Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Mountaindog
Established Member

M.O.C. #31382
Electrical Setup questions

I’m setting my 2010 Montana hickory edition fifth wheel up for boondocking.
I have an Onan 5500 generator on board. I installed two Renogy 12 volt, 200 AH battery’s wired in parallel. I then installed a Bogart Engineering TriMetric meter with a 100 amp shunt. ( I’m thinking I should had used a 500 amp) I also installed a Progressive Dynamics PD9280 converter.
Now the questions that maybe someone can help out with.
My usage readings on the meter seem high. I’m showing -1.4 amps with nothing on except the propane detector. I disconnected that and it dropped to -.7 amps. What else could be drawing juice? With the furnace running I’m showing -90 amps. This seems awfully odd since the furnace is on a 15 amp fuse. What am I missing?
I’m considering adding a couple solar panels yet but not sure how much help they would be since the majority of my boondocking camping is in oct and nov.

Mountaindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
George,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your battery meter may be giving some erroneous indication with your furnace. Assuming you have a refrigerator and water heater both may have some parasitic draw.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would double check the wiring from the shunt to the Bogart Engineering TriMetric meter. A miswire would throw off the meter.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
Mountaindog
Established Member

M.O.C. #31382
Actually I think I figured it out with the help of Bogart Engineering. The default shunt is the 500 amp and is what the meter is set up for. I installed a 100 amp shunt. So I must get into the programming and change the value of P11 to the 100 amp shunt. (Or change out to the 500 amp) Otherwise the amp readings are off by 10 times. So my -90 amp reading is actually -9 amps. Sounds much better. I will know if this is the problem for sure tomorrow morning when I get back out to the camper
Old 07-27-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
Mountaindog
Established Member

M.O.C. #31382
Ok I was able to fix my problem. If Bogart Engineering would include the detailed installation instructions with the unit it would had saved a lot of worry. I had to go online to their site to get them.