Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Two years ago we arrived about June 20th and there was snow in the campground in West Yellowstone. OKKKK, it was a shoe full, but, it was snow. LOL

The roads were open by then, the water falls, as pointed out were NICE and full. Drove over to Grand Tetons, the picnic areas in the higher elevations (8 to 9500 or so) were not even plowed!

There are photos and more on my blog, but, I did not blog it till November of that year. Here is the first day, and that snow thingy in the campground (photo) is in this post.

We did NOT stay at Grizzly. The park we stayed in was cramped quarters, but, was much cheaper. Yep, we are cheap! LOL I believe it was Rustic Wagon.

Have fun! It is a very special place, NO doubt about it!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
I am also about 90 minutes from West Yellowstone and spend a lot of time there. I prefer to stay at the KOA or Lions Head a couple miles outside of West. Another issue you might consider is Memorial weekend. It will be crowded and travel is slow. I would have to agree that most if not all big rig locations are booked in the park but you can stay in West Yellowstone and still get to most places in the park within an hour or two. Bring warm clothes and a good camera, it's a great experience!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I've stayed a few times at Lionshead RV Resort. It's about 7 miles west of town.. right behind the Super 8. Last time we were there the cafe burned down.. but, pics look like it's been replaced with a fancy cafe. It was a nice convenient place and the rates were quite good for being so close to Yellowstone. Camping is on grass. We'd go back. I remember some in town.. but they were cramped. Probably didn't see them all
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Wife and I have reservations June 1st - 5 at Colter Bay RV Park Grand Teton NP, then traveling up to West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park for another 5 day stay. Both sites we have 57 ft spots reserved to fit our 36 Ft 5ver. Having lived in Wyoming years ago I can attest that the weather can be pretty crappy in May and partly crappy in June. I going to gamble and make the early June trek as I want to be there before the mid June rush. My purpose for this trip in June is for the landscape photography opportunities.
F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
the only RV camp in YNP that your rig will fit in is at Fishing Bridge... Spots are tight, turns in the CG are tighter... It is a great place to visit, but pulling a 3400 thru the park wont be the ?FUN part of the trip..
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by F3fifty

Wife and I have reservations June 1st - 5 at Colter Bay RV Park Grand Teton NP, then traveling up to West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park for another 5 day stay. Both sites we have 57 ft spots reserved to fit our 36 Ft 5ver. Having lived in Wyoming years ago I can attest that the weather can be pretty crappy in May and partly crappy in June. I going to gamble and make the early June trek as I want to be there before the mid June rush. My purpose for this trip in June is for the landscape photography opportunities.
While you can encounter weather the good news is if you do get snow it is gone pretty quick most of the time. Now rain my last a few days and is one of the struggles of photographing the Tetons. But with 5 days at GTNP you should get a good days.

I will actually be in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons before you arrive. I actually leave for California the day before you arrive. I expect cold mornings but typically the afternoons are nice in the 50s/60s that time of year but a weather system can change all that in a real hurry. You should be good crowd wise. You are far enough behind Memorial Day that the holiday crowd should be gone by the time you arrive. I on the other hand will be in the middle of them while in Yellowstone.

Have a great trip.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
Chiplynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13144
I vote for Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Was there last year and access to the park is simple. The park is extremely roomy and it was very friendly.
Chiplynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #28
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
We've camped both outside in West Yellowstone, and inside the park. As others have stated, Grizzly RV park is very nice--actually one of the nicer RV resorts you'll find. But, its priced up around $50-$65/ night. I don't mind paying that for a nice place. Inside the park, you'll find less expensive sites, but most of them are non-electric, and the park has a silly rule (IMO) that generators have to be off at sunset (that can be as early as 8:30pm). The sites are beautiful however, and you're much closer to all the action in the park. There is an RV park with full hookups, and we stayed there too, however it is like being in a parking lot. You are literally right next to the other RV's. It may be worth it for one night or if you need to hook up. Also, if you're willing to drive a little, there's a really nice RV park in Ennis, MT. I believe its called Ennis RV Village. Great owners, and clean as a whistle. West Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in all the earth!
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Stayed in West Yellowstone at Grizzly. Park is very nice, convenient to town, Yellowstone, tours available from the park, etc.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #30
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
www.redrockrvpark.com will be there for the summer and if your going to be there over any holidays you better get reservations soon.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #31
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We were in West Yellowstone and toured Ystone NP about 2 weeks ago--all on snowcats. I will send a photo of Grizzly RV Park that I took while in West Yellowstone--it is a great place to stay. We have stayed in Fishing Bridge, West Yellowstone-Grizzly RV Park,and Colter Bay. I would choose West Yellowstone--Grizzly RV Park and then relocate to Colter Bay to see Grand Teton. Have a great trip!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree with what Gkerlin said. We stayed at Grisley park in West Yellewstone last year. It is a beautiful park and I hated every minute. It's like the city and I'm a country boy. One thing for sure bring warm cloths. You are going to need them. I've seen 30 feet of snow just out of Yellowstone on July 4, 2 years ago. This year they have 120% of normal snow.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Here's a little tip if you go to Yellowstone. (We've been 3 times, and didn't learn this until our 3rd visit). There's so much to see in Yellowstone, and it is enormous. If you enter from West Yellowstone, the typical thing is to turn right, and head toward Old Faithful. You can easily spend half a day just on that loop. By noon, usually the place gets crowded, and the travel is slow, and if you're looking for wildlife--you won't see a lot during the day (unless you get lucky). Here's the tip. Once you've seen all the big attraction sites, plan an early morning drive, or a dusk drive around one of the smaller loops. The early morning is better for less traffic. And by early, I mean arrive at the gate about 30-45 minutes before sunrise. It will take you that long to get back I to the park. The last time we went to Yellowstone, since we had already seen all the big attractions in past visits, all we did was do early morning and dusk drives, and we saw LOTS and LOTS of wildlife. Even had a buffalo walk up the road at our car, and wouldn't budge. Made for some nice pictures as he walked directly beside our car. . Hope you enjoy your trip.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote