Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
marty173rd@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #21239
Keystone Concerns

Been camping most of my life, from tents to fifthwheels. Owned Jayco lites, Eagles, Coachmans and currently this POS 2018 Keystone Montana High Country. Purchased new for our crosscountry trip of a lifetime. We have had so many problems with this rig that it would take me an hour to list them from bad faucets, defective shower wall, collapsing closet shelving, defective slideout gearbox, defective toilet, defective self leveling system, damaged slideout facia, hole in kitchen flooring, paneling and trim falling off, just to name a few. Seems that Camping World Myrtle Beach can’t repair things until KEYSTONE authorizes it. I purchased this unit new and all I hear form Keystone is they approve patchwork. My problem is I spent a substantial amount of $ for a NEW unit, NOT A PATCHWORK REFURBISHED UNIT. On our trip all of the things that went wrong had to be repaired at my expense. When we got home I submitted a claim to KEYSTONE and was only partially reimbursed. Alecia was the contact that I delt with and when I asked to speak to her supervisor she refused. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS REMOTELY CLOSE TO THIS WITH JAYCO, COACHMAN, OR ANY OTHER COMPANY I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss details

marty173rd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Welcome to Montana forum.

sorry about your issues.

suggestion is keep at it, montana will deal with your issues. and I'd suggest you come to the fall rally in indiana if possible---they have techs there that WILL help you.

another suggestion is to use more paragraphs, your one paragraph was hard to read for this old guy.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Welcome to Montana forum.

sorry about your issues.

suggestion is keep at it, montana will deal with your issues. and I'd suggest you come to the fall rally in indiana if possible---they have techs there that WILL help you.

another suggestion is to use more paragraphs, your one paragraph was hard to read for this old guy.
I`ll leave my horror story about Keystone and Camping World off the forum till it has played out. I know it might make sense to some people to drive 2300 or more miles to get minor things repaired at "The Rally" but not to me.
I put in paragraphs in my posts but A LOT of times they disappear when I submit it.......... Yeh I know it doesn`t happen to you.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Few RVs come off the Production Line/Dealer Prep without issues unfortunately and buyer PDIs before taking delivery have become more and more necessary unfortunately, and even then more things materialize after some use. Certainly understand your anger and frustration. Hope you get your rig fixed and traveling again soonest. Keystone Customer Service is not what it was five years ago, in my opinion, and many of us end up making repairs on our dime which should not be.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Keystone is not exclusive to problems. I have friends that have SOB's and their problem are much worse than mine ever were and I had over 40 items on my PDI list.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I think folks are just going to have to get legal on them. Clearly, if viable problems are not being covered under warranty it makes for an easy case to win. Trailer Life magazine is in bed with Keystone but when they are presented with a clear and concise issue, they often help with resolution.

On another note, as shared many times in this forum, an extensive PDI reveals many issues which the dealer jumps on immediately. They are not dealing with Keystone cherry picking what they will or will not fix. They get it done and generally very quickly. Yet, once the trailer leaves the lot it is a totally different experience.

OP, sorry for your experience. All we can ask for is fairness and I hope you find it.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry for your troubles. Our experience with two Montana's has been just the opposite. In my opinion the dealer makes all the difference.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We are on our 3rd Montana and have been pleased with them. Like Dick says a lot depends on the dealer.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Sorry about your issues. Keep the heat on with your dealer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Marty173rd, I would not put all of your repair woes off on Keystone. We bought our 2017 3820FK from the same CW in Myrtle Beach. Everything was great until the ink dried on the sale. Immediately rolled into the service "side of the house" and our nightmare began. So much so that I began a notebook of when I called, who I spoke to, and the response, if any. Since we lived in Summerville brought it N. Charleston store. Equally as miserable. Given the choice between a root canal, sharp stick in the eye, or going to CW for service not really which I'd pick. Been reading this forum since our purchase and there is boatload of knowledge on here and there are those who have had good experiences with their CW. Very happy for them. But for me, either fix it myself or call in one of the hungry mobile techs who I have had good experiences with. Only chimed in here to let you know you are not the Lone Ranger. Good luck, Joe.
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Spinkco

M.O.C. #23385
I to have a new Montana HC 305rl, have had nothing but problems. Yesterday went to get the warranty work on the leaking slide motors, two months out for an appointment to take pictures, then submit to Keystone, another 2-4 weeks for confirmation to do the warranty work. Another 2 weeks to do the repair. The warranty will expire, before all the problems get repaired. I have gotten to use the trailer for one week out of the last 5 months.
Similar to other people, Camping World Las Vegas service dept. is horrible! Contractor mechanics, who do terrible work. This new Montana went in for a list of problems for two months, came out with other problems, that the mechanics created doing shoddy work. Debris and garbage left inside, scratched counter, stripped bolts, damage electrical wires, stained floor, propane hot water not working, electric on refrigerator not working, ceiling fan blade bent, battery not connected, all new problems from the first warranty work visit. Need to find another shop.
Not to happy with this Montana, liked my Jayco better!
Henderson, NV.
Spinkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would be a good idea to froward these horror stories to Keystone. I would.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Spinkco, if Johnny walker is still operating you may want to give them a look see. They did good work on the two class a's that I had when I lived there.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I think the dealer is the best link in the chain. I bought the extended warranty, and also let them know i was going to buy a new Montana 2 years after we bought our 2017 3820FK. That carrot in front of their nose helped me get the service i wanted. You don't even have to really buy one every two years, but just telling them works wonders. Plus I would privately tip the service manager to make sure my 5th wheel got the attention I wanted. Now my dealer has been bought out by CW, and so we bought a 5th wheel SOB from another dealer that costs twice as much as the Montana 3820FK, thinking that we would have less problems, and on their forum, I see all kinds of problems as well. I think it boils down to the fact that we are their QA. They don't have the means to road test these, so we are it.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Nothing will kill a companies reputation and their bottom line long term faster than getting labeled as producing a poor product that they won't stand behind...Keystone better get their act together quick...
Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
They don't have to, because none of the other RV companies are doing anything better!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
Spinkco

M.O.C. #23385
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
They don't have to, because none of the other RV companies are doing anything better!
So true!
Henderson, NV.
Spinkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #18
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Welcome to our little forum - glad to have you aboard.

Oh, I saw Camping World mentioned in your update. That may be the real problem. A coupld of years ago I ran into a couple pulling an Cougar 28SGS like mine. The owner and I did walk thrus of both units and found the Cougar from Camping World lacked many features ours had.

And, their beadroom slide (wardrobe) was currently not functioning. They were a premier CW customer, the local CW told them they could get to it in 5-6 weeks. We were in South Dakota, a long way from their Florida home.

I think CW orders and buys sub standard units so they can sell known brands at lower prices. I'm sure if you search this forum and other RV forums, you'll find very few positive reviews for CW and their service.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #19
R&JCovington
Established Member

M.O.C. #20943
The dealer makes all the difference! I have a guy, Anthony Lopez, Aloha RV in Albuquerque NM, who knows these Keystones inside and out, and he knows the issues with Keystone.
He will go out of his way to help you. Give him a call at (505) 797-8444 and explain your issues. Give him my name, Roy Covington. And if you need parts shipped, he's definitely your man.
Good luck, hope he can help you!
R&JCovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I have had various Montanas for 16 years using different models and features. A substantial loss in quality has occurred over the years. A Keystone customer service representative told me the same. I said, who would accept a new car that had this many troubles; her reply was, we are not regulated so the industry does not have to comply to any given standard like the automobile industry.
Some dealerships will allow me to spend a night or two on their lot, connected to their electricity. So, my rig is occupying a spot they typically use to stage new rigs for delivery. They prefer to have those slots open so my wife and I immediately put things away which means testing the drawers and the doors inside and out. Then we run the fireplace, the TVs, ACs, microwave, all the appliances and we test the slides and hydraulic levelers. If you can think of something to be tested we will test. I get onto the roof and look around underneath. Our first RV Park is chosen near the dealer so we can come right back for repairs - PLAN for that. They will come out and fix any item we find immediately, to help us go down the road. Then in the first season of use some things come loose going down the road. If I cannot do the repair I make an appointment immediately upon finding a problem. So when we return home I take the RV to the dealership to my preset appointment. Still it takes time because they have to order parts from the factory; it seems the factory has a terrible time shipping parts on a reasonable schedule-another flaw in their system. Dealers won't make a "warranty repair" unless the factory sends them the part. Dealers fear they will not be reimbursed if they install a 'like part' that they have in stock. Bottom line, the factory does NOT do a final inspection on your trailer; the dealer cleans your trailer but does NOT test or inspect your trailer, if they do please say so here so we can all use that dealership. Sad situation across the board.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote