Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #101
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Rich, just an FYI ~ the SOB is no longer using a sewer boom. They built a hose carrier into the port connection and dumped the boom. They said they had too many customer complaints about the boom not being useful and created more issues than solutions. Glad to hear you are liking your Big Sky...
we have seen three new SOB's of your brand and they all had the boom removed. We will give the boom a chance .My thought was to use the boom as a hose carrier since the Big Sky does not have anyplace to store a sewer hose.

The Big Sky has thus far exceeded my expectations in terms of fit and finish and quality..we shall see.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #102
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:

Rich, just an FYI ~ the SOB is no longer using a sewer boom. They built a hose carrier into the port connection and dumped the boom. They said they had too many customer complaints about the boom not being useful and created more issues than solutions. Glad to hear you are liking your Big Sky...
we have seen three new SOB's of your brand and they all had the boom removed. We will give the boom a chance .My thought was to use the boom as a hose carrier since the Big Sky does not have anyplace to store a sewer hose.

The Big Sky has thus far exceeded my expectations in terms of fit and finish and quality..we shall see.
They must have done a nice job on your new Big Sky Rich...especially if you are saying it has exceeded your expectations. Like you, I too expect a company to build me a product with the same hard work and ethics that it took me to earn the money to pay for it. Happy RV'ing!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #103
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I too am impressed with the hide-a-bed mattress, had my 73 year old dad sleep on it a few nights and liked it! it is made of thick material and is easy to set up and break down GOOD JOB KEYSTONE!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #104
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I'm pretty shocked that many remove the boom. I find it very convenient. The low clearance might potentially be an issue but the back end of the rig is very low also. After pretty heavy use I'm glad mine has the boom. :P
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #105
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
the boom is still in the test mode for us. I think our main concern is that we camp at a lot of sites that require extra long sewer hose like at the fall rally and there is no place to store extra hose.Also when the sewer connection is at the very rear of the Rv, like at the fall rally, the boom has trouble swinging back that far. My personal opinion thus far is that compaired with the 06 3400 the boom is a PITA.Now if they had left the storage compartment in the rear fender well I would have no complaints. That may be a fall rally project...We have a open mind on the boom and will give it a fair chance.

trying not to get to carried away but thus far we are very pleased with the 2013Big Sky...Execpt for those stupid sloppy workmanship issues in the TOP OF THE LINE ..BEST YOU CAN BUY MONTANA PRODUCT.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #106
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,

Have you found the new leather furniture to be comfortable? Any likes or dislikes about them??
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #107
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

Rich,

Have you found the new leather furniture to be comfortable? Any likes or dislikes about them??
we did not go for the leather as neither Helen or I like leather.
We went standard and it is nice stuff.far better than the 06 3400.

I will say that we were impressed with the quality of the OEM leather.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #108
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Being the kind of person that likes to shock people, I removed the boom without even giving it any chance at all! First of all, I cannot use the extra valve and a clear elbow with the boom and I refuse to get splash when opening the cap. There is no room to store any extra hose so I cut a space in the side and installed a sewer door, store 30 feet with no problem.
But then again, I like to shock people!
Glad you're pretty happy with the new Big Sky Rich, can't wait to see it at the rally.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #109
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..Exactly the same observation we had with the boom. First thing I did was try to use the clear elbow and it did not fit.Also no room for extra hose.Do the folks that DESIGN these things ever use them??We carry about 30 feet of sewer hose with us.What are we supposed do do with the stinky extra sewer hose after we use it?? The sewer door will no doubt happen but..I will have to get it painted to match the Big Sky colors on this TOP OF THE LINE, BEST YOU CAN BUY, MONTANA PRODUCT.

Also installed the struts on the cabinet doors that open upward and there is nothing to hold them up.Cost me a entire 18.00 for 4 struts.
member of our local camping group has a entry level TT and his upward opening doors have struts???? Why did our upward opening cabinet doors on this
TOP OF THE LINE , BEST YOU CAN BUY, MONTANA PRODUCT not need anything to hold them up???

This is a really nice camper ands we are pleased with it.....but..give me a break..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #110
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Montana/Big Sky are not the only coaches to not place struts on the upward opening cabinets. I have two cabinets that also did not come with struts and will have to look at my options once I finally pick it up. Thor must have a thing against using struts on upward cabinet doors...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #111
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Montana Sky

Recently purchased a Montana 3700 with the leather chairs. Also, within the past year bought two leather La-Z-Boy chairs for the SB, which doesn't make me an expert analyst, but does give me some ability to compare.

To give you some perspective, I'm an active, in shape, Social Security eligible, person who does not sit a lot. I'd say on average, I might spend an hour a day in the recliner, laptopping or watching TV. When not working, I do like to take a nap, but nodding is pretty much hit or miss, depending on what the Secretary of The Interior has for me to do.

Based on this information, many consider the "leather" aspect to be of primary importance, but comfort trumps feel or looks for me. In other words, when I sit down I want to feel settled and not monkey with ergonomics. As far as that goes, after ten days in the new rig I'm already pondering ways to get rid of the leather recliners in the Montana. They are just hard to love.

For example, I always have two oblong pillows on both sides of my chair to prop up my knees, place behind my head, and/or wedge behind my back. Granted, I also have pillows for the La-Z-Boy too, but one less due to the adjustable "click" foot riser on this chair.

Importantly, the seats on both of the aforementioned loungers are way soft and make my tailbone feel like it just spent a month in a North Korean prison. Your mileage might vary, but I'd give the La-Z- Boy a 7 and the Montana one a 2. To be honest, I didn't expect much more, because after reading a truckload of forum articles over the last decade, folks just don't have much good to say about RV furniture.

Some day I'm going to spend the money on one of those fancy chair models that you see at upscale furniture stores. For the present time, however, guess I'll just carry my pillows and cushions around to make sitting in the 3700 a little more bearable.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #112
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Steve..Exactly the same observation we had with the boom. First thing I did was try to use the clear elbow and it did not fit.Also no room for extra hose.Do the folks that DESIGN these things ever use them??We carry about 30 feet of sewer hose with us.What are we supposed do do with the stinky extra sewer hose after we use it?? The sewer door will no doubt happen but..I will have to get it painted to match the Big Sky colors on this TOP OF THE LINE, BEST YOU CAN BUY, MONTANA PRODUCT.

Also installed the struts on the cabinet doors that open upward and there is nothing to hold them up.Cost me a entire 18.00 for 4 struts.
member of our local camping group has a entry level TT and his upward opening doors have struts???? Why did our upward opening cabinet doors on this
TOP OF THE LINE , BEST YOU CAN BUY, MONTANA PRODUCT not need anything to hold them up???

This is a really nice camper ands we are pleased with it.....but..give me a break..
Been saying this for years...NO! Nor do they work on them!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #113
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dontana
... Your mileage might vary, but I'd give the La-Z- Boy a 7 and the Montana one a 2. To be honest, I didn't expect much more, because after reading a truckload of forum articles over the last decade, folks just don't have much good to say about RV furniture.
Couldn't agree more with you. I'm 6'5" and I have difficulty finding any recliner that doesn't leave my calves feeling like they are hanging over a ledge. They never extend long enough to support my legs below the knee and too short from the knee to lower back. RV furniture is even worse. I know they are not trying to fit "gigantore" in an RV but that is the whole reason why I feel the need for such a large rig!
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #114
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We actually like the leather furniture in our 3402rl i did not think I would, i like cloth better but my wife said it looks classier so we went with the leather ,I am 6'4 230 lbs and I think they are very comfy and good for nappin and our cats LOVE sleeping on the top of them so thumbs up for us!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #115
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Yet......we continue to buy them and complain to no avail.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #116
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Having had a Montana since April 2006 and attending every fall rally since then here are some observations.We know that the keystone Montana folks are at all the rallies listening to us and asking questions. We have seen them yellow legal pad in hand at our show and tell sessions taking notes. We know that at the factory tour sessions they present prototype models and vendor prototypes for our input.We have seen over the past 6 years many improvements in the Montana's that coincidentally were improvemnets the MOC group suggested. Wet bolt assembly for one. More options like the G614 tires, full body paint.
This 2013 Big sky is a far better 5th wheel than our 2006 3400. We do offer constructive criticism and they do make improvements.That they happen to be improvements the MOC members suggest..well....who knows.

We saw a change made after many ladies observed that the cabinet handles were high on top of the cabinets on the 3400 and 3402 beside the fridge...they are now at the bottom.The ladies wanted a step stool, one appeared..coincidence???

They have a long way to go.These stupid sloppy workmanship issues are avoidable and take away from a otherwise good product.The ongoing graphic issues are a shame.

But....they do value our input and over the 6 years we have owned a Montana there have been huge positive changes.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #117
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dontana

Montana Sky

Recently purchased a Montana 3700 with the leather chairs. Also, within the past year bought two leather La-Z-Boy chairs for the SB, which doesn't make me an expert analyst, but does give me some ability to compare.

To give you some perspective, I'm an active, in shape, Social Security eligible, person who does not sit a lot. I'd say on average, I might spend an hour a day in the recliner, laptopping or watching TV. When not working, I do like to take a nap, but nodding is pretty much hit or miss, depending on what the Secretary of The Interior has for me to do.

Based on this information, many consider the "leather" aspect to be of primary importance, but comfort trumps feel or looks for me. In other words, when I sit down I want to feel settled and not monkey with ergonomics. As far as that goes, after ten days in the new rig I'm already pondering ways to get rid of the leather recliners in the Montana. They are just hard to love.

For example, I always have two oblong pillows on both sides of my chair to prop up my knees, place behind my head, and/or wedge behind my back. Granted, I also have pillows for the La-Z-Boy too, but one less due to the adjustable "click" foot riser on this chair.

Importantly, the seats on both of the aforementioned loungers are way soft and make my tailbone feel like it just spent a month in a North Korean prison. Your mileage might vary, but I'd give the La-Z- Boy a 7 and the Montana one a 2. To be honest, I didn't expect much more, because after reading a truckload of forum articles over the last decade, folks just don't have much good to say about RV furniture.

Some day I'm going to spend the money on one of those fancy chair models that you see at upscale furniture stores. For the present time, however, guess I'll just carry my pillows and cushions around to make sitting in the 3700 a little more bearable.
Thanks for the information. I have a friend that is looking to buy a new Big Sky and called me to find out what I thought of mine. I told him that I ended up ordering a SOB instead and they were in disbelief. He asked what prompted me to look at something else and the first thing out of my mouth was the furniture. Having had my knees, back, and both shoulders operated on, I find that I am very picky when it comes to comfort now. I wanted a Big Sky, but ended up getting a better deal on another product. I did not want to try and persuade them into not buying a Montana/Big Sky just because of my reasons, but I also felt I needed to point out that the leather furniture is a "upgrade with an upgraded price" and I just felt it was sure missing something. Glad to know that I am not the only ones who felt the furniture was hard and not so comfortable.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #118
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The regular cloth sofa and recliners are very comfortable.The leather is a upgrade option at a high price. It just so happens that Helen and I do not like leather so never condidered having it.Of course we are not big people and that makes a difference in good fit.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #119
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,

You are right there, size does matter. I think that is the biggest problem I had with the leather...I am too big for them. Being over 6' tall and +30 inches across from shoulder to shoulder, I just could not get comfortable in them. The sofa I found to be rock hard and too short for me. Having an 80" sofa that is overstuffed and has springs built into it is a big plus for me. I basically told my friends that the furniture in the new Big Sky reminds me of a Southwest Airlines seat...to short, too narrow, and too darn hard. I am glad that the furniture in your new coach works well for you... I also look forward to hearing how your new coach treats you over the next 12 months.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #120
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may recall that our 06 3400 had no problems what so ever for over 6 months then then literary with up in smoke.We are optimistic on this one but keeping a watchful eye.