Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
2nd A/C

Thinking I want to add a second A/C unit in the bedroom. What is the consensus of the best kind and did you install it yourself?

Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Your 2010 unit should be set up to add a Dometic 13,500 BTU either regular or low profile. You should be prewired to tie into the main thermostat and activate zone 2. Ducts are already ran to the bedroom ceiling vent. This setup will require a special module that works with the existing thermostat. I think Dometic did it this way to ensure the 2nd A/C would be another Dometic. I would highly suggest the low profile as adding additional height to your trailer is something else to watch for on clearance issues.

Many members will point out that dropping in any unit with the old style direct blow manual ceiling unit is an option as well. But you will get much more benefit from ducting your entire system. In the extreme heat and very high humidity of the deep South the only way we could keep cool in the middle of the day was the completely ducted system. I highly recommend it especially if you have a side aisle bath.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My dealer installed a Carrier low profile unit when I bought mine. It has worked fine for 4 years.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Carrier no longer makes RV air conditioners. Too bad too. They were top notch.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
we have the regular 13500 btu front air.I had it installed because I was told that the low profile could not be ducted. the thing I like is that you be in the living area and run the bedroom air and you don't have the noise of the fan. Jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, the 13.5K low profile Dometic (Penguin) can be added and tied right into the vents. You add the Quick Kool Face Plate which gives you the option of venting into the ducts or open the quick kool vent and dump all the air into the bedroom, close the door and you have a meat locker in no time. It's a fairly simple operation, but you would need some way to get the unit on the roof. The install cost isn't that much and leaves and problems for someone else to fix. I agree with the above about running the bedroom unit in the evening, makes it easier to hear the boob tube (television for the younger generation). Had the second unit added to ours last summer and haven't regretted it for a minute.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I bought a Carrier Low Profile last fall ... a couple of dealers still have them in stock and Carrier still warranties them. I'm a do it myself kind of guy ... if you have any mechanical skill at all, it's a couple of hours job counting removing the existing vent and related caulking. Weighing only about 80#, two people on two 8' step ladders gets it up on the roof. As stated earlier, the wiring and ducting is already there on the newer Montanas and is basically a 3 wire hookup. I went with the non ducted as I have a hallway right down the middle of my fiver. With the pocket door closed, it will make a popsickle out of the bedroom in no time at all. As mentioned earlier, it is quieter if you are just running the bedroom A/C. One drawback ... you'll not be able to sucessfully run both A/C's together if you happen to be at a 30 amp campground.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I installed a Carrier low profile last year because we went to Macon,Savanna area then Hilton Head boy it was really Hot. What I did was made an 8' shid out of 2 2x4s w/3 rails to keep them a certain width. Had the a/c in back of truck w/skid tie a rope to a/c and pull it on the roof. It was easier then I expected. The install was the same, I bought the a/c from Tweetys. Hope this helped Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Jack - when you put yours in, could you tie into existing duct work or is it a direct blow manual ceiling mount? We have the same Monty and was wondering. Thanks, D
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
I am going to Navarre, Fl this weekend. I plan to check with Camping World while I am there. Thanks for all the input...That is why I love this site.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If you have an extended service plan, be sure they will cover a self installed unit. I know the one we have requires it be a dealer installed item for coverage.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
ddettorre:
To answer your question ... no matter the brand, all units have 2 different shrouds for the inside part of the A/C unit whether it be ducted or direct blow. The shroud is designed slightly different for the ducted and you have to remove a cover like piece on the ceiling ducts that allows access to the factory ducts. You just need to specify when ordering.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #13
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks.....D
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Unless a Dometic unit is installed with the A/C adapter module 12 volt power will have to be ran to the unit. I know this because I had to have it done to install a Carrier low profile. This is only true when using the ducted ceiling assembly. The freeblow units do not have to have 12 volt power. I am not sure what would be the case if you went with the Coleman ducted.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a Coleman PolarMach, a low profile unit. It works well. Dealer installed it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Since the trailer is prewired we just had the Dometic 13k low profile installed. it is ducted and tied into the comfort control thermostat.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote