Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
Dodge 2500 SB and 3400RL

Hey everybody. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new 3400RL. Will probably go do the PDI on Thursday of this week (CANT WAIT).

My question is this. We have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Short Bed. We have the hitch installed and are ready to go.

The payload on the truck is 2025lbs I believe and the pin weight of the 3400RL is 1975.

Does anyone have any experience with this set up, or one close to it? I am wondering if I need to order overload springs (such as Hellwig or SuperSprings).

I do not want the truck to sqwat when we are towing. Don't want to damage anything.

Any input you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JennyKraig

New owners of 2007 3400RL. 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO, 38RE, BW Companion 5er hitch.

Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My suggestion is that you do a search on the tow vehicle section. There has been extensive discussion of this item. You will soon learn in your reading that there is no general agreement on the tow vehicle issue. You will have to do your research and come to your conclusion. Glad to have you asking questions and your question is important, but we don't all agree about the answer.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Hi JennyKraig
I have a 2003 2500 long bed and have installed a set of air ride air springs with on board compressor, it was a well spent $500.00, it keeps the headlights out of others eyes and really smoothes out the ride. I pull a 3600RE, with the overload springs the truck is already squatting with lights in the sky before they come into play. With the air springs there is no squatting when you hook up, truck stays nice and level.

Rich and Marita
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I am towing with a 2005 Dodge 3500, Cummins Diesel, Short bed and have a cargo capacity of no more than 2000 lbs when loaded with fuel, the hitch, my wife and me, and a modest load of clothes and other "stuff'. My guess is that your actual cargo capacity may be somewhat less than you state when your truck is loaded for travel. The 1975 lbs pin weight is what I call the "out the factory door" pin weight. It means very little is absolute terms. By the time you add batteries, LP bottles, and even minimal equipment in the basement, you will be over the 1975 lbs stated by Keystone. In short, your truck WILL be overweight (based on its GVWR and cargo carrying capacity). As other on this forum will attest, I am slightly paranoid about the weight of our Monty and go to extreme lengths to keep as close to the GVWR of my truck as possible by removing anything not absolutely necessary from the front of the coach and the pin. It is still the case that the overload springs on the 3500 are compressed and there is a bit of sag in the rear end when the Monty is hitched up. As a result, I have installed air bags on my truck to keep it level. It does not require a lot of pressure in the bags to keep the truck level ... something in the 5 - 10 lbs range is sufficient for me.

If you are careful with your weights, you should be able to stay within the GAWR of your truck's rear axle. Installing air bags will permit you to keep things level. Most important, you have to realize that you are exceeding the stated limits and pushing the "engineering" limits of your truck when hauling the 3400. The big concern is not with the truck's ability to tow the 3400. Is your truck a Cummins Diesel? The concern is with the truck's ability to handle and control the weight of the 3400 in an emergency situation. You will be hauling between 6 and 7 tons of RV behind you and you have to be both careful and conservative when doing so.

The 2500 is not the optimal choice, in my view. In fact, neither is the 3500 short bed with single rear wheels that we have. But we made a compromise for a variety of reasons and have had no problems to date. Many folks haul big RVs with 2500s (and F-250s) and have no problems. My basic motto when hauling our Monty is an old expression from my Air Force days: "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots ... but there are no old, bold pilots!" Take your time, do not push yourself or your truck, and arrive in one piece.

Safe travels.

Bill

BEAUTY: 2005 Montana 3400RL
THE BEAST:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Pkg, 4X4, SRW, Cummins Turbo Diesel, Short Box, PullRite 16K Super Glide.
Guelph, Ontario

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Jenny My 2003 Dodge 2500 4x2 H.O. Diesel has a payload of 2780lbs. My 2004 Mountaineer 328rls has a pin weight of 1960lbs. So I`m sure they didn`t change the payload much in a couple years. All pre 2005 Dodge owners with a 5.9l H.O. Diesel ask your dealer about fuel pump kit that now when replaced goes into the fuel tank instead of on the engine. Mine went when we went to the Rifle River in Sterling Mich. in June. There could also be a silent recall on them so ask your dealer. Then when we pulled into Rideau Acres campground in Kingston Ontario my water pump went. Good thing I have the 7yr./160,000km. warranty which was included when I purchased the vehicle. Never had a problem with vehicle until now, only a few more pumps left to go. Hope everyone has had a good year camping to far, We`ve been gone every weekend except 2 weekends since easter and am enjoying every minute in the 5th.

Mark & Donita Gelinas
Windsor Ontario, Canada
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel H.O.
2004 Keystone Mountaineer 328rls

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/mgdg/
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Bill Frisbee is right on target. Also, all the airbags/booster springs/gizmos and gadgets cannot change the GVWR of your truck. When you add a realistic pin weight, passengers, full fuel, tools, cargo, and all the other 'stuff' we put in our trucks...you'll be over.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
Thanks for the valuable info!

I guess I was thinking that the pin weight was w/ all the batteries etc. etc. and then I wasn't taking in to account, me, wife, dogs, yada yada yada.

I thought we were going to be within the weight limits on our truck, and actually we put a lot of research (or so I thought) in to which RV/model to choose based on our tow vehicle.

So now that I have had my eyes opened to the 'real' deal....I am a bit nervouse about my purchase.

We will not be moving around a lot. This 5er is going to be towed to an RV park where it will sit with us in it for anywhere from 3 to 12 months before we move it again.

I am thinking the airbags are going to be the way to go. I understand they don't increase the vehicle weight rating etc. but that they only level the truck out.

Thanks again for the info and advice. I truely appreciate it.

The last thing I want to do is hurt anyone.
Kraig

New owners of 2007 3400RL. 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO, 38RE, BW Companion 5er hitch.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The air bags can eliminate the squat. In addition, if you have the onboard compressor you also can adjust the air pressure in the bags to smooth out the ride when you hit those jerky stretches of interstate or other less than desirable pavement. It won't eliminate the jerkiness but sure makes a big difference.

We've had 3400 owners report pinweight very close to the published brochure weight. We've had others report higher weights. I forgot the highest but I think it was around 2500 lbs. A lot will depend on how heavily you load the rig and how you load it. By that I mean weight behind the axles will reduce pinweight. In front of the axles increases it. The farther forward, the more of the weight goes on the pin (I think that's right. Someone correct if not.).

Our 3400 will be here by the end of August. After it's loaded as we run with it I'll take the weights and see where we're at. In any case the pinweight should be significantly less than the 3300 lbs on our 3295RK.

I think overload springs can help and possibly keep things level, as well. I don't have any experience with them on a tow vehicle.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
jimr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5202
I tow a 2006 3000 RK with a 2000 Dodge 2500 SB Truck. My truck is equiped with the camper suspension package and squats about 2 inches with my 3000 RK. The two inch squat puts my truck level and I have not had any problems. I am OK on GAW but over on CGVW. I have weighed the truck and trailer when loaded a couple of times. My pin weight is about 3000 pounds with the trailer loaded. The two axels on the trailer weigh in at 8700 pounds. Like you I typically don't tow long distances or often. Even though I have had no problems and my truck tows the Montana just fine, If I were towing more often or longer distance I would be looking for a TV with a larger CGVW.

Jim & Carol Ross
2006 3000RK, 2000 Dodge 2500 5 speed
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Montana_6094

M.O.C. #6094
Who installs air bags on your truck if you need them???
Montana_6094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
This spring we purchased a Montana 3650 RK. We already had a truck (2004 Dodge 2500 HD Quad cab with a short box, 2 wheel drive). When we picked up the camper I was wondering about the weight. I was amazed that you could hardly tell that the truck sagged. We haven't pulled it a great distance yet but the ride seems fine. I just installed a "fifth airborne" air hitch to the unit and I think I will like that a lot. Happy camping

Leonard in Iowa
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onthegorver

Who installs air bags on your truck if you need them???
Find a truck accessories store. Most cities of size have them. Even a smaller city like Elkhart, IN, has one - Dually Depot. I had them installed there on our '99 tow vehicle.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I agree with Bill--based on the actual weights posted by others, you should expect that your actual pin weight will be in the neighborhood of 2600# or more if you put any significant cargo in your basement storage area--the 1975# pin weight posted by Montana is the dry pin weight before adding in the heavier options and personal gear. You'll have to make your own personal judgment as to how comfortable you are if you end up being over the GVWR for the 3400 and/or exceeding the payload capacity of your truck once you weigh your truck and rig. If you are going to have your rig sit in the campground for most of the next year, then you only have to worry about getting it to the campground--once you have it up on jacks, you don't have the same load problems you have bouncing down the road being towed by your pickup.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
I purchased the air springs from a place called Allied Leisure Products Inc. out of Denver Colorado.

If you go with the Firestone bags, they are (for our truck anyhow) a NO-DRILL installation that I was able to do in about 2 hours.

That was taking my time.

We did not have to drill a single hole in the truck to install. (I did opt to drill two SMALL holes on each side of the license plate to mount the air fittings).

The installation was very easy. If you are mechanically inclined at all and can read the detailed directions, you can put these in yourself.

I inflated them to the minimum of 5psi after I installed them.

We then went to pick up the new 3400RL.

We hooked up and the truck squatted down to where it was level. The airbag pressure was up to about 14 lbs at this time.

Airbags require minimum of 5psi and max out at 100psi.

We towed the Montana home from Longmont CO to Rifle CO which is normally about a 4 hour drive.

This drive took all day, about 8 hours as we were really taking our time.

Truck handled the load incredibly well. Climbed the pass over the Continental Divide and then climbed Vail Pass with ease.

Coming down was uneventfull as well. Just put the automatic in 2nd and when we hit 40, we'd brake until we were at 30mpg etc etc.

No overheated brakes.

I am very pleased.

Although I understand what everyone is saying about being over weight, I do not feel that as long as one is carefull, and pays attention to what they are doing, you can safely tow this 3400RL with a 3/4 ton short bed.

The Cummins engine seemed to ask for more!

Thank you all again for the info. I appreciate everyone taking the time to give us insite in to things we may not have otherwise known, or thought of.