Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #21
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
It appears that the Legacy Package has a few more features than the Montana's have had in the past.

FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #22
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Very hard to keep up with the changes, however they will not stop and some will be improvments and others will not. I like the rear cap on the Montana I purchased but I see alot of flat rear walls on sob's, however some do alot more modern decorating on the interior components. I suspect the Montana name will continue to change with the industry, Just hope they dont loose current customers
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #23
Bob Thomson

M.O.C. #15932
I ordered the 3790 RD with the legacy package it has the nice front cap but not the back one . I'm guessing with the 13'5" hight they needed for the amazing amount of storage under the rear living that they didn't want to make a cap that would only fit the one model . For me it is well worth the trade off but we all have different needs . The reason they are # 1 is because they do the best job of keeping on top of the needs of our ever changing world .
Bob Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #24
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
grayghost03, I'm sorry you were offended by my post but rest assured I was not calling nor referring to your rv as a "Lowly flat back Mountaineer" nor would I ever insult anyone else's property and thought I made that clear in my original post. I was merely stating MY opinion on the flat rear exterior wall of the new Montana line and was also stating FACTUAL based information on the new Montana suspension taken directly from the Keystone Montana web site. I'm truly glad that your unit is equipped with the heavier suspension as you state, however, in the website it too is listed as having the CRE 3000 suspension as standard equipment so maybe yours was upgraded when ordered from the factory. In my opinion, with the GVWR of the Montana's, the heavier suspension should be standard and NOT an optional item. There are some very nice new features that have been added to the interior of the new models and I won't deny Keystone praise for that, however I in MY opinion it's a bad move on their part by making the rear cap and heavier suspension upgrade options. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else by comments made in my original post and my opinion is just that and shouldn't be taken as anything more than that. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I am sure nobody is trying to insult anyone when talking about the Montana changes. One has to understand that many of us are accustomed to buying a Montana and only having to add on one or two creature comforts so to speak because most of the luxury and all the build quality features were standard.

Now we get the impression that Keystone is stripping down the Montana to a more base type and each individual has to add on luxury items and even some build quality items. It's the new norm I guess but I myself liked the old way when a Montana was a Montana. JMHO!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:40 AM   #26
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
Hard for some people to accept change. I just go with the flow and if I have to order which I did another Package to get the rear fiberglass cap I will. Some of the other manufactures went with the rear cap deletion several years ago as well.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM   #27
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I have a 331 Mountaineer with a non fiberglass back side. Really! what is the big deal about it especially if it sways you to a different model or SOB, I like the bumper it gives you hard points for accessories and the best place IMHO to put the hose and if I want a hitch installed the frame rails are easier to access. I do like the look of the cap on the back but I live on the inside not the outside and its just as impressive to pull or look at ether way or am I really missing something?
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Eagleback ... this is all about years old perception and pushing against change. By reading your by lines at the end of your posts … let me put all this in terms you can relate to. Say you went to buy a new Dodge and found you had to upgrade from a Ford before you got anything ….
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #29
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I understand where your coming from. I do not like change ether and it is the same as if you have been buying something for a long time and then you see they changed the label and it says new look same great taste and to find out they made the package smaller, it has a tendency to make you upset, like you have been cheated. but here its a little different. it is still the same, a same great thing but a new look and for some a better situation, like I said I like the bumper and now the Montana is a better choice for me because of it and now I own one which will open up a lot more options for more people. if you want the rear cap you can get it if you want. what needs to be looked at is 1. did the change make it better or worse for me better for you the same you can still get the rear cap but its an option 2. dose it cost more or less. Generally more because its an option, but to me it not needed and finally are you ok with the look, I am ok with it because I look at the function not the vision of it. but I see it as a good thing because not everybody wants or needs the rear cap but it is nice to know that you can get it if you want. and to me that makes the Montana even more of a unit that people should buy because of that option.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #30
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
All of this makes me wonder (kind of) who the target buyers are? I would guess that first-time purchasers far outnumber those who are repeat customers. It seems to me that Montana is targeting the first time buyers, while at the same time providing them and repeat customers with choices for upgrades. I think first time buyers are influenced by "eye candy" more than the repeat buyers. Granted, what may now be upgrades are not seen as upgrades to current owners, when they were standard options in the past, but at least they are offered as options. Even though we are in the group of "repeat" customers, I can see the reasoning in terms of market strategies that Montana is presenting to the buyer market and if it is successful, they have done the right thing from the sellers aspect. If not, then they will make changes as the market dictates. It will be interesting to see what the market bears. I think I will watch from the sidelines as we are more than happy with what we hope is our "final" fifth wheel that will carry us into retirement. It did take three tries, but we think we got it right this time!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #31
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
That would be the point I am trying to make here, I had a SOB that had a rear cap and for me it was more of a pain to have. it looked great but I missed that stupid piece of steel that I could put my hose in and I had to pay some one to install my hitch because the cap covered the frame rails. I find it more functional to go this route and if the Montana didn't have a model with a bumper I would have passed it up. for SOB. so I see it as a good thing.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #32
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
As stated before the cap is a must for me. My driveway is steep and the bumper is several inches lower and will not clear the driveway.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #33
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Not insulted at all, the lowly flat back was meant as a joke. The point was meant to be the suspension is different from rig to rig. Heck, I traded off a 2012, with the fiberglass cap for the lowly Mountaineer. :-)
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #34
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
IMHO, changing the standard Montana to a flat back, just diluted the "Montana" brand image and muddy what was once simple to understand. With the new "Good-Better-Best" strategy, it appears to me Montana is going after sister companies like the Cougar. I wished they had left the Montana image and brand strategy alone. I'm not convinced it was the right strategy for the brand. Time will tell. Makes me kind of wary of them.
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #35
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
As I walked around the RV show this year looking at the new models I'm guessing that most of people who design RV's at these companies probably never even spent one night in them. The design ideas seem to be comming out of the marketing department, who's sole purpose is to steal market shares away from the other manufactures by copying thier ideas and changing them a little. Then the bean counters step in and decide the cheapest way to build it.
After all they is the ones with all the fancey book learning and stuff not us. We are only the ones who buy their Rv's and just sit in the woods in them playing our banjo's. What would we know about what works best or what we want. One example of this was when I was standing on the outside of the 3711FL staring at the 6th slideout that they decided to add right underneath the awing. Now I don't know about anybody else but I must be weird because for some funny reason I like to set up my campsite underneath my awing. I mean isn't that the reason for the awning in first place so we can sit underneath it to shield us from the rain and the sun? Would anybody who actually uses an RV ever design one with a slideout underneath it taking up 3/4 of the space? I've seen several manufactures do this over the years. Then again that is the secret behind marketing. Never build an RV,Car, appliance or anything for that matter with all the features we want because then we would never upgrade. Always leave them wanting.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are just names. My 2013 Big Sky does not exist. The Montana Legacy is what we now have with a Big sky Package but is nothing like the present Big Sky.
the Mountaineer was previously labeled the "Montana Mountaineer" It is now the "Montana" What was once the "Montana" that we have all known for years is now the "Montana Legacy" The 2015 Montana Big Sky is a completely new Big Sky and My Big Sky does not exist. The new buyer will not know the difference. It is only us the present owners who are confused. We will get over it. In my case I really don't care .We have a Big Sky and those who do not understand the line will think we have a real Big Sky. We have a Old style Montana that does not exist with a paint job that no longer exist .So it goes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #37
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Does the big sky have painted graphics? or stick on.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

They are just names. My 2013 Big Sky does not exist. The Montana Legacy is what we now have with a Big sky Package but is nothing like the present Big Sky.
the Mountaineer was previously labeled the "Montana Mountaineer" It is now the "Montana" What was once the "Montana" that we have all known for years is now the "Montana Legacy" The 2015 Montana Big Sky is a completely new Big Sky and My Big Sky does not exist. The new buyer will not know the difference. It is only us the present owners who are confused. We will get over it. In my case I really don't care .We have a Big Sky and those who do not understand the line will think we have a real Big Sky. We have a Old style Montana that does not exist with a paint job that no longer exist .So it goes.
I think you have summarized this change about as good as it can be explained. I understand and have seen the changes that everyone has mentioned previously.
Still waiting on my new Montana Legacy 3611rl with the painted front and REAR Cap to arrive.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #39
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Can you repeat that please, Rich!??!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #40
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think Keystone has took their eye off the ball. The people who run a business haft to know what that business is and remain true to that. If you don't know who you are or don't remain true to that your customers will never figure it out. For over 15 years Montana was the finest camper you could buy for the money. Every body knew that. Now they plaster the name Montana on a lesser camper and Legacy on a real Montana. All the heritage they had just vanished in one foul sweep. Do you remember when Coke changed their formula. How about the Chevrolet Cadillac rebadged and called a Cimaron. How did that work out for both of them? Now Keystone has done the same thing. I can't help but wonder if Montana doesn't have a new CEO. Wonder how this will work out for Montana?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote