Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Flying season?

I just can't believe that I am the only RC flyer in the MOC. I really shouldn't call myself a flyer yet. I am still running my little Estes Sky Ranger into the ground but I don't have to walk as far as I used to for retrieval. I purchased an EasyFly2 simulator from Ikarus and it is helping a bunch.

Hope to hear from other flyers with what and where they are flying.

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I saw a really neat motor glider the other day. Are they expensive? I am a inactive pilot, but am still interested in avaiation. I have a Harley, and wife says I have too many hobbies now..When we started full timing, I ran out of interest in my homebuilt plane, so bought the Harley to drag along on our winter trip from Wisconsin. It's always windy in the Rio Grande Vally of Texas, so planes are probably just a dream. Talk to ya later...Rog
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
There is a flying range at the lake where I spend most of my summer. What is the price of a starter toy? If I didn't have to dump several hundred in right off the bat I might give it a try. I can't say I don't care for it if I don't try it first.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right my father...god bless him has returned to his love see my signature pic left side. Yup, from small aircraft repair, aircraft inspector, big delay....raise family, Diesel Fleet mechanic, tire store - auto repair shop, to now glider pilot with certification to take passengers. Lets see, I'm 50...he's 70 and having fun, darn it. Go figure
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
A note to all above: Phil, Rog, The best low cost way into the sport is the small, electric "park flyers". So named because they can be flown in small areas(some inside,some outside in calm weather) and are quiet. (Mine is the Estes Sky Ranger-$20 @Wally World) Also they are very light weight so if they encounter a person, place or thing, neither they or the object sustain damage. Most "toy" planes are 2-channel, 27 mhz things that recharge from the controller. I would suggest finding one that the controller mimicks the "real" RC transmitters,ie, two sticks. One that controls up/down, and one that controls left/right. These actions are generally done by controling one or both motors rather than moveable control surfaces. By using this type of controler, you can progress more smoothly to the more expensive transmitters and planes. I would also suggest investing in a flight simulator program for RC planes. I am using the Ikarus "Easyly2" which is a lower cost version of one of the premier programs. Comes with either a "game controller" or an actual transmitter that can later be used for model flying. This option wasn't available when I bought mine.
Noneck, I'm 61, does that mean that in 9 yrs I too can be a real pilot. You should be very proud and happy for your Dad. Dreams never really die until someone kills them.

Happy flying to all, no matter what scale! Bob
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
sailmfast

M.O.C. #8135
Just joined MOC so your not alone in the rc world. I fly 60 sized planks and started with a micro-heli about 6 months ago. Little did I know how expensive that little thing would turn out to be.

Happy flying
Mark
sailmfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Happy to have you aboard. I am not progressing very fast. The weather and the size of my planes keeps me grounded alot. In RC flying we always walk away from the landings. Sometimes we need a 30 gallon hangar for the plane though. Happy landings. Bob
Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bob, I am a "X" Commercial-Multi engine driver and have flown helicopters, twins and even a Stearman, but an RC scares me to death. I did some control line stuff when I was in the service. Now I just fly my Microsoft Flight Sims and the Microsoft Combat Flight Sims. It is a lot easier to repair the Flight Sims after I crash them up trying to land a 737 on a small private air strip.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't fly RC, but I have flown in a Lear 125 Flight simulator as pilot. Took it off and landed it. Long story for here. But I wanted to say - and I think you will get a kick out of it.

In the early to mid eighties, several of us HAM radio operators would get on a frequency and fly the Microsoft Flight Simulator, Cesna 172. If someone came on late we just gave them the coordinates and they would then "join or formation." Of course we could not see each other, but we could see the terrain and other features of that era of flight simulation. Sometimes, the newbie would crash. As a prelude to the crash he or she would give a narrative as to what was happening. Then crash.

On one occasion, one of the then "I'm monitoring radio frequency buffs," was listening in on a "crash." The called 911 and reported it.

Needless to say, that from that time on, all of our HAM radio flight communications was preceded and ended with the words, "THIS IS A SIMULATION," on order of the FAA and FCC for all of our formtion flying or whenever we were talking about flight simulator activity.

Thought you would get a chuckle out of that true story.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
That is funny as the Flight Sims can be pretty realistic. I don't think I would have liked to be on the receiving end of that conversation from the FAA or FCC.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I wasn't on the conversation, but the Extra Class HAM was.
It was funny after the fact.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote