Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Seeking Travel advice-DC-SW Va - NC

We are thinking of heading from the DC area to to Charlotte, NC via SW Va, the Weyethville area. Planning on I-66 to Middletown and then I-81 to Weyethville, staying there for a couple of days. I-77 from there to Charlotte. I'm a bit concerned about the hills and underpasses along the route. Any comments from those who have done it? Also any campground info for either area (Weyethville or Charlotte, NC)

Thanks,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've towed that route in both directions and didn't have any problems. Our 3295RK is most likely heavier than your 3655FL and we had no trouble at all. I wouldn't think your Dodge would have any problems, either. Good luck. Enjoy the trip. Sorry, I'm not familiar with campgrounds in either of those areas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
PJ & Nan
We travel those route quite often going from our current home in GA to our vacation home in WV. No need to worry about underpasses. We have never towed the Monty on this route, but would not hesitate to do so and are planning on doing just that in the not too distant future. I think as long as you stick to the interstates when towing you will have no problems. We have towed our cargo trailer (which I use for art shows) on this route many times with no problems. Am sure someone will jump in here with some suggest campgrounds.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Our son goes to Radford University so we do Rt 7 to I81 at Winchester and then down but we stop just south of Radford at Exit 100 (Claytor Lake State Park) which is north of Weyethville. We have no problems with the hills or underpasses to that point I would highly recommend Claytor Lake if you can stay a little farther north. Nice clean campground with Water, electric, clean bathhouses, and a dumping station (no on-site sewer).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patodonn, I missed your point about underpasses until I read Joyce H's post. If you're concerned about clearance, if you can go to a truck stop, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc., and get a Motor Carriers Road Atlas, in the front is a section showing most of the low clearance places throughout the country. I marked these on my Street Atlas software as best I could so I can see them when planning a route. That atlas is invaluable if you travel on "strange" roads very often. I've also found only a couple of times when I changed a route slightly to avoid a low clearance item.

By the way, if you want to avoid interstates, one trip we took highway 15 from I-66 down to I-64 around Charlottesville. It's a pretty drive and an easy tow. If I recall there's a couple of low bridges in Charlottesville but we took the bypass around town so no problem. As much as we can we take the two lane roads as they're far more interesting, usually much smoother roads, and usually less traffic. But we're not in vacation mode when getting there as quickly as possible is the goal, either.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Thanks to everyone for the info..we may try the State Park at Exit 100. We will probably stay on the Interstate, since it is about a 300 mile tow, and we usually only do 250 or so...longish day at 296 miles. The State Park will cut that to about 275, quite a bit more relaxed day.

Best,

PJ
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote