Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
Landing Gear Repair

I searched and couldn't find my exact problem and didn't put this under repairs since that has to do with dearlers and I plan on doing this myself. As I get older and more absent-minded things just seem to happen. I was in a hurry, which usually causes these problems. After hitching up I raised the landing gear and started out of our driveway which is about 400' and uphill. When I got to the top I realized that I had not walked around to the door side to pull the pin and finish raising the landing gear on that side. It was too late and the damage was done. I couldn't go back down the drive without doing more damage and there is a hill on the way out that I knew it would scrape again and do more damage, so I was stuck in the road. The tube was just barely bent, but, it was enough where it wouldn't go up. I tried a sledge hammer and could not get it straight enough to work. I walked down to the house and got my floor jack to force the leg up inside of the other. In hindsight I think I would have been better off taking a reciprocating saw and cutting it off where maybe I could have just replaced the inner tube that slides manually. Anyway, I tell all of this on myself to ask if the two inner tubes can be replaced or do I need to get the whole assembly for that side? This was our last trip in November so I just used some blocks under that side and our 5er has been parked at home since. Thanks for any advice in advance.

rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Detailed diagrams on the product website. I replaced mine as a set (l2010 unit) not hard. Unless you damaged the primaries beating on them with a sledge hammer
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I swapped out the stock system for a set of Bulldog jacks. Wasn't hard at all. Total cost was well under $600.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hTerms=bulldog