Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Bedsaver

OK all you knowledable RV'ers. Why the NEED of a "bedsaver"? Is it because of hitch failures or the wife made me do it excuses for being a bonehead?
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mike,
When a friend was riding motorcycles he told me there were two types of riders. Those that have gone down and those that will.
The bed saver prevents you from dropping the 5th wheel onto the bed of your truck or reducing the amount of damage.
I claim mine is a $250. insurance policy to prevent $3000 to $5000 damage to truck and trailer.
Many have said I have driven for 20 year and never dropped it. Age and distractions are what cause the problem.
Good question.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good answer John. I can add to the drop subject. We were at a campsite where I needed some leveling, I put my air-bag under the wheel, inflated it to raise the side, then the trailer wheel rolled off the bag, thought Sue chocked the other opposing side. Didn't check, my fault, then the trailer rolled back. Onto my Bedsaver.
I am an admitted Bonehead, Knew I would drop it sometime.
I also had a tire-stop that was tall enough until I inflated the airbag...Oops. I now use the Roto-chocks, work great.
I had two friends drop theirs when I first got into RV'ing.
Mr Bonehead in action
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with John, those that have and those that will. Cheap insurance if your hitch will accept one. Unfortunately, my present hitch will not. I did have one on my Husky hitch before the Trailer Saver Hitch.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I couldn't agree more with what John and Ozz have said! I put one on and so far no problems on my hookups but one can never tell! I did test my bedsaver to make sure it saved me. I left my hitch open and pulled the TV forward very slowly and the Monte dropped into the Bedsaver catch with no injury to the truck or the Monte! I've known more than one that have dropped their fiver and it is not cheap to do the repairs to both the truck and the Monte! The Beadsaver is a cheap insurance policy for sure as John says!

Phil-- Why don't you come on up to Nebraska for the Central Plains Regional Rally in July and you can talk to Blue Ox at the Rally or contact them prior to the Rally and maybe they will construct a Bedsaver for you while you're in the area. They have done that for numerous Monte owners I know and then they have the plans for further units to build also for your particular hitch. Who knows, they may ever build it for nothing for you! The Blue Ox factory is only about an hour or so drive from Omaha or the Rally site and they have full hookups for you to stay at for free while they are working on your hitch and constructing your Bedsaver. It normally only takes about two days for them to do this and you then have peace of mind from that point on!
Infact why don't you all join us at our Rally in July and talk to the Blue Ox people on their other products also!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Question for Bed Saver users - Is the height of the bed saver adjustable when measured against the hitch head?

In Ozz's slide show it looks like the drop is a considerable 6 inches or more. But if the 5er overhang is 6 inches above the truck bed rails doesn't that mean even if the 5er drops onto the Bed Saver that there will still be contact (not as bad, but nevertheless).

If I got one, I am fortunate to have over 7 inches so the bed saver should be 6 or less inches below the hitch head, unless I am at a slant that would cause some contact.

I'm just curious if the Bed Saver should be just below the clearance to allow for the pin to slide into the hitch head. Unless you drop the hitch into place on the other side of the Bed Saver, which makes for more time to hitch up.

I almost had a failure. I forgot to chock the wheels prior to unhitching and I had just released the handle. A few seconds later the trailer slid back and off the hitch head. Fortunately, I was almost done lowering the landing gear at the time so that's what caught the trailer and kept it off the truck bed rails.... WHEW!!!

Hitches don't fail very often, but bonehead moves are much more prevalent. It's so important to establish a routine, stick to it and prevent interruptions that might disturb it. A BedSaver is a preventative for those disturbances in concentration (aka bonehead move).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
As in most things, I took mine and customized it, mine probably isn't representative of most.
I adjusted mine, can't say about others.
Probably are designed for the hitch and the engineers take into account the drop measurements.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz, How much of a height drop is on yours?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Ozz, How much of a height drop is on yours?
Well it looks like around 10-12"
But I have a short bed truck, I think that matters some.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Question for Bed Saver users - Is the height of the bed saver adjustable when measured against the hitch head?

In Ozz's slide show it looks like the drop is a considerable 6 inches or more. But if the 5er overhang is 6 inches above the truck bed rails doesn't that mean even if the 5er drops onto the Bed Saver that there will still be contact (not as bad, but nevertheless).

If I got one, I am fortunate to have over 7 inches so the bed saver should be 6 or less inches below the hitch head, unless I am at a slant that would cause some contact.

I'm just curious if the Bed Saver should be just below the clearance to allow for the pin to slide into the hitch head. Unless you drop the hitch into place on the other side of the Bed Saver, which makes for more time to hitch up.

I almost had a failure. I forgot to chock the wheels prior to unhitching and I had just released the handle. A few seconds later the trailer slid back and off the hitch head. Fortunately, I was almost done lowering the landing gear at the time so that's what caught the trailer and kept it off the truck bed rails.... WHEW!!!

Hitches don't fail very often, but bonehead moves are much more prevalent. It's so important to establish a routine, stick to it and prevent interruptions that might disturb it. A BedSaver is a preventative for those disturbances in concentration (aka bonehead move).
Art, When I had mine, the drop was only about an inch. It does no good if your drop is 10-12 inches and your trailer only sits about 6 inches above your truck rails. When raising trailer to hitch I had to go just a tad high to clear the bedsaver, then lower it a tad to slide into the hitch. A little more trouble, but worth it. I did drop my trailer from the TrailerSaver hitch, (did not have the hitch in the "hitch mode"), and had to replace the tailgate, fortunately no other damage to truck or trailer. That was at Camp Keystone right after I got the hitch and truck. Sure would like to see Blue Ox make one for my hitch......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

OK all you knowledable RV'ers. Why the NEED of a "bedsaver"? Is it because of hitch failures or the wife made me do it excuses for being a bonehead?
Mike
All of the above, Mike. I ALWAYS do the jerk test before completely raising the landing gear, so failure to properly hitch will not likely get me...however, hitch failure is another issue.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
As others have said, cheap insurance. They are adjustable. Mine will only drop a couple of inches.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think the type of hitch can minimize the likelihood of dropping the trailer. The latching mechanism of the Pullrite Super 5th (and some others I think) is a hook shaped piece that rotates around the king pin completely capturing it. That piece is geared to the pull handle so they move as one.
When properly hitched, the narrow part of the king pin slides thru a narrow opening into the hitch mechanism. The larger diameter bottom of the pin slides under it and hits a trigger to release the latch. A spring causes the latch to rotate around the pin and pull the handle in. It happens with a loud clank that there is no mistaking that it activated. When the handle is in, it is hitched. The handle has a boss on it that holds it in where it will stay unless it is lifted and pulled back out against the strong spring.
High hitching is not really possible. If you are a little too high, the large part of the pin simply cannot enter the slot in the hitch. Nothing will happen except trying to push the trailer back. If you are a lot high, it can ride over the latch, but cannot activate the trigger. The handle does not move and you know it is not latched. So the possibility of getting a "bad" hitching is very minimal.
Of course, you could always forget and pull the handle with the front jacks still up and then pull away.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I don't think that DH and I are boneheads!! We purchased ours at the Tampa RV show a year ago. At the Fall Ralley in Goshen last Sept. we were setting our site up. We had already opened the pin when something distracted us and we needed to move the Monty forward. Because we were doing everything out of order and in an unusual situation (with lots of people around!)we forgot that we were unlatched. Bang went the Monty on to our beloved Blue OX!!!!! I know of at least one other person who went and ordered a bedsaver that week because of what he saw. I believe it could have happened to any one of us. DH and I use checklists every time we move. One checklist for the inside and one for the outside. We just didn't have one for this unusual situation.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ooohhhh! I got a shiver up my spine just reading this!
I too have the Pullrite Superglide and I definitely know when it's hitched (no mistaking the clunk!) BUT ... I still do a visual check before the tug test.
I don't believe they make a bedsaver for my hitch but I do think it's a great idea.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Of course, you could always forget and pull the handle with the front jacks still up and then pull away.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I don't believe those that say (regarding the drop issue), "there are those that have and those that will." That's like saying there are pilots that have landing gear up and those that will...not so.

A suggestion re the check list...if interupted, start over, that's the way the Army teaches its pilots and works well.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Possibly Charlie, but when all your campground pals are gathered around you talking, sometimes it is hard to get back to the checklist, the dog is barking, the wife is talking to you, the clock is ticking, you are thinking about that first cold beer... Stuff happens.
You give us camper types too much credit, I can't fly, so maybe I'm not disciplined enough.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike, Bill, Jay and Charlie--- This is not to be meant to be sarcastic but I will never say I will NEVER drop the Monte! Even if you have a check list and follow it, there's always that one time! I also do the tug test before leaving or raising the front landing gear all the way! It's the only correct thing to do! When I hitch up, I also hear the "clunk" and the DW always cringes a little when I do it. After I hitch up, I get out and check that the pin has the latch around it and put the safety pin in the handle BUT

I've seen a DROP even when the guy verified it was latched correctly. You can also ask Paul and Jan(JPKelpe) and John Kohl what happens when you come unhooked while on the road. Paul and Jan were on their way east after the Fall Rally and in an Ohio rest area. They had traveled all the way from Goshen to that rest area with no problems. On their way out of the rest area they went over some rough road and potholes and BAM, the Monte dropped! Guess what V'd tailgate!!
I don't have a Pullrite but if I did, I'd be asking Blue Ox to custom make me a Bedsaver! Yes, I live in Nebraska and it would be an easy trip up to Blue Ox because it is located here but even if I didn't live here, I'd still be doing some emailing and phone calls to them to see if they would make me a Saver!
I don't work for Blue OX and have no other connection with them except for talking to them as Wagonmaster of the Central Plains Regional Rally and asking if they will come to our Rally and show us their products. I believe in the Bedsaver and will always have one!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
OZZ, not to say anything bad about your HAV skills, but I would want mine installed and operating right the first time just as you would of me if I was a tradesman working on something that you were paying me to do. We all have our skills and disiplines. That is my view of hitching and unhitching my rv and it has worked for 5 years for me.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
We have a Trailer Saver hitch also. Love it! We would LOVE Blue Ox to make one for our type hitch, though. I wrote to them once but they did not answer. Maybe I will try again.

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote