Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
route out g canyon to moab

What is best way out of grand canyon with thought of going towards. Moab??

Can we take the 64 east to 89 north??

Don't want any ickie surprises.

Thanx

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carol,
It has been a few years but we took sr64 over to 89 with no regrets. Are you stopping in Monument Valley on the way to Moab?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might be Charlie, in the planning stages, thanks for the info!!! and hints!!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You and Al are just having a ball arn't you Carol?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Monument Valley is right on the way Carol, a must see. Are you going to stay in the campground at Arches? I hear the campground hosts there are fantastic, topnotch, best of the best, but they leave end of the month
Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Charlie, another fantastic, topnotch, best of the best couple take over May 1.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You're right Doug, Carol is luck not matter when she goes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hi guys, yes, we are having a pretty good time of it! I mean, after 30 years of dreams and 5 years of not being able to get past I 35, it is finally about time, and every single moment is precious.

Hey, don't get me wrong there have been a few of those moments that were trying as well as being precious! Like last week dealing with a bucket full of issues, some of which had to do with Big Butt. But, we dropped a few dimes, ok, a LOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$ on the ole dude and he is now running just FINE.

We are doing the Monument Valley, only took us a few minutes to say yes to that one. Arches or general area is next. Not sure if we will stay in the park or not, working on it. I mean, we have reservations for Monument Valley already, that is like way too much planning for us. Only thing we had planned when we drove away from the house mid November was that we just HAD to make Quartzsite. Every other stop or stay has been written in dust.

I could really get used to this!

Most of ya know how to follow us, ya, that blog thingy, at the bottom of my sig line is the URL.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol and AL,
Now you're having fun! I'd like to suggest a couple of additional things to see and do while you're in the area. I don't know what your time frame for traveling is but you're going to be very close to several major items. Four Corners. I must admit I've not yet visited this place but it is on my list. Last time we had to leave before we had a chance to see it because our daughter was giving birth to our first granddaughter. But next time we will make it. From what I understand there is not much to see or do. But I simply want to stand in 4 states at the same time!

A truly grand site to see it the Mesa Verde area. Some of the oldest remains of Native Americans are located in this area. It is a must see! As you can see there are many things to see and do in the SW. If you're going to be back this way in the next few years then you should take your time and visit them when you have more time.

There is simply so much to see and do that you could easily spend several seasons checking things out.

Good luck and keep us updated. By the way you should stay in the CG located near the Monument Valley area. I don't know where the KOA is but the park at Gould's is the best! Try to get site number 22 or 23 or 24. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact number but it gives a great view. The URL for them is included here; Gouldings at Monument Valley

And you MUST take one of the tours! We seldom take tours but this one is definitely a must do. We were fortunate to get a very knowledgeable and funny tour guide. Native Navajo of course. We took the short tour but you can get an all day tour that included lunch. Just be sure you hang on with all your might when they start getting into the real outback! Fortunately they give you plenty of things to hang on to!

Enjoy, Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Four corners is a neat place, lots of Indians selling their things too, along with food, such as Indian Fried bread, Lots of Turqoise jewlery,etc. The first time we were there there weren't many people selling things, next time different story. there is a place you can stand on so you can be in four states at a time. won't take long to stop there, unless of course you like to look at things for sale
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks guys for your continuing support and suggestions! Really, we appreciate them so much.

Not sure 4 corners will make this trip, as we are going to turn west again after Arches and go over to Bryce and Zion. This Grand Canyon is pretty hard to get around, and seems there are great parks and such on both sides of the state of Utah. Just what is a gal to do?? Drive a bunch of miles, that's what. And, with the price of gas, this is no small feat, err, expense.

After that, we will turn north once again and fingers crossed, hope to die, all that rot, I will finally get to Salt Lake City, family history researching heaven! Al has been promising me this part of the trip for a LONG time, year after year, disappointment after disappointment, trips cancelled time and time again. I am almost afraid to hope it might really happen this time!

And,that is about all we have figured out, and we keep adjusting the plan as we go, cause it is all written in dust.

Pinch me, nahhhh, just keep tossing ideas at me! I can take it!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We just really like that area of Utah, Azizona, Colorado and New Mexico. Returning from the Pacific Coast last summer we stayed in Moab and in Blanding,UT to see the sights. If you stop in Blanding, go to the Museum there--it is really great and looks like no one visits. Check out our trip journals for more on our travels or drop me an email. Most of all--enjoy everything.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
The trip will be fantastic, enjoy it! While in Moab,stop and stay with us at the OK RV Park south of town. Off the highway and quiet. Safe travels.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Whatever you do, pick your restaurants carefully. I would avoid the national chain restaurant located on the west side of the highway in Moab.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Carol and Al -
Glad to hear you-'re having a great time. We visited Moab and Arches/Canyonlands last year. They have a great RV park there and you will love the scenery. Be sure to see the petroglyphs. Enjoy.a
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you already have my suggested routes so this is additional. At Monument Valley there's really only one park, Goulding's CG, and it's right there in the valley. Beautiful setting, too. We highly recommend you spring the $ for the tour provided by the natives. You can arrange it and get picked up at the rv park office. They will take you onto private reservation to see things you otherwise will not be able to see. We don't often spend the $ for a tour but this one is definitely worthwhile. Keep in mind there is just one stop with a restroom and that's near the end.

Goulding's wifi sucks and you have to pay an exorbitant price for it. We had no cell signal for the aircard. We were in site 20 and it's fine but 34 looks like the best site. We were there in '08 so maybe the cell or wifi signal situation has changed.

While in Monument Valley, do drive up to Goosenecks State Park. Many of our members have boondocked there for free. There's no entrance fee. Here's where Robbie and Alice stayed while we were at goulding's.

and here's what you see from that site..

that's Robbie's aircard antenna on his lawn chair.

And while there, drive the Moki Dugway, since you're right there anyhow. Do it solo. Beautiful drive and not very long. When headed from Goulding's Goosenecks SP and Moki Dugway you'll pass through the town of Mexican Hat, of western lore. North of town, watch to the right and see if you can spot the Mexican Hat. We packed a lunch and drove around the Hat and had lunch next to the river.

In Moab we stayed at Portal RV Park. It's 3 miles from the entrance to Arches. Besides Arches and Canyonlands I'd recommend driving east on the south side of the Colorado river. Beautiful drive. Also go west on the south side. From Canyonlands you could take the Shafer Trail down to Moab but you might not want to do that with Big Butt. It's a great drive, though! Tight turns, and mabye too tight for Big Butt although probably doable.

Along this route, once back on flatter ground, is where the Thunderbird was driven off the cliff in Thelma and Louise. Oh, out east along the Colorado river is a movie museum (free) at a ranch, one of those tourist lodges. It's very interesting and includes the dummy that represented either Thelma or Louise when they went off the cliff. Also, note, in Moab, the room at a motel where John Wayne stayed when filming somethingorother. If you want some pointers to the postcards for the area on our website, let me know. I imagine they're in the 2006 postcards. Sometimes, like now, we're behind on the postcards. We spent a month in Moab and a month near Bryce Canyon so you know the postcards have a number of things to see that most people never even know about.

We highly recommend Moab Diner. Right on the main road, east side. Good food, reasonable prices. We ate there several times during our month in Moab.

Shoot, I've barely begun, but that's enough for now. Can you tell we really enjoyed Utah? And I'll echo what was said about Mesa Verde NP.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Update of sorts:

Did the 3.5 hour tour, paid the $$, well worth it!!!

Staying at Gouldings, wifi is now free, but, still campground wifi, and in following with most of our experiences with campground wifi, shaky. The air card sorta works, can we say, SLOW?? The amp still does NOT work, and for the life of us cannot figure out how all of you are getting those things to work??????? We actually have 2 of them in Tana right now, and neither works. SIGHHH

And, again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions, reading every single one, several times! MOC has really good tour guides! WAHOOOO!!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,
Interesting place isn't it. Did you lose anyone out of the truck that carted you around? Hope you like red sand! Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis, believe the truck left and returned same number of people. We were up front (2nd row) and the bouncing was not tooooooo bad.

Red sand, have you ever had the experience by tacking on a bit of rain?? Ya, interesting - - and, mmmm, snarly messy!

Comes with the territory - -