Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
F-250 Diesel Suddenly Won't Start

Our tow vehicle, 2006 F-250 (60K miles) won't start this morning. Cranks over fine, fires up for a second or two then quits. Any suggestions what to look for or where to start?

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My first thought would be a fuel filter.
But to get some great help try
thedieselstop.com or
Ford Truck Enthusiast
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Could be a number of things; fuel filter, etc.

Ford has a common problem with a high pressure oil pump internally that fails, and when it does insufficient fuel pressure is supplied for it to run. It's a tow in fix.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My 2005 F-350 did the same thing one morning when I was on a trip. Fortunately I was parked in my brother's driveway. Engine would turn over all day long. engine would fire, run for a few seconds and then shut down.

I had it towed to a garage and they had to replace the computer fuel injector module - NOT cheap. It was not covered by my extended warranty. Also, they had to re-flash the computer because when they take the fuel injector module out it looses memory. Re-flashing was $250. All-in-all it was around $1800 (ouch), but that included two towing trips. Although the garage had the knowledge to re-flash, they had to tow it to a Ford dealership because Ford will not give the chip program to anyone.

Good luck, and I hope it is something a lot more simple then almost $2k.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks one and all. I will start with the fuel filter and hope it is not the 2K fix. Guess first thing is to get it started so I can take it to the shop and avoid towing fees......

Guy in the office also suggested cleaning the battery terminals just in case the battery was not putting out the required voltage to kick start the injectors.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernsco

Our tow vehicle, 2006 F-250 (60K miles) won't start this morning. Cranks over fine, fires up for a second or two then quits. Any suggestions what to look for or where to start?
If diesel, the engine still should be under warranty, if it turns out to be an engine problem. As someone else mentioned, I would check the fuel filter first.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My F-250, although much older went through the same problem. Turned out to be a bad Cam Positioning Sensor.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
like orv said check the cam sensor. worked for international for lots of years ,retire in 06 but have replaced a few cam sensors in 06 international that had the 6 liter. jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Here are several things to check without to much pain. Look at the fuel filter housing on top of the engine, there should be a small yellow lever on the front left side. Put a pan under the truck, so you don't make yourself a mess, and open that valve to drain any water out of the filter housing. Close the valve after it drains, turn the ignition on and wait until you hear the fuel pump stop running (you may have to allow it to cycle a couple times), then try to start up. If that fails, check the high pressure oil pump. It should be under the plastic cover on the top front of the engine. There should be a small plug in the top, remove it and check the oil level. It should be no more than 1" below the top of the tank, so if needed, fill it to the proper level. Lastly, check the Cam position sensor as was suggested before. It is located on bottom front passenger side of the engine by the harmonic balancer. About all you can do with it is check the connections or replace it. There is a recall on those, but I don't remember the years inclussive. If you need to replace it, I believe the new ones are about $28, and you will need a 10mm socket, ratchet and an extention. Takes about 10 minutes to replace.
Hope you find the problem and related fix cheaply and Good Luck.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks to all for your help. I gave up and had it taken to the local Ford dealership this morning. Bottom line: faulty Fuel Injection Control Module. Hopefully that takes care of the problem and it does not re-occur two weeks from now!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Razza, Frazza, bleepy, bloopity, argh, argh new fangled, high tech bull crap. What's funny is you are all correct on the possibilities (even I know some of them), LOL. What ever happened to battery cables, a fuel filter, or carburetor cleaner and a clothes pin to get your vehicle started? Or even a cold rag around the fuel pump, but that was a little before my time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We had same problem while camping in New Hampshire when truck was only months old. Had it taken to a shop up in Vermont. Worked fine rest of the trip. But it happened again when we got home a week later. Took it back to dealer. Being the woman of the house and not paying attention to how these things work, I sure don't remember what the issue was. However, I do remember hubby talking about it being the "brain????" whatever that is. No problems since.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Forgot to add - everything was covered under the warranty,did not cost us a penny. But we did have issues with Ford Roadside service. They sent a tow truck and they made arrangments to which shop to take it. When we got to the shop they had idea we were coming and their diesel mechanic was on vacation and would not be back for 4 days. Ford Roadside refused to pay for towing to another shop. Fortunately we had AAA. Tow operator said this is typical with Ford Roadside service. He also said he has seen lots of same issues with 2006 Ford 6.0 engines.

Phyllis
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Oops - meant to say shop had NO idea we were coming.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #15
jcaengr

M.O.C. #9279
Sounds very similar to a problem I had wit a 2005 model. The problem was the high pressure oil pump which need to operate to allow the injectos to operate. Should be a warranty situation as the diesel is 1000,000 miles. FInd a dealer that has experience with this problem, and check the web site perviously mentioned. We were on the road around Birmingham, Al. and we found a great dealer in Hoover, Al. that was on the ball. Runs great since the repair.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernsco

jcaengr is offline   Reply With Quote