Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Slide out seals

I just noticed today as I was dumping my galley/grey tanks that the round rubber seals on the underside of my bedroom slide have been filled with grass and weeds. Upon further inspection I found that the bees have started making a nest inside that little seal. I am talking about the round seal that when standing at the front of the coach looking to the rear is directly on the bottom portion of that slide. This seal is big enough that you can get your finger in it and is compressed against the outside wall of the coach when the slide is retracted. I found a small long wooden stick at the hardware store, cost me $1.88 and is long enough to go all the way through the seal. I pushed out dirt, grass, weeds, seeds from neighbors bird feeders. There were a few bees that were not happy with me, but they can go and make their winter homes else where. I thought I would pass this along for folks to check before winter storage is done.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, you were smart enough to do the poking from inside, keeping the bees outside! I would probably have been doing it from the outside and running for cover after every poke.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I do not think smarts had anything to do with it. More along the lines of just lucky...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We get wasps doing the same in the awning groove where the pull strap goes - and when I clean it out, it STINKS !!! They'll do the same thing if the rubber seals around the windows shrink a little leaving a gap at the bottom.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Yep! I find spider webs and all sorts of interesting things in those places. I found a product at Lowe's and other garden supply stores that works as a deterrent. It is by Bayer and is called "Advanced Home" Home pest control. In a blue spray bottle. I spray it sparingly in the general area of the problem and it dries almost immediately, but keeps protecting for months. I use it around my stick house for ants, flys, bees, crickets etc and it works. We have a small dog and several cats so I keep them away from the fresh spray for a couple hours but after that it does not seem to bother the pets. One bottle lasts me a year or two.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Don. I'll get some of that. I've had mud daubers nest in the water connection box when we were in one location for a month. Not fun getting disconnected.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote