Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
LP tanks

We have a 2005 3685FL and we had a generator installed and now I found out that the generator will not start off the left bottle. If you turn on the right bottle and wait for about 2-3 minutes and then turn the regulator over to the left bottle then the generator and the heater and the hot water heater will all work but they won't work off the left bottle to start with. I have sent an e-mail to keystone and I'm waiting for an answer. So far I've been told that the only way to cure the problem is put both bottles on the same side and I haven't been told just how you do that. I'll post any news that I receive but I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem or am I the only lucky one.

Puzzie Pigpen
2004 3500 duramax dually
2005 3685jFL

Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
I'd swap bottles as the first step in locating the problem.
See if the problem follows the bottle to the right side.
wingnut.
Montana_2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What you are saying about, "both bottles on the same side" and "swapping bottles," is not logical to me. I may be wrong, but in my mind, the issue would have to be in the valving, not the position of the bottles. I would explore the problem with a view to solving a valving problem. Hope you get it solved soon....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
Since the valve is part of the bottle, the quickest way to eliminate a valve as a problem is to swap the bottles and see if the problem follows the valve (bottle). If it does not, then check the hoses for partial blockage or kinking. If not the hoses, check (replace ?) the regulator next.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When I alluded to the valve as a probable issue, I was not referring to the shut-off valves on top of the tank, rather the flow controller into which both tanks feed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
rick and linny
Established Member

M.O.C. #352
Gas valve is auto to other tank when first tank runs out,
Wont let gas flow if first tank has gas in it, I think.
rick and linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
Ok here is what I have already done. I put the left bottle in place of the right one and everything works ok. So I changed the regulator and the problem remained so I changed the hose that runs from the pipe to the left bottle and the problem remained. Right now the coach is in the shop and I'm replacing both the bottles with bottles that have gauges so I can tell closer just what is going on with the LP. I appreciate your help and if you have anything else please let me know.

Puzzie Pigpen
3500 Duramax
3685FL Montana
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 AM   #8
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
puzzie,
Sure is a puzzler. Can't wait to find out what the real answer is. A couple of questions:
(1) Do you leave the valves open on both bottles all the time?
(2)When the regulator is set on the left bottle, the generator won't start but will the stove and water heater work?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
Wingnut I leave both of the bottles on all the time. On the inital start up if I have the left bottle selected the generator,heater or the hot water heater will not work. If I select the right bottle and let it set for a couple of minutes then the generator will start and then I can select the left bottle and everything seems to work ok. As far as I know everything is operateing off of the left bottle. I will know more in the near future I hope. So far Montana has not answered my question.

Puzzie Pigpen
3500 Duramax Dually
3685FL Montana
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This sounds more like an issue of where the generator is tapped into. My tap for a propane BBQ grill is off the right tank. When it's empty the grill won't work off the left tank. That's because the left tank flows through the regulator and out the output line but my tap for the grill is between the right tank and the regulator. No way will gas from the left tank flow into the right tank or even into its line from the regulator, because of the one-way valving in the regulator. Could this be what's happening with your generator??
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I do not know if this helps or is even relevant but will try. First I need to clarify right and left tank. My regulator/switching lever is on the curb/passenger side of the trailer. The road/driver side has a long 8 foot plus run. I heard that when you open the screw valve on the road side tank, one farthest from the regulator switch, you have to open if very slow. the new tanks have an anti leak valve in them. If they detect too much propane flowing out at one time they shut off. If your bottle that will not run or start your stuff is that one that may be the problem.
Suggest you put your switch to the bad or not working tank and then open the screw valve very slowly until the system is charged and then try it. Hope this helps and most definitely will be waiting for a reply.
Good luck and tow safely.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
John, that's an interesting point about the speed at which you open the new tank valves. Never heard that before. I just spin them open and have never had a problem so far. Knock on wood.
Steve, since nothing works on gas if the regulator is set on the left side (at first), that pretty much eliminates the point of connection problem for the generator.
Puzzie,I was betting on a bad regulator, but you said you changed that out with no improvement. Sure will be glad to find out the final solution.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #13
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
ok folks strigle and john the generator is tapped off the line between the regulator and the heater and the hot water heater so either bottle will feed that line. Strigle the bbq is "t" off the right bottle right at the shut off valve and your right the left bottle will not feed the bbq if the right bottle is empty as it will not feed back through the regulator. John you have the right position of the bottles and I have been told about turning the left one on real slow because of that problem with the new bottles. I tried that and the LP person that filled my bottles said if that happens take the bottle out and turn it upside down and let it tap the ground a couple and it will unstick that valve inside the tank and I tried that also. I'm going to try turning the left bottle real slow and give it a little more time and see if that is the real problem. Gentlemen I really appreciate your input and I'll tell you that I have tried just about everything. Strigle the RV dealer where we bought the coach put the generator in and this is the first time they have run into this problem. Thanks again

Puzzie Pigpen
3500 Duramax Dually
3685FL Montana
Old 04-09-2005, 04:46 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Puzzie, I'm at a loss. I'm sorry I can't help you with this. Maybe someone else will come up with an answer. In any case, when this is resolved, please post back the solution. It might help others down the road. Good luck with this. I hope it gets fixed soon for you.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #15
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
wingnut and scriegle I finally got my Montana fixed. The propane problem with the generator is cured and the problem was not the LP system and it wasn't the generator but the problem was the LP line on the back of the generator that runs from the black line to the generator was pinched and it was limiting the amount of LP to the generator. I finally took it to an ONAN shop and it took him about an hour to find it. He rerouted the line and everything works just fine.
Puzzie Pigpen
3685FL Montana
3500 Dually Duramax
Old 05-10-2005, 04:58 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you Puzzie for posting that you got it fixed. It's always good to know a resolution has been found.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 AM   #17
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We had an LP problem with our last TT. We got to the campground and first thing noticed that the refrig was not cold (we had it running on gas) and then noticed that the hot water heater would not start (on gas) and the stove was acting funky. I did all the trouble shooting mentioned in this thread and then some. It was late so we went to bed determined to fix the problem in the morning. In the morning, while sitting on a picnic table, I was looking at our TT and noticed that under the trailer looked like when you look out across a desert on a very hot day. I investigated and smelt LP gas but only once I got under the trailer. What had happened was an elbow on the black pipe gas line had corroded through and was leaking gas. I replaced the fitting and had to have the pipe thread re-cut all of which fixed the problem. However, this happened to us 3 more times (once each on remaining elbows and fittings). So now anytime I have even a hint of an LP gas problems the first thing I do is get under the Trailer and check the fittings. So far on the 327RKS we have had no problems.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:25 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Puzzie, thanks for letting us know. I'm glad to hear it's finally fixed and wasn't something expensive to fix.

Jeff H., Merritt Island is near the ocean, if I recall. Do you think salt air had anything to do with the corrosion? I've not heard of others having this problem so am wondering if it's accelerated corrosion because of the salt air or if this is to be expected by all of us.

Thanks.