Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Slideout problem

Help! I just went to put my slideouts in, and I have a big problem. Two of the three slides went in, but very slowly. The third slideout did not go in at all.

While the first 2 were going in, the propane detector started beeping, but they continued to slowly close. The lights flickered on and off for a short time.

The slides have been in the open position for about a month. I have not had any problems before.

I am going to Mexico for my daughter's wedding tomorrow for a week, and I wanted to close up Monty until I got back. I probably won't be able to read any replies to this topic until Oct. 18, but I hope someone can come up with a solution for me.

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alanzuck, any chance the battery is weak? You might try hooking up the electric cord to your truck with truck engine running and see if it's any better. I'm not sure how that works but I think the slides would pull juice from the truck battery (but only if the engine is running). Just a shot in the dark about it maybe being the battery.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:12 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I think Steve has it. I bet those slides will work just fine once the battery is charged.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
When our slides were slow moving it was the battery that was the culprit. In our case someone had wired something wrong in the convertor and the batteries weren't being charged when the Monty was plugged in. Got that problem fixed and the slides have moved faster ever since, and the batteries are always charged.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Theadamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #1793
Alanzuck,

Our 3295 was in storage for about a month and when I moved it from storage to the campsite, I ran into a similiar problem. When I got it to the site, neither the hydraulic lifts or the slide outs would budge, and the CO monitor was beeping. All this with the 5er still hooked up to the truck with the engine running. After some speculation, I decided to hook up to the park electrical supply. When I did this, everything worked fine. When I departed, the battery was charged and everything worked fine (on battery power).
Theadamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Don't forget to check the hydraulic fluid level also. My first thought is like Steve's that you may have a very low battery and need help by hooking up to the truck battery.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:09 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Another note on our battery/convertor problems - when the pickup was originally wired for towing, a charge wire was never hooked up in the plug - we always pulled stock trailers so didn't notice any problem. After the slow slide and convertor problems, the plug was checked and a charge wire activated, so now the pickup will charge the batteries also.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Everytime the batteries get weak my propane detector does start beeping. I am pretty sure that is by design of the detector to let you know you are loosing your protective alarm.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote