-set to avoid the stabilizer brace. I purchased this little bracket from them for less than $10.00. According to the JT rep the stabilizers MUST be mounted from side to side on the rear - they do little good when mounted from the stabilizer foot towards the front of the coach.
Jerry

On edit - just FYI I have a 2010 3400RL Montana
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I had a metal plate welded to cross member on the hitch and attached the JT's to it. I don't have the factory hitch, but when I installing the hitch, I had to move the rear stabilizers forward a little. You can do as Jdrobone did or like I did with a metal plate, either way the rear JT's will help. Probably one of the best improvements I have to the Montana.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Art-n-Marge - Jdrobone eplained it very good!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The front ones do all the work.. If I had it to do over again I would not even buy the rear ones. we use a couple of pyramid jacks to stabilize the rear.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I put the front ones on first and really didnt notice a lot of difference when I put the rear ones on.But I really am glad I did put them on.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote