Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Damaged pex lines

Woke up this morning to find water on kitchen floor, area about 1 foot by 3 feet. Had been raining and blowing all night so thought I had slide leak or something but turns out it was coming from island. Found both hot and cold pex lines that go to the kitchen faucet had been scared. The cold side was leaking. Why it hadn't leaked prior to this I don't know. Picked up a couple of compression pex shut-off valves, cut out the bad sections, and installed to get water back on. Had to hunt around for a small section of 1/2" pex because I was too cheap to buy a 5' section. Buddy had a piece but before I could get back in business had to put stuff away for company arriving. Somebody at the factory must have nicked both lines with a knife or something. Also picked up three water alarms which Menards had on sale. Put on under each sink and one behind toilet.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you can't go wrong with shutoff valves and water alarms. It's just much more fun to do the work because you want to rather than have to.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Yep, you are right about it being better doing it when you want to, instead of when you have to. I had read the recent posts about you guys installing shut-off valves and that was on my written to-do list. I would rather it be a plumbing issue rather than a slide or roof leak any day though.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Had a similar issue with the hot/cold connections in ours. Used the Monty twice and had no issues, but the third time I went to grab a roll of paper towel form under the sink and found all 6 rolls were soaked. It seems the connections to the sink were not tight enough and the higher water pressure at this park must have been enough pressure to cause it to leak.

We were lucky to have the paper towels under their to soak up all that water.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
PEX has been known for years to be problematic unless installed correctly. It's really great when it is, but if joints aren't crimped right or tubing is scored (like yours) it can be a lot of grief. Shark bite and the like fittings are really great for DYI work because the tools to do the other way are really expensive (unless you're going into the plumbing business!).
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Hi Joe, Glad you found that problem early and was an easy fix. Heard of a person who had the same type of thing happen to them. They were traveling and forgot to turn off their water pump switch before leaving. When they stopped for lunch they found everything soaked because the water pump was running and emptied their entire fresh water tank into their livingroom.

Hope you guys got home safe and sound!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Finished the PEX repair today. Two of the valves had to be redone because I had not cut enough damaged portions out. All is good for now but there is a tiny nick in the chrome flex feeder hose and I suspect that will let go one of these days. I contacted Keystone Customer Service and will see what I can get done. Actually even though I have about $50.00 in parts to redo this I would settle for a new faucet set for when that flex hose goes. We will see.