Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
Escaping safely through the high emergency windows

Just been thinking about how to get down safely from those front bedroom emergency windows in case of fire. It is a pretty good drop and I was wondering what some of you all use in the line of ladders, rope ladders or other options that are out there. We are not getting any younger and in a few short years just getting out of the window let alone dropping that far may leave a mark....Better than burning up tho for sure. I think we (my bride and I need to make a practice run so we are somewhat prepared should something go wrong. Thanks for the advice and info in advance!

troutbum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We bought the 3750 because of two doors. I am very sure, I would not make it to the ground from a high window, alive! We have walked through the process, and taught anyone spending the night, how to exit via a window! I rely on two fire extinguishers, and making sure batteries in smoke detectors are replaced at least yearly!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Now that is something the people at Keystone could design, an inflatable slide like airliners use for emergency escape. You open the window, and the slide inflates to allow you to slide to safety. Only trouble, besides never knowing if it works until needed, would be grandkids activating it to use for play.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have three extinguishers in the bedroom of the type we can spray on ourselves or on the fire. Bought an escape ladder from Loews, removed the window hooks, cut it down to size, made a rod to hold the ladder in the window and cut a piece of wood to hold the window open while we get out. Hopefully we'll never get to find out how well it works.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

Now that is something the people at Keystone could design, an inflatable slide like airliners use for emergency escape. You open the window, and the slide inflates to allow you to slide to safety. Only trouble, besides never knowing if it works until needed, would be grandkids activating it to use for play.
Exactly what i was thinking. Would make the Montana a hit at the lake.

I figure we'll just jump and hope for the best.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Speaking of escape windows. Have any of you noticed the back escape window is located right behind the ladder and you cant open it up so you can fit through it. To me if there is a fire I wont be opening windows I will be going through them but I thought I would make the point that if you would think or in this case not think that they would locate the ladder to the other side of the unit.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Besides adding extra fire extinguishers and installing a smoke detector in the basement storage area, there probably isn't much else I felt I could do. With two of us always sleeping in the fiver it would take a few minutes for both to launch out of the escape window, plus one or both would sustain serious injuries. My bet is on early warning and going out a door.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 AM   #8
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I am a retired firefighter and have been on several fires involving 5th wheels where individuals have exited through the upper escape window. All of them reported just enough time to run and jump. Trying to plan is great but the added time to locate, deploy a ladder system was not practical in a true emergency. The concern of injury from the fall is significantly lower than the almost guaranteed injury or death from smoke and heat during a fire.

No good answer to this question other than get out at all costs all other concerns are secondary. The best planning is prevention, I really like the idea of a smoke detector in basement for early notification. Using power and heating sources safely and keeping egress paths clear.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have rehearsed our bedroom escape plan by exiting the closest place the bedroom window. Yes there will be a bit of a fall with a possible sprain or something but when I have considered the rope ladder or rope dowel equivalent I can vision while panicked getting just tied up in the exit ladder and getting injured as well.

We have an extra fire extinguisher and may add a second to the bedroom for double protection from that location.

The real answer I have come up with so far is going outside and leaning my telescoping ladder up against the bedroom wall each night before going to bed. Of course what are the chances of it being there much after I do it and can your imagine the conversation that will cause in the campground, Ha, Ha.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Everyone definitely should have a plan. Even in our late 60's we are still agile enough, and small enough, to go out the bedroom window. And being 6'-4" I figure I can go out feet first, drop, then catch the DW when she comes out.
May have to rethink that as we age a little more.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
How about some of that explosive the Navy Seals use to 'Make a door' ? or.. I like Dmcgrew's post.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #12
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
It would be interesting to find out where fires started, how many started in the basement, kitchen, etc. That way a plan can be developed in order to handle those fires. Placement of extinguishers and perhaps an automatic system in the basement if that turns out to be the main area where fires begin. I believe that the basement, generator area and the kitchen are probably the most probable areas so there has to be an automatic system that can handle the generator and basement areas. As for the kitchen, it is more probable that any fire on the cook top will begin when cooking so an extinguisher at hand should handle that problem. Refrigerator and heater fires are next and hopefully there can be something that can handle them automatically while in dreamland.
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The only thing that I can add is that we have a canvas folding loveseat that we use on the patio and it is right below the window. Softer drop. John
Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I just take an extra picnic table from someone elses camp site and put it right below the window.....Just kidding . I did notice that the ladder is blocking the window from opening all the way up so my not so trim physique can fit ..You can also install an automatic fire extiguishing system in the basement or garage area like they have in engine compaartment of boats too...
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Another consideration, if you carry a firearm or ammunition in your fiver. If a fire starts and you are lucky enough to get out do not hang around and try to put it out unless it is very small and contained. Warn any neighbors and "get out of Dodge" before the ammo and propane starts going.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My back hurts just thinking about this subject. I would guess, and I suspect, our member fire fighter's might agree, fire is a potent motivator! While I tease about breaking my body, jumping out the windows, I might find I am as spry as a ballerina if properly motivated? Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you have a fire in one of these cracker boxes you have a very few minutes to get out. I'm not going to look for anything, a fire extinguisher a ladder. I'm going to get out if possible. I'm going to try to get my my wife out first. I just hope we are able to get another camper. Toys, and that is what my camper is don't matter.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #18
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

If you have a fire in one of these cracker boxes you have a very few minutes to get out. I'm not going to look for anything, a fire extinguisher a ladder. I'm going to get out if possible. I'm going to try to get my my wife out first. I just hope we are able to get another camper. Toys, and that is what my camper is don't matter.
Lynwood
I'm with you, friend. Lift wife onto dresser drawers and give her a shove, jump out headfirst and use her for cushion! =O)

j/k!

I try to park the truck next to the BR window if at all possible, that shortens the drop considerably.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #19
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
We have a basket next to bedroom escape window that we put truck keys,wallet,purse,check book and cell phones in that goes out first,and a spare change of clothes in truck,hope to never use them.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #20
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Park the truck next to the BR window if at all possible = great idea. In many cases of course the regulations may not allow for parking in this manner but when possible looks good.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote