Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #41
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I've been using Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar for years (soon after they became available). Before that it was Michelins. The Goodyear tires get much better traction and hold the road much better than the Michelins. The short time I had Michelins, I had some flats. Never had a flat on the Goodyear Kevlars. Kevlar has They been used in bullet proof vests. They last around 45,000 miles for me and most of it was towing about 14,000 pounds. I wouldn't consider buying anything else. Best tires I've ever had.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #42
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I can't use COSTCO - the NY Capital Distict just doesn't have a store yet but one is expected, too late, next summer. The nearest COSTCO for me is over 100 miles East, West or South. My choices are Tire Rack which has gotten more expensive then the locals, Simple Tire who are ignoring my request for an installer or a local seller who might match Simple's prices. Negotiations are in progress.

Look at the customer reviews for Sailun Terramax on Simple Tire. Not very good
You asked about who makes the best tire and everyone has a different opinion. Like I said before just go to the tire store. Tell them what you are looking for in a tire and they should get you the correct tire for your truck. They want you to get the tire that will make you happy so you will come back and buy more tires from them. Costco doesn't carry as many tires as a tire store.
Americas tire is a good

Les Schawb is good.
Most tire manufactures also have stores but they only sell there brand of tire.

EVERY brand of tire may have a bad tire once in a while. It's just like cars not every one is perfect but they try.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #43
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
I've had good luck with Michelin and Continental tires on the tow vehicle. Sounds like you have issues with the installer. Why not try a place like COSTCO for full service buy then and get them balanced and mounted. For one price? Could also go to a local tire shop like Belle Tire or Discount Tire and get your tires with balancing included in one price
Old 10-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #44
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
We (company / farm) go through a pile of tires

On the trucks we tow with (diesels in 3/4 or 1 tons) we have been having good luck with Goodyear Silent Armors for the on-road trucks and Duratrac's (silly loud tho) for the ones that are off-road.

Anything smaller gets whatever the current BF AT KO's are if they get used off-road, else Michelin Pilots run flats on the sports stuff.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #45
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
You asked about who makes the best tire and everyone has a different opinion. Like I said before just go to the tire store. Tell them what you are looking for in a tire and they should get you the correct tire for your truck. They want you to get the tire that will make you happy so you will come back and buy more tires from them. Costco doesn't carry as many tires as a tire store.
Americas tire is a good

Les Schawb is good.
Most tire manufactures also have stores but they only sell there brand of tire.

EVERY brand of tire may have a bad tire once in a while. It's just like cars not every one is perfect but they try.

I did NOT ask who made the best tire. There is no correct answer or tire product line that fits everyone's needs.

My comments were:
1 -Michelin had gotten out of my price range
2 Others experience with Toyo
3. Falken and availability

4 Sailun Terramax and Simple Tire reviews
5 Nittos
6 Experiences I had with Continentals and Firestone
7 Asked about others experience with Kumho Crugen and General Grabbers.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 10-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #46
Travelin’ Gran
Established Member

M.O.C. #22014
New tires too

Hi
We got new tires for our GMC 2500 in September 2020.. We are not full timers but my DH uses the truck all the time, and we pulled our 2010 3150rl with water and living stuff over 1000 miles. We were recommended Lauffen tires- a division of Hankook. We noticed Michelin had really taken a jump. They make more off road type tires, but the ones we went with are for on road with some ice and snow capabilities as we are staying put in Canada this year. They drive so smooth! My DH really liked how they drove and liked saving several hundred $ too! I will let you know how they hold up!

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/laufenn-tire-reviews/
Old 10-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #47
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Put Toyo HD tires on our GMC DRW Duramax before our summer travels. 12000 miles of quiet uneventful miles later, no issues to report.

Our tire guy recommended them over the Michelins and puts a lot of them on a local contractor's PU trucks. He said it's the only tire he puts on his family vehicles too.
2017 Montana 3731FL
Old 10-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #48
rickrunn

M.O.C. #13584
I have had the best luck with the Firestone Transforce A/T, usually 40,000 miles. I tried the Michelin's a couple of times but only got about 45,000 miles so for the price I went back to the Firestone. I have never had an issue with them
Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #49
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I had Michelin M+S on my SRW Dodge and they were good until 6 years old, them started blowing belts. I put on Sailun Terramax AT 4s and like them around town as they are softer riding than the Michelins, but after 2500 miles towing the 5er, I was more than tired of constantly sawing the steering wheel when someone passed me on the Interstate. I put 2 Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires on the rear and that cured the "squirm" problem that made towing very tiring. They were $60/tire cheaper than Michelins. I was also considering Nitto Dura Grapplers, but they are a little more expensive. I can put the Sailuns back on when I am just going around town or want a tire that won't sink in sand as bad.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #50
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrunn View Post
I have had the best luck with the Firestone Transforce A/T, usually 40,000 miles. I tried the Michelin's a couple of times but only got about 45,000 miles so for the price I went back to the Firestone. I have never had an issue with them

I've gotten good mileage out of the Transforce A/Ts that come OE on my Rams but....they have a hard rubber compound. Good mileage but ride hard and, as I found out about to leave on a trip to FL, that hard compound doesn't like hitting a hole in the road - it cuts/gashes pretty easy. Found that out on a Sunday going over the truck about to leave on Monday. Found a new one about an hour away but.... The new truck has them as well and they are hard and noisy. I've got about 13k on it and they will be gone at 20k with Defenders in their place (unless I read something more positive about the Sailuns).

As far as the Defenders (an I can't defend their prices ) one thing that makes them better than most, IMO, is the full depth siping. All tires have siping on the tread but if you look closely it only goes in a bit. The Defenders are full depth which makes them 1) less harsh, 2) grippier, 3) better snow/ice performance and 4) less noise over the long term. Those are all just my opinion but after using most brands of tires in all kinds of situations it's hard to beat them. Of course YMMV and I'm sure it will.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My truck came with Transforce tires. Traction was not so good nor durability. The Michelins have better traction and durability is yet to be determined.

My local tire shop sells Coopers but the mechanic that deals with all the brands does not recommend Coopers.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #52
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I did NOT ask who made the best tire. There is no correct answer or tire product line that fits everyone's needs.

My comments were:
1 -Michelin had gotten out of my price range
2 Others experience with Toyo
3. Falken and availability

4 Sailun Terramax and Simple Tire reviews
5 Nittos
6 Experiences I had with Continentals and Firestone
7 Asked about others experience with Kumho Crugen and General Grabbers.
Carry on then
Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #53
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWiK View Post
I tried the Sailun Teramax on my Ram 3500 SRW... They lasted 18k miles. I tried them after only getting ~28k from a set of Michelin Defenders...

Both Tires felt fine as far as ride/handling, the Sailun we about 60% of the Defender price.

I bought the Sailun at Wal-Mart... won't do that again.

My last set of Sailuns for the fifth wheel were from Walmart ,great service ,and price .. They were actually cheaper ,and a newer DOT then from Simple tire ,that I sent back .

Your mileage out of tires should be telling you something, first 28K out of what a 60K tire ,and 18K out of a 40K tire . Pretty sure there is no tire that is going to give you good mileage with your style of driving.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #54
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatnRich View Post
I too am looking at replacing my tv tires. I have the 20” option and have been considering the Sailun Terramax AT’s as the OEM Michelins are very pricey. I will monitor this thread for suggestions.
I have a friend that run the Terramax on his 350 Superduty 275/70/18 , same size as on my Ram 3500. He has been happy with them. They will be my next tire on my truck. I am presently running the Toyo AT2's , probably will get around 40K out of them. I expect the same out of the Sailuns at about half the cost. We will see. I will for sure report my results when the time comes.

I feel with the towing I do with my fifth wheel ,40K is reasonable mileage on an All Terrain tire . 25-30 percent of my mileage is towing.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We run Michelin defenders on the truck price is not a consideration but safety is.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #56
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We run Michelin defenders on the truck price is not a consideration but safety is.
I can't disagree at all ,thats why I go Sailun over Goodyear on my fifth wheel . And I save about half the cost of Goodyear ,and that can go towards the Sailun on my truck
Old 10-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #57
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
The ratings you are looking for are not on 10 ply tires. They are still on passenger tires.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
Old 10-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #58
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
The Firestone would be a Transforce. Good tire. Sold a bunch of them. Toyo Open Country HT is what I run on my Ram 3500 Dually.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
Old 10-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #59
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
General HTS 60 tires will be installed tomorrow. Simple Tire could not provide an approved installer with a contract price so went with Tire Rack and a few bucks more/tire but less to install then the list Simple provided. Install price is $80 to mount, balance, dipose of the old and provide new valves.

Simple copied and pasted the Tire Rack list for me - not much help there since these installers wouldn't honor the Tire Rack contract pricing.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 10-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #60
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
FWIW, I installed sailuns on my 2016 f350 drw about 18 months ago & they still look like new after 15k miles. The truck rode much smoother, no winter issues & we go snowmobiling up north. a week after the tires I installed billstien shocks, didn't realize how bad the stock shocks were & they only had 35k on them. Next tire change I will change the shocks at the same time, it made a huge difference. I think one of the biggest improvements with the sailuns is how smooth & quiet they are at speed, we travel from Li to the catskills alot & at 80 mph on the thruway the tires really seem to shine.
Closed Thread