Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Rear Window Sunshade

We have a problem with the sun heating up our Montana thru the large rear window. Carefree had a sunshade that mounts above the window and can be pulled down to block the sun. Have any of you used this shade or something similiar. We'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I installed that on our Montana and it works great.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

I installed that on our Montana and it works great.
Same here!!!!! We are in Arizona and it makes quite a difference....Don't delay!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Had one our 3400RL and it worked great.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have one. It works great.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
We have one on our 3400RL and love it. We had it made in Colorado Springs by Carefree of Colorado. We are using it in Arizona and it sure helps keep it cooler.
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also have one that I got from a MOC member, and it does work great, but there are times that dont even work, when you get a realy hot sun, the way I solved that was to buy a piece of that reflective bubble instalation and slide a 4 foot by 8 foot piece between the shade and the window you dont see anything but it does stay cool. I usually keep that in the basement untill needed.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like posted above ... have one and it works well. It also provides privacy in the daytime as you can see out, but no one can see in. When night time comes, privacy is no longer a luxury as anyone can see right in with interior lights on. If you install it yourself as I did ... do not drill 1/4" holes in the rear cap as the instructions state or you'll wind up in trouble ... 3/16" is the correct size for the 3/16" pop rivets provided in the kit. I called Carefree to see if they would ammend their instructions, but so far they have not.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Anyone have pics of their mod installed?
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We were looking at Magnet Shade while in Quartzsite last January. Magmets are glued to the interior side of glass and the shades have small metal plates in them. The shades are very easy to installed and remove, just a few seconds. We were quiet impressed with the product, but haven't purchased yet.

http://www.magnetshade.com/main.html?src=%2Findex2.html
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Photo as requested

This is of course in the retracted position ... it works just like a pull down window blind with a spring retract. There are two small hooks just below the window that hold it in the down position. There is a pull strap in the middle. Just like the window blind ... you don't want to just release it as it goes back, but keep a gentle hold on it. I use my old awning hook to reach the pull strap. You can order them in several colors ... I went with the tan to match the browns in the decals.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The parent company Magne Shade produces a very nice product. Although their web site supports motor homes, I'm sure that Roger and Clare will help you out. Since they cannot get on this forum for viewing, drop my name if you call them.

As for Magne Shade, no drilling, no holes, and on my SOB it takes 30 seconds or less to install the front window screens. These screens are truly UV protectors and will block about 90% of the UV rays. As stated, they are held on by magnets. For my full windshield I have 5 magnets along the top, and originally 1 at each bottom corner. Subsequently we installed one on each side half way down the side, in the middle. The magnets are held on to the inside by a very strong 3M adhesive. The screen magnets are sewn into reinforced pockets in the screen. The upper pockets have a reinforced split in them for a fiberglass stick to slip into. You just push the stick up to the top of the window and the magnet will click into place against the other magnet. You "slide" the outside magnet up to the inside magnet. These magnets are about 1" in diameter, and bout 1/2 inch thick. They should not interfere with anything on the inside of the window. If, however, you do not want to stick them to the window, you could have a two person operation where one on the inside holds the magnet against the glass and the person on the outside puts the screen in place one magnet at a time. Be warned, these magnets are extremely strong and of you get two close together without the glass between them, they can, and will, pinch your finger and give you a blood blister. (Ask me how I know, and ask Earlene how she knows.) If you do stick them to the window, the first time operation will take two people and maybe 15 minutes of time. You would position everything in place before pulling the sticky back off the tape and semi-permanently placing the magnets on the inside. Do tell them how high it is to the top of the window from the ground so a proper length stick can be had.

Roger and Clare have been great people to work with. Ask them about the windshield wiper covers, and the mirror covers for the truck. Also, they have designer fabrics if you want to go that route. For information purposes, the dark screen is the most protective against UV rays, and the designer screens will be less so. These are the typical "see out, not in" screens.

Happy Trails.

It's as simple as
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Photo as requested

This is of course in the retracted position ... it works just like a pull down window blind with a spring retract. There are two small hooks just below the window that hold it in the down position. There is a pull strap in the middle. Just like the window blind ... you don't want to just release it as it goes back, but keep a gentle hold on it. I use my old awning hook to reach the pull strap. You can order them in several colors ... I went with the tan to match the browns in the decals.
Thanks....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I have pics in the link in my signature. Just click the link scroll down to Montana Mods and additions to view. we love how it works.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
campingpappy

M.O.C. #9570
We have been very pleased with sunshades from J&J Sunshades in Lake Wales, Florida (http://rvmat.com/). Believe it or not, these shades are held on with suction cups and they have worked great, so far! We had 73 mph winds last week and the shades did not blow off. Tina at J&J sews the shades herself and if you tell her your exact window size, she will make the shades large enough to suction cup to the fiberglass. I never thought that they would hold, but in this hot Florida sun, they are working great. She has now made them for all of my windows. They block something like 90% of the suns rays, yet you can still see out.
campingpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Does anybody have the URL for the Carefree of Colorado roll down sun shade? I can find it on their site but not much info, I need someplace I can purchase the shade... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Does anybody have the URL for the Carefree of Colorado roll down sun shade? I can find it on their site but not much info, I need someplace I can purchase the shade... Dave
Dave, here is one link
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thanks, but that is just the Care Free site, there is no option to purchase or sizing info there. I want to order it without having to go through a dealer..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I'm interested in the same information also. Looks like the way to go.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
I bought the stick on snap assemblies from these folks then just went down to my local home depot and bought the sun shade fabric they sell for gardens. Trimmed it myself and installed. Total cost of about 50 bucks .
http://www.ezsnapdirect.com/
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote