Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
New Unit Accessory Must Haves Add Ons List ??

We are very close to ordering our 2012 3582. The new 3582 is longer, weighs more and has much less cargo capacity then the 2011 3580. What we don't know at this point is the list of add on "stuff" we are going to need and what we should budget for it. Such items as sewer houses, water hoses, power cords, adapters, surge protectors, cleaners, LP accessories, special tools (tourqe wrench) and stuff we don't yet know we need. We looked around and could not find a "starter kit" list of items we should be budgeting for either from the dealer or Camping World or mailorder. Does such a "suggested starter list" exist? We realize any list is subjective and the quality of the items reflect one's budget, but it would be good to hear from Folks what they wish they had bought right away, what they forgot, or what turned out to be a waste of money.

Anyone have suggestions or a list for us to think about?? Appreciate any help here.

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Some of the stuff you should get the dealer to supply such as sewer hose, power adapters, toilet chemical, your power cord is supplied, and get them also throw in the water hose. First get your price then ask them to throw that in also make sure they include 2 batteries. I am sure someone will add a few more things. and don't sign anything until they agree to add what you want as there are lots of dealer that will.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would put Surge Protector at the top of my list.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
For me, the top of my list was the HW50C from Progressive Industries. I bought mine from Tweetys and installed it myself. ( http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...rdwire-50.aspx )
Chocks (everyone has their favorite)
Additional sewer hose(s)
Water hose(s)
Torque wrench with proper size socket for wheel lugs
Digital air pressure gauge
Water filter - either for the whole unit or under sink on the cold side
Generator - if you intend to dry camp
Extension cord(s) - Heavy duty (12 or 14 gauge wire)
Tool kit (screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, sockets, pliers, duct tape, silicone sealant, etc.)
Lawn chairs or similar
Folding table
BBQ Grill
Multi Meter (digital)
Flashlight
Extra fuses (all the different kinds used in your RV)
Extra light bulbs
First Aid Kit
Bungee cords
Disposable gloves to wear when dumping grey/black
Lubricant for your hitch
Storage boxes (plastic with lids) to organize your storage area

Much more, I'm sure. Others will add to my suggestions.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Be sure and order your rig with Goodyear G614 tires. Normally they will come with Marathon tires and you can check many tire threads on this forum and other forums and you will easily discover why you want to spend whatever extra it costs to have your rig come with the G614's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
I second the HW50C from Progressive Industries. I bought mine at Tweetys as well. The dealer would have ordered the surge suppressor for me, exactly the same thing for $150 more plus installation. I said I like you guys, but not that much! They installed mine for $50.

Wheel chocks, Water Pressure Reducer, Portable Table for a Portable Grill, Wood TV Trays (2) - These make nice table next to Reclining Lawn Chairs, Lots of Storage Containers to organize your goodies in the basement. I also have a SmartLight SL 1000 - Motion Sensor Light that we really like now that the days are shorter.

jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
To be name specific, get the RhinoFlex sewer hose, and you'll need some boards or Lynx Levelers which are lighter. Both of these items can be had at Walmart for a decent price.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
A teflon plate for your kingpin.
We like the sewer solution but also carry a 10' section of regular sewer hose.
Sodium Hypochlorate from WalMart to sanitize the fresh water system.
Quick connects for your water hoses - brass.
We carry a 50' extra water hose and 25' Anaconda extension (50 amp) cord and stow in front compartment.

Before you start packing stuff in though, take plenty of photographs of the wiring in the front compartment, behind the Convenience Center and under the hallway stairs. Have the dealer tighten all of the 110v connections on the breaker panel.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

A teflon plate for your kingpin.
We like the sewer solution but also carry a 10' section of regular sewer hose.
Sodium Hypochlorate from WalMart to sanitize the fresh water system.
Quick connects for your water hoses - brass.
We carry a 50' extra water hose and 25' Anaconda extension (50 amp) cord and stow in front compartment.

Before you start packing stuff in though, take plenty of photographs of the wiring in the front compartment, behind the Convenience Center and under the hallway stairs. Have the dealer tighten all of the 110v connections on the breaker panel.

I would suggest this, I pulled my panel and checked all wires. What I found was some loose connections, but, the biggie was connections that had very little insulation removed and the insulation was actually under the screw!!! So the insulation was tight and the copper was loose. I found this on four connections.

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Screwdriver set for square drive screws - #'s 1, 2, & 3
Deep drive socket set to match the torque wrench. You'll need different sockets for other things besides the wheel nuts.
TV cable - 25' - for those parks with cable
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Order it with Level Up system installed then you will not need the boards and you will not regret the expense with the convenience of set up.
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Thanks Folks... I know from all these helpful suggestions I'm going to have some questions. One that comes right to mind is the propane issue. I'm told the unit holds two #30 tanks, one on either side of the coach. We are going with a vapor/propane Onan 5500 genset installed.

Should we have the two #30's swapped out for two #40's?

Should I buy a spare #30 or #40 for the back of the dually?

Do Folks run one empty and then unhook it, drag it out like our BBQ grill and have it refilled? Does it make sense to have a 3rd spare to have refilled convieniently when one goes empty?

Thanks!!
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
We don't have a gen, so we don't use LP as fast, but here's how I work it. Part of my morning routine is to check the indicator on the regulator to be sure it hasn't switched over and get an idea how much is left in the primary tank. If it's empty or very close I switch over and get the empty refilled in the next day or so, depending on weather. With the gen a third tank might be a good idea, so how things work before you jump.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If you plan on using the Onan 5500 I highly recommend the 40 lb tanks the Onan will suck up a lot of Propane. We had the Onan 5500 in the Cambridge 358 and when we used the 5500 it did take a lot of propane. However it worked great.. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We upgraded to the 40 pound tanks to accompany our Onan. A word of warning though, those suckers are heavy (60-70 pounds full)!! If you have the storage room available, an extra tank would be of benefit. I am considering toting along a spare 30 pound tank in addition to the tank upgrades we did. With a full load and the forty pound tanks, I would estimate that you should have around eighteen to twenty hours of run time. This is based on about a gallon an hour of propane usage. A half load burns about a half-gallon per hour per the manufacturer.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote