Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Slide Question....

Hello everyone. I hope all of you are surviving the this cold snap ok.

I have a quick question.... I was winterizing the Monty on Sunday afternoon. When I had finished everything, I went to pull the slides in (I have the 3400RL) and had a stall. On my 3400 the slides coming one at a time starting with the front bedroom (driver's side), then the kitchen slide (driver's side), then the living area (driver's side), then finally the living area (passenger side). When it got to the 4th slide (living area - passenger side), it got about halfway in and then the slide just stopped. The pump just stopped as well. It was like I had stopped pressing the button. So I stopped pressing the button then pressed it again and nothing happened. I did this 2 more times and nothing... No pump noise or anything. I went looked at the pump and fluid tank and all looked fine. So went back in pressed the "in" button again and the slide continued in just fine. Very strange. Any ideas on what the issue is? I don't want to get off somewhere and not get the slides to come in....

Thanks,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Auto-reset breaker that protects the pump motor. It can be upgraded to an 80 amp or paralleled 40 amp (cheaper and more readily available). a forum search will give you the specifics.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Cold hydraulic fluid is harder to pump than warm fluid is. Sounds like you overloaded your pump with the cooler fluid. There is a self resetting circuit breaker on that pump. So it quit and after a short time, the breaker reset itself and you could continue moving the slides in.
Happens sometimes in cold weather.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the info.

Oh, can anyone tell me how to pull the slides in manually if the pump does go out?
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On the side of the electric motor (usually in the battery compartment) there is a hex type connector that you can insert a hex bit into and use a drill to extend the slides. This works if the electric motor fails and the hydraulic pump is still good. Most of the time if the hydraulic pump fails, there is no easy way to retract the slides, it is possible, but involves unhooking the hydraulics, therefore field service and [hydraulic pump replacement is usually the preferred route to take in this instance.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have had mine to do this for the first time in the last few wks. I agree that it is the cold hyd fluid so I will just wait till it warms up to use it. I still have the same breaker that came in mine so I have been lucky.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ah the ole auto re-set breaker strikes again. Per Lippert, several 3400's were built with less than desirable auto reset breakers. They even submitted a document on how to up grade by installing in parale another breaker. Plus with the colder weather an extra drain on the amperage. Have no fear many of us has had to make the modification. Someone will come along hear that can send you the document from Lippert on how to make the upgrade.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
usually the smallist slide opens firsf then the next biggest all the way up reverce is the same way.
send me youe E-mail address I'll send you the slide stalling fix PDF and pictures.

dkr9925@ca.rr.com

Old 12-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some of us have simply replaced the 50 amp auto reset breaker with a new 50 amp auto reset breaker and solved the problem. Apparently they get weak over time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cgaskins

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the info.

Oh, can anyone tell me how to pull the slides in manually if the pump does go out?
Chris,
Here is a link to the Owner's Manual for the slides: Slide Out Manual. On page 6 it discusses the procedure for retracting the slides if the electric motor fails. Hope that answers your question regarding that issue. I have performed the fix that "Trailer Trash 2" has offered to e-mail to you as many others have and it works well.
Jack
Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Had same problem, as many have. Replaced auto reset w/a new one. Less than $10, and 10 minutes. Be sure to disconnect the battery before replacing.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Our slides, as do all of the 3400s I have heard of, open and close in the same order as you described. We have had our slides do the stop and go thing...from what I have read, in addition to a possible breaker issue, a weak or uncharged battery could also be the culprit.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, the sequence of slide movement is based on path of least resistance. If the rig is level, that means the lightest weight slide will move first. Usually that's the smallest slide or the bedroom slide. But, if you are off level, that all changes. It's still path of least resistance but those having to move uphill will have more resistance than if they were level. Likewise, those moving downhill will have less resistance than when level. We've had the sequence change a few times based on level and have even have one slide start just to stop in favor of another slide. Same reason. Path of least resistance.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here is the list of things to check:

1. The rig must be level and stabilized (the rear stabilizers are down). The stabilizers being down help minimize any extra movement as the slides are extended or retracted.

2. Fluid is low. WHEN THE SLIDES ARE IN, check the reservoir that there is fluid up to 1/2" below the top of the reservoir - you might consider putting a permanent marker line to make this easier to check. Use the cheapest Type A transmission fluid or an equivalent (Mercon/Dextron) fluid.

3. Batteries are weak. Connect to shore power, generators or the TV (with engine running) to provide additional 12v power.

If these are not the problem, then you'll need to upgrade the autoresetting breakers. The factory often installs the minimum 40amp or 50amp rated breaker. But with rigs that have a lot of slides, you may need to upgrade to 80 amp or 100 amp rated breakers. Because these are hard to find or are much more expensive, you can also install dual 40 amp or dual 50 amp breakers in parallel (don't mix them) to get the same rating. The fix looks like this (note the dual CBs and the short shunts between them which replaces the existing single CB):

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote