Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Lubicating Slides

Do any of you lubricate your own slides. What is the correct way and what product should I use.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I use silicone spray on my Mountaineer with two slides. I go under and get everything that looks like it moves. I also spray all the rubber seals.You should be careful on the seal under the trailer that will come in contact with the carpet, when you put your slide in always a chance of a little carpet stain. I spray this rubber seal then wipe it down to get the extra silicone off.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use Dri-Slide Spray Lube (name is close to that anyhow) from Camping World. I've seen it once or twice in a Walmart. It's great stuff and doesn't accumulate dirt and it lasts for a long time on the slides. I lube those square tubes with the teeth on the bottom. I also shoot this lube into the gears those teeth go into. I do NOT lube the round chrome tube with any kind of grease as I read somewhere that's a no-no. Silicone might be ok on that. I'm not sure.

I also use this lube to keep my slider hitch sliding freely. Amazing stuff.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
BandJ
I also use the dri-lube for the slides. All the RV dealers sell the product or Camping world etc. When I was at Keystone a few weeks ago I asked this very question and was told the dri-lube is best, they said any of the other will collect sand and dirt.
I was also told before I lube the bars that slide in and out to wipe the dirt and grime off first before applying the new lube.
Don't forget to wipe the seals around the slides down with armour all or something of the sort. If you have an awning on the top of the slides you can reach that seal from inside standing on a little step ladder.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another question I don't have to ask. I love this forum.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Funny but just a couple days ago I was just wondering what to use on the slides but forgot to answer the question. Guess what I'll be looking for at WallyWorld or CW next trip.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I meant to add that when the slides get a little "jumpy" or "jerky" when retracting/extending, I know it's time to lube the slides. I try to do it more frequently but sometimes it sneaks up on me.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
I try to lube my slides every 2 or 3 days when on the road. My Amp. meter is just above my in/out switch . when lubed, it takes about 30 amps. to retrieve the big slider,when not lubed regularly, it can take over 50!! this will trip your breaker (by your hydrolics) so its agood plan to keep bothe sliders lubed.----- Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by accuprep

BandJ
If you have an awning on the top of the slides you can reach that seal from inside standing on a little step ladder.

Bill
Accuprep, I could use a little help on this one, if you don't mind. I'm always looking for a better way to do things. Are you using this ladder inside the coach and somehow reaching the seals that way? Can you get the top outside seal that way?

I've been using a rag tied around a broom, then spraying the rag with the foamy lube and using that to reach the seals on top of the slide, under the toppers.

Your way sounds like it might be better.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Steve,
Sorry I didn't get right on this I was out of town yesterday.
Yes I have a four foot step ladder and get up on it from the inside and am able to treat the top seals. If you can't reach the seal when the slide is in, run the slide out far enough till you can reach it.
Rita does the bedroom slide, she stands on the bed and get's to it. I also have awnings on my slides and am able to clean the top of the slides from inside. You will be supprised how nice the slides go in and out if you keep a coat of wax on the top and sides also.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
If you get a chance could you check and see what the contents of the Dri-Slide Lube is? I'm curious to know if it is any different that the Silicone Spray I have been using to keep my slide mechanism lubricated.

Thanks,
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, thanks. Great information!

Lamar, I'm looking at the can right now. It's a ProtectAll product. The name is "Heavy Duty Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant" and "Industrial Grade Rust Inhibitor." It mentions water displacement, etc.

I don't see an actual ingredients list but it does say "Contains: Petroleum Naptha, Propane, and isobutane Propellant."

I checked the website ( www.protectall.com ) and don't see any more info about it there, either. If you go to the site, click on RV's on the right side,then scroll down to click on 'slide-out dry lube protectant' on the right side, last item listed.

I know this stuff works great at keeping our slider hitch working smoothly, too. This stuff is not cheap. It's around ten bucks per can but worth every penny to me.