Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
AC for bedroom--which model/options to get?

We have been persuaded by the very helpful discussions on this forum to get a second air conditioner for the bedroom since we will be living in our Big Sky for weeks this summer in the heat and humidity of Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia. Now the tougher decision of which model/options to get, so I'm soliciting more excellent advice from this forum.

The first decision for me seems to be whether to go with the low profile vs. standard size unit. Looks like the height difference between the low profile Penguin and the standard size Dometic or Coleman units is around 3". How important is it to go with the low profile version? I'm putting Max Aire covers over the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen and the Fantastic Fan I'm adding to the vent next to the shower, so with the arch of the roof, I expect that these vent covers will be the high points on my rig--higher than a full size AC up forward. Am I wrong on this? And if the height differenc is not a significant issue, is there any other reason to go with a low profile unit and/or are there advantages to going with a full size unit (I seem to recall someone suggesting that the low profile units might be noisier than the full size units)?

If going with the full size unit, there then seem to be additional choices to consider--high efficiency/power saver options and/or heat strips--either built in (with the Coleman) or add on to the Dometic. What are the pros and cons of the high efficiency and the heat strip options? Does an $80 heat strip in the air conditioner give you something significantly more worthwhile than just putting a portable ceramic heater in the bedroom at night?

Finally, if things are otherwise the same, is there any reason to go with a Coleman model vs. a Dometic model vs. some other model?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I only only have a comment on the low profile vs the standard A/C unit. We had to have our low profile unit changed out to the standard because it was dripping inside the living room area. If we were parked on a very slight grade and not perfectly level the pan would overflow and condensation would drip into our unit. Maybe they have fixed this problem by now but at the time our choice was to have it retrofitted with a pan mod or replace with a standard unit. We opted for the standard unit.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I only only have a comment on the low profile vs the standard A/C unit. We had to have our low profile unit changed out to the standard because it was dripping inside the living room area. If we were parked on a very slight grade and not perfectly level the pan would overflow and condensation would drip into our unit. Maybe they have fixed this problem by now but at the time our choice was to have it retrofitted with a pan mod or replace with a standard unit. We opted for the standard unit.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I only have a comment on the low profile vs the standard A/C unit. We had to have our low profile unit changed out to the standard because it was dripping inside the living room area. If we were parked on a very slight grade and not perfectly level the pan would overflow and condensation would drip into our unit. Maybe they have fixed this problem by now but at the time our choice was to have it retrofitted with a pan mod or replace with a standard unit. We opted for the standard unit.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Sorry to have sent the same reply three times, It kept saying there was an error but the only error was me.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
5er, You can erase the other 2 postings with the icon with the garbage can that is only visible to you. It probably was not your error, I have had it not show that the message was posted so I would click on post new reply again, when the 1st time was enough. But in my case I had written a long note and did not want to lose it so I made sure it was posted and then went back and deleted the other messages. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David -

We are extremely happy with the full size Dometics (Brisk-air). It may be tall, but they are quiet, and NO DRIPS (so far). The low profile Penquin on our 2003 was our worst nightmare, and could only be run with a bucket on the kitchen floor. It also leaked water into the ceiling and damaged the roof and stained the curtains. I know some folks have had good luck, but it was a factory defect which later came out with a fix (only problem is it didn't really fix it).

By the way, if you are adding an aftermarket, you could have a Dometic installed that works in harmony with your existing thermostat. It would take additional wiring between ACs and a sensor in the bedroom, but the thermostat is capable to operate 2 ACs as separate zones. Keystone doesn't do this with the factory option AC.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The way I understood that Penguin that leaked is that part of the design flaw was that it was ON the slanted portion of the roof. I got feelings from talking to people at service center that it may not have peed all over us, IF it were installed in the front , where the roof is a bit more flat (at least on our unit, your unit could be different).

I would feel more comfy with the 3 or so inch shorter a/c unit, it is awful tall up there now. My comfort zone would be gettin real short with a full sized a/c.

Comfort zones are great, we each get to listen to our own yelling, yes, no, yes, no!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks for the good comments. One question that I have--I thought that the factory installed bedroom AC option was a standard size AC, not the low profile. Am I wrong on this? If the factory puts in a standard size unit, I'm assuming that it doesn't create a height hazard as I haven't heard anyone talk about scraping the front AC off their roof.

On the other hand, I'm not hearing anything bad about the low profile version of a bedroom AC--Brad, I assume your problem with your Duotherm AC was with a full-size unit--am I correct?

Anyone have a problem with the low profile Duotherm Penguin?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David - no-no-no -

It was the Low-Profile Duo-Therm Penguin (Dometic) that we had so much trouble with (our 2003). Poor design for the angle on the roof. Keystone no longer installs them on the Montana.

The factory now installs the full height Dometic Duo-Therm Brisk Air on the front, which is the same as the back only non-ducted. So far we love them - quieter than the Penguin, and no drips.

If you already have the height with your vent covers, I would highly recommend the standard size Dometic (see sig pic).

Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Brad--so good news and bad news. The good news in what you post is your confirmation that Keystone is able to put a full size unit up front if you order the OEM optional bedroom air conditioner without anyone reporting that their air conditioners get wiped out by overpasses on the highway.

The bad news is the problem you had with the Duotherm Penguin (Dometic) installed up front. But I confess I'm puzzled as to whether that was a design problem that Dometic fixed, or whether the problem still exists. If it was simply a matter that the Penguin can't safely be placed on a sloping roof area, then I would think it wouldn't work on any Montanas since it seems to me all the roof lines have a slope downward over the bedroom area (the Big Sky certainly does). However, looking back over older posts, I see several people on this forum reporting that they have the low profile Penguin model up front in their bedrooms without experiencing the problem you had. Does that mean Dometic fixed the problem and the low profile Penguin can now be placed up front in the bedroom?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have the low profile up front no problems at all.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #13
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We have the Dometic Brisk air on our 3400. I added the heat coil ($60 at Camping World) and it's been great. We're in Southern Il and run the fan only to help the main unit...nice white noise at night. On HOT days, run it at low cool with the main unit at 70 deg. The heat strip is great during the winter....it'll take the chill off the entire RV but isn't sufficient to solely heat the whole unit.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That I can't answer David.

Our penguin on the 2003 was actually on the rear slope towards the top of the roof. They didn't move the AC to the far back until around 2005 on all models, and that's when they changed over to the full size AC.

I think Montana Sky has the Penguin in the front. You might PM him.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I had the Penguin on our previous 2955RL - it leaked inside and had the mod kit put in. I had it switched out under warranty to the full size Duo Therm and no more problems. I am not sure I could be convinced to buy another lo profile.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
It concerns me what I'm reading about the leaking Penguins. I installed the low profile unit in the bedroom of our 2004 in 2005 and then removed it and put it in the front of my 2007. It has worked fine and have not noticed any leaks. You can bet that I will be taking the air shroud off and looking real hard when I clean the filter.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Redrover98,

I am pretty sure the Penguin ONLY leaked when they are installed on a roof with a big time slant. Your bedroom should be fine, but a little looking around is a good thing, might prevent future difficulties.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #18
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Mrs. CountryGuy, thanks for the encouraging post about my a/c. I just hate a leaky Penguin. lol

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote