Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Towing a travel trailer

Due to age, at times dw will have trouble walking. Due to the fact her warranty ran out and too valuable to trade in, we may be going to a travel trailer because of the bedroom steps. Has anyone towed a large travel trailer using the hensley hitch, is it easy to use and is it as stable as a 5th wheel. Thanks to anyone with info.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I towed a 33' Sand Piper with a 3/4 ton 2001 Dodge. The those year dodge's are noted for loose steering box. When the steering was tight the Hensley Arrow did as advertised. It would not push the tow vehicle around. The second year the steering loosened up and the trailer did push the nose of the truck some.
The Hensley Arrow is a great hitch, try getting a used one. The only down side is your are putting a square shaft into a square receiver. Both have to be lined up by 98% or you will not slide it. Because of the square shaft you do have to have your truck and trailer inline to hook up. You can not come in at an angle. So sight selection should take that issue into consideration. Practice makes hooking up easier.
I would highly recommend them.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
At one point in life I had a travel trailer ... then I went to fivers ... I'll never go back to a TT. I had just an ever day equilizer hitch which was cumbersom to hook up and pack around. With a fiver ... just back into the fifth wheel plate in the bed of the truck and secure the latch. To me a fiver has more stability, less sway tendancies, and is little effected by say meeting a semi on the road. You're going to have steps no matter what RV you own ... perhaps 2 - 3 more into the bedroom can be tolerated. Perhaps a sturdy handrail addition would average out getting to the bedroom. JIMHO
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
I towed a 36 ft Montana TT with a Hensley the last 2 years I had her, with my current F250. Indeed the hitch diminished that "tail wagging the dog" feel we all hated when we towed TT's, and with your duelly, I'm betting the stability will be even better with the wider footprint.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Proper hitching, proper hitching, proper hitching, IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had four TT's before we went to the Montana 5th wheel. No matter what hitch is used they are just not as stable as a 5th wheel but they can be managed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We had TT for years and then got the arrow and they are great after you learn how to use them. Then we got the montana and it handles great also[we have a dually]. If you have/get a TT GET THE ARROW. They handle super and thats the only one I would get. Any question PM me.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote