Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
INSTALLING A BATTERY DISCONNECT

I'm thinking of installing a battery disconnect to disconnect the entire 5th wheel and to have no battery drain while it is in storage.
Is there any problem with doing this? Will the 6 point levelers lose
their program?? Has anyone done this?? Also I see that they say to
install the disconnect on the negative side of the battery?? Is this
correct?? Any help would be appreciated.

johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
We have one mounted just above the battery. Haven't had a problem with the level up. I would have to look at whether it is on the positive or negative, not sure which it is.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Added the old one that had been on our TT before trading it in, right after we got the Monty home. I've had to replace two batteries that got fried from converters boiling them over so am very careful about making certain they get fully charged (measured with $5 hygrometer) and then disconnect them while at home. Haven't had any problems with anything, but we don't have level up.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Just disconnecting the batteries will do the same thing and costs nothing.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It is just safer if you work on the negative side. Less chance of the hot side touching ground and causing sparks.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Hot side, following the instructions from a marine battery switch. I installed a Perko switch on the bulkhead above the battery. I bought a cable to go from the positive on the battery to the switch and used the original battery cable from there to the power point. Actually, I only had to remove the original cable from the battery side only and move it to the switch. This switch can handle two battery banks, so when I need a second bank, it will be as simple as another battery and cables.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have mine on the positive side. Don't know which is better but since there's ample room, that's where it went. Then I use a battery minder to keep it charged and conditioned while the rig sits in the driveway connected to a 20amp garage outlet.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I see the OP has a 2013. My 2014 has a battery disconnect switch in the utility compartment. It disconnects the power to the coach. Only the jacks have power when it is off.

Maybe something new for 2014.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

I see the OP has a 2013. My 2014 has a battery disconnect switch in the utility compartment. It disconnects the power to the coach. Only the jacks have power when it is off.

Maybe something new for 2014.

Jim
This has caused my curiosity to become aroused. In previous models with a remote, the remote board was energized even if the disconnect was off. Since we still have a remote with the Big Sky edition, I wonder if this is still the case, I would think so. In the past, I also thought that the onboard detectors were energized also even with the convenience center disconnect switch engaged. I unhooked the batteries when I got the rig parked, simply because I did not know! When I install the second battery next weekend with the isolation switch, I will be turning them off regardless.
Bingo
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
Does anyone know if the 6 point jacks will lose there programing if
you disconnect the batteries completely??
From what I understand the compartment disconnect will not disconnect
the 6 point levers and the batteries will drain after awhile. That's the reason I want to add a disconnect at the battery.
johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
If you install the disconnect on the positive side and open the circuit, the negative is still connected to ground and if you accidentally short the positive terminal of the battery to the frame, or other conductive item that is also grounded, you will be doing a little bit of undesired arc-welding.

If you install the disconnect on the negative side and open the circuit, as long as the converter is not powered by being plugged in to shore power or otherwise energized, you can short the positive terminal of the battery bank to ground as much as you want and nothing will happen because there is no circuit to be made. If the converter is powered up and you short the positive battery terminal, the converter will complete the circuit as it will attempt to charge the battery.

Pick your poison.

Myself, I would choose the negative side. But you must be aware of the powered up converter scenario. I guess the "almost idiot-proof" way would be to put one on each side of the battery bank and totally isolate them.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote