Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Holding Tanks

We are looking at a new 3750 Monty. We are concerned about the number of holding tank failures we hear about on Keystone units. When we were at a rv park in Al. last year, we had a friend with a 2010 Monty which had split tank. Within a month, the total was 3 Monties needing replacement tanks. We had a 06 Monty and never had a problem with it, and now have a Carriage Cameo, with the only problem being the standard Chinese tire nightmares. We really like the 3750 front living room model, and are seriousily thinking about it. Would appreciate your input. Barb and Bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We understand, not verified, that there have been improvements in the support of the holding tanks.. Remember there are , on this forum, hundreds of Montana owners and a small number of tank leaks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My tank failure was due to my stupidity and nothing else, I left the flush water valve on a slow trickle and not knowing it was on and water does not compress very well You can take it from there.
I think the amount of tank failures is low considering how many Keystone RV's are on the road, percentage wise anyway. I have to agree with Richfaa also.
I think putting a couple more straps that cradle the tank more would not be to hard a project, anything can be improved for the better.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Remember there are , on this forum, hundreds of Montana owners and a small number of tank leaks.
Very true...you will hear about the few problems, but not about the thousands that work fine. Nobody makes a post and says, "Wow, my black tank is working great!"
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hey, Barb and Bob! How nice to hear from you. We met in Gulf Shores a few years ago and shared a birthday dinner! We now have a Big Sky and love it. Hope to see you on the road.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks for the inputs, as I stated I had a good experience with my 3000 Monty. I thought that three failures in a month on three different Monties at same rv park was pretty high, and than read a post on here about a rv repair shop in Indiana being the experts because of the amount of replacement tanks they did, gave me some concern.
Although really love my Cameo, the front living room in the 3750 Monty is a real winner, so will have to decide if I want to give up my basement storage space for the big living room.

bob
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
By the way I have four tanks in my Monty. They ALL work great! All four of them! For almost 5 years. One black, two gray and one fresh... I hope this is representative of more than this one Monty owner.

That said, I have other friends and relatives who have trailers. Two others are having problems with their tanks, one is a gray tank and the other is a black tank. Both of these are SOBs. They both have far fewer miles and days of use than I do.

Barb and Bob, the bad news is that all rigs and brands will have problems. The good news is that with a Monty you will have the support and experience of its owners and this Forum to back you up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Pam and Bob hope all is well, are you going to make it to Gulf Shores? Hope to see you on the road, and get some more great seafood. We are in Gulf Shores/Foley until May 15th.

Art and Marge, agree about all rvs having problems. We have been on this forum for about 5 years and have always found it to be helpful. Monitor it on regular basis, but more active on Carriage forum the past three years since that is what we have.

Have met great people like the Riegels, Oz clan, and Pam and Bob, and they are the best, so we know we get the straight skinny here.
Thanks again.

barb and bob
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our tanks worked great, they just leaked! I'm hoping Keystone will or has addressed this issue. When we see how the tanks are installed, read the instructions on how they should be installed, and think about the weight of almost 40 gallons of liquids, it's pretty easy to understand the failures. That's not even mentioning the stress some of the plumbing puts on the tanks.

If I were serious about another Keystone product, I would have a little discussion with "team Montana" or someone higher up about the tanks. There is simply no excuse to allow a problem to continue. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
perhaps someone can confirm on the 2010/2011 units if the tanks have been supported. That would require dropping the underbelly and we don't want anyone to do that just to cehck but IF the opportunity arises???'' That post on the repair company in Ind repairing many leaky tanks may have been mine... We had two tanks replaced there in Sept 0f 10 while at the rally. The facility is right behind the Montana plant and in the Keystone complex not to mention surrounded by many Rv manufacturers and they do all kinds of referral repairs for many of the manufacturers.They confirmed they replaced many holding tanks for many manufacturers which is exactly why we chose them to do the repair. They did add cross bracing on our tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
richfaa,

After I go bouncing down a lot of Florida's concrete highways, US 50 in Utah, and US 99 (&US 101) in California, I leak too.

'Nough said on that.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We bought our first Montana in January 2001 and have had all (3) Montanas ever since. WE've fulltimed in this one and the prior one since March 2003. We've put somewhere north of 150k miles on our Montanas in those years. The only tank problem we had was totally my fault. It is not a good idea to start the black tank flush running with the dump valve closed and then go inside the rig for 20 minutes. When you come back outside you are likely to see the results of a ruptured tank. It's not a sight I care to see again but it in no way was Keystone's fault.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Hey Lasater...I noticed your Master EOD badge on your avatar. Me too...maybe sometime we'll get a chance to talk, your name sounds familar ...dan
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote