Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
URGH!!

Well it has finally happend to me after 4.5 years of camping! While I was out of town attending a family reunion in Stewartville, MN over the 4th of July weekend, someone decided they needed my 3 iron hooks that I stick into the ground more than I do. They took those and some of my wind chimes, a bird feeder, and a small welcome flag with my MOC FLAG below. While they are not expensive, it floors me to think that someone would have the nerve to come into my seasonal campsite and steal these items from me. This is the 1st time I have ever had a theft problem in a campground, I thought that rv'ers were better than that?? I guess it could have been worse(like breaking into the coach or boat) but it still erks me. Even though 99.8% of the rv'ers that I have met are wonderful people, there are still a few out there that have to ruin it for someone else.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Read in the paper just yesterday that campground thefts is becoming more common and getting worse. They had a whole list of things being stolen - fishing poles, chairs, grills, bicycles and on and on. They recommended locking everything up or having out of sight.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Welcome to the club of being a victim...So sorry it happened and you are right it could have been worse, like having your trailer with a bullet hole in the side of it. But consider yourself warned by those that are the culprits, they don't care who or what they take. It is like a trophy to them. Large or small. It could have been your whole trailer. Isn't it a shame that people are like that? Makes you wonder what else they took from your neighbors. Did anyone around you see anyone that didn't belong? It could have been someone in the campground also. That has been known to happen. One time we were at Lake Delores in Ca. and we had our rafts hanging from the trailer outside. It was about 5 am and I heard someone whispering outside. I looked out the window and there were 2 boys talking about how one would grab one raft and the other would grab the other 2 and they would run. About that time I said, "Don't you dare touch our property!" Scared the pants off of them and I thought they were going to drop dead right there. They took off running and I never saw them again. I am sure they were staying in the camp and couldn't afford their own rafts. More then likely from the sounds of it by what your thiefs took, it probably was kids also. I don't see that any adult would risk being caught stealing those things.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
indy,
Guess I will have to buy some type of tool shed to bring down there, this way I can lock everything up. Hate to go through all that, but I hate to go shopping to replace everything even more.

Kathi,
I am sure you are correct, more than likely it was kids. As much as I would like to blame them, it is my own fault. I left the stuff out while being gone for a week. I was just taken back by the whole thing. Just read about your bullet problem, so sorry to hear that you have to deal with that. Whatever happened to life being simple? I was joking last night with some friends in the campground that I wish someone would have stole the whole darn coach, could have got myself a new 07 model. =) J/K... I hope the "hole" in your coach is fixed soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote