Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Kincaid Lake State Park - Kentucky

Continuing the saga, we arrived at Kincaid Lake State Park, Kentucky on Thursday September 1 and will be leaving Sunday September 4 to return home in Indiana for an overnight and then back on the road again Monday.

Meanwhile, to continue the journey, Sutton, WV KOA and Narvina, here’s a report on Kincaid Lake State Park.

First, this state park is located South of Cincinnati, Ohio in the middle upper portion of Kentucky. It located in low mountains and forests. The state park has the following main attractions: Camping, canoe and kayaking (a really nice lake), hiking, swimming (concrete swimming pools), and golf. There is a really nice (and large golf course). They also have a recreation center with put-put golf and other outdoor sporting activities.

Here's a link to the State Park web site: Click here.

Again, I have found another campground to ramp and rave about. It’s DARK at night. No street lights, no artificial lights, no surrounding roads, buildings, businesses, or any industry. It’s all forest and deep hills or small mountains. And did I say, it’s DARK at night.

The campground has several different possibilities for any variety of camper, from 40 footers to tents. Sits are electric and water. There are 2 dump stations (not bad for a campground with only 84 campsites. But somehow, this park seems to have more than 84. Because it’s located on a ridge, there are several fingers that branch off the main road. Each finger is unique in itself.

We are on site 3, right at the entrance to the camp ground. Site 2 is reserved for the camp host, which they do not have any right now. The campground is clean, neat, well maintained. Being a former camp host myself now, I see things now a little different. Some of the fire pits had trash in them, like plastic bottles, cigarette butts, and aluminum. None of this stuff burns. And it is quite obvious no one has cleaned the fire pits in a while. (It’s still sad that people are pigs). But I did not see any trash on the ground.

When we arrived, we were the only camper on the strip at the entrance. It was so dark because of the trees, I could not tell where the road (asphalt) ran. We arrived Thursday and the entire campground was stone-cold-dark! Friday when the Labor Day week-enders showed up, I was pleasantly surprised at how respectful and quiet everyone was. Once folks retired for the night, almost all outside lights were out. No noise, no loud music, no wild drunken parties going on. I know, I walked the campground about midnight! (Ok, that’s the camp host coming out of me now).

We would come back to this state park in a heartbeat. For us, it was an excellent choice. We did our share of hiking in the “hallow” (opposed to the mountains at Pilot Mountain), which resulted exercising those old legs all new directions!

And by the way, they are needing a campground host. But their host stays on for an entire year. The host site is 50 amp electric and water on site. But no sewer. The dump station is literally, across the road. So an RV sewer tote is a must if you stay long term.

We met the park manager and he said they are re-thinking how they do the camp host, making his stay shorter. I talked to him about applying if the stay could be one month only. He told me to go for it for next year. So I think, any opportunity is open right now. So if there are any full timers out there, here’s an opportunity for a no-cost campsite for an entire year. They do want you to work about 30 hours a week (that was combined between wife and husband, or 30 hours solo). They are desperately short staffed, so anyone interested would probably have a pretty good bargaining chip right now.

Here's the photos. And did I mention … it’s really dark at night here!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Welcome to the neighborhood; you've been camping about 30 miles from my home. I've camped there before but has been several years now. That is really a beautiful park. I don't know if they have changed the rules nor not, in the past the only thing allowed on the lake had to be paddled, rowed, or sailed. No motor boats or jet skis.

Hope you enjoyed your stay and kept dry.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote