Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Am I nuts?

As you can see from my signature, we have a 2009 Montana 3400RL. Great shape except for graphics and I have made numerous improvements. We are thinking of downsizing to a Montana High Country 318. I am concerned about the following items and am looking for great opinions from High Country owners:
1. The slides function through a cable and chain system. Is it a robust, quality system, without too many problems.
2. The suspension system: does it come with wet bolts and brass bushings?
3. How has the overall quality been? My 3400RL has been fairly good because I repaired items before they broke.
4. Opinions on their 10" I-beam frame system. Any failures?
5. Can I assume it has the same bad tires as the Montana?
6. Any holding tank leaks or failures?

Thanks.

nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
We have a 2012 343RL, about 14,000 miles on it and 45 to 60 nights.
1. The slides function through a cable and chain system. Is it a robust, quality system, without too many problems.
No problems here, I have heard of some, but I have heard of a lot more on Hydraulic slides, I think your good to go with either system.
2. The suspension system: does it come with wet bolts and brass bushings?
Nope, you will have to install wet bolts and brass yourself.
3. How has the overall quality been? My 3400RL has been fairly good because I repaired items before they broke.
We have had very few issues and all minor........except I repainted the cap. Poor UV protection
4. Opinions on their 10" I-beam frame system. Any failures?
No issues here, and haven't seen any during our travels.
5. Can I assume it has the same bad tires as the Montana?
Yep, your assumption is good, replaced with LT here.
6. Any holding tank leaks or failures?
Nope, -0- tank issues.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I have a 2012 343rlHC and have had no problems with the electric slides(4) in the case of my trailer. The trailer has over 30K miles and numerous stops which means opening and closing the slides. Some folks don't like the electric slides and don't believe the will hold up. As for the suspension, the standard mor/ryde CRE 3000 suspension system does not include the wet bolts and brass bushings that you speak of. Overall quality is that of a 55K unit not that that of a 85K unit although the only thing I feel I gave up was the extra weight from the old Monty. The 10" frame, if you don't go off roading and over curbs it should not be a problem. Remember the HC's don't weigh as much as the big monty's. The HC trailers have ST tires standard and I would not leave the lot on them or any other st tire. As I said I have used this trailer for over 2yr's with no major problems. I have added a progressive hardwire EMS system, lt tires, Lippert installed leveling system, Mor/ryde pinbox and wet bolts and brass bushings. My unit has Two air units, 12cu ft Norcold fridge, fireplace, leather furniture, hard surface counter tops, full size queen mattress, 5500w onan gen set, and plenty of storage. Less weight does not necessarily mean fewer years of service. The less weight is easier on the tow vehicle( can be pulled by 3/4 ton )truck and translates to less wear and better fuel mileage. I am a satisfied HC owner.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I to am a satisfied HC owner. I'm not on one place very long so a lighter unit suits the way I use my camper. I wouldn't swap my HC for a Montana. They are just too heavy for me. As for the slides they are so simple there isn't much to break and if something would any handy man could fix it. I would get rid of the ST tires.
Lynwood
Oh I forgot to a answer your first question. I don't know you we'll enough to know whether you are nuts but you are not nuts to look at a HC.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
HC is just a lightweight edition of Monte. The heaviest is under 10,000. The frame is strong. Your current Monte has a 10 in frame. Yep, cheap tires! The cable slides have not been troublesome on any we've sold. Not aware of any tank leaks either. Overall quality is good . It's light, so, something had to go. 36 feet long. Fewer cabinets, and smaller. They are very popular, we sell them as fast as we get them. They are much less expensive.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Reason I titled the posting "Am I nuts" because my wife is suggesting a smaller trailer so we can get into more sites at state parks. Our 38 foot 3400 RL can be a challenging to find a site big enough at many parks. The problem is our trailer is stuffed with a lot of stuff. I have installed numerous items like a brass vacuum breaker for black tank rinse water, new 6-volt batteries, MOR/Ryde shackles/wet bolts and X-bracing, many electrical upgrades, etc. So I really do not want to go through all these upgrades for a new H.C. Really I am just looking for opinions on how our members like their new H.C.'s. Thanks for all your opinions.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree with what you are saying. I think Montana needs a 34 foot triple side camper. But who am I, just somebody that would like to have one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Other than the malady of a fading front cap and dangerous, exploding ST tires, our first year in our 2013 343RL High Country has been remarkably incident/defect free.

Our unit is currently getting its front cap repainted compliments of Keystone's warranty system, which took just some very minor arm-twisting.

The exploding ST tire did $2K worth of damage, but insurance paid the bulk of that. I now run LT tires, and would strongly recommend everyone else do the same. Don't take delivery of a new unit unless your dealer swaps out the ST-bombs with LT tires.

We went almost all around the country last summer and the late this summer we plan on doing the same thing again but this time clockwise and not missing New England and Florida (including Key West), probably a 12K mile trip.

I give the HC units a big thumbs up, it's perfect for us. But remember, your mileage may vary....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote