Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Front jack legs blowing fuses

I know this is another repeat, but hear goes. As we prepared to come home from a local State Park Tuesday (kicking off the camping season) the front jack legs blew 7 fuses. The rig was not too low and the gears had lubrication. I must admit at this time due to rain I have not checked for loose wiring. If loose wiring turns out not to be a problem whats next. I have read where some have increased their fuse to 40 AMPS but I have not found any 40 AMP ATM Blade fuses. Can increasing the AMPs cause problems? Lastly, can a battery cause fuses to blow? I have had the battery in the rig for 3 years and plan to have it checked to ensure it is holding the charge and if it checks out to be not up to par I will replace it.

George

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
George, yes increasing amps can cause fuse blows, also if the battery voltage is low you will draw more amps. John had problems with a weak battery last week also. Get a new battery in there and try that. When I got the two 6 volt golf cart batteries I gave my two year old battery to John and it tested bad also. Not sure what brand it was but it came with the rig... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have also read about people upping their fuse size. That can cause real problems. The wiring, relays and switches are typically sized for the same amps draw as the fuse. Increase the fuse size and you can cause a fire in a hurry.
If it's designed to run on 30 amps and the fuse blows more than once, there's another problem.
I also agree with trying a new battery that is all charged up.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I replaced the landing jack fuse in my 3400Rl with a 30 Amp AGC self resetting circuit breaker. It plugs right into the fuse socket (AGC). Just remember that constantly tripping a circuit breaker can weaken it, it it definitely means that there is something wrong. Tripping just once when raising off the hitch, or leveling can just be a temporary binding problem. The self setting breaker will reset after about 10 seconds. It just keeps you from having to open the door, remove the fuse, and have a spare on hand to put in there. Of course, either keep a spare breaker on hand, or a few spare fuses, just in case. I have found out in my later years that if I have an abundance of spares, I usually don't need them.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks everyone. As soon as the rain stops I will get the battery check and possibly replaced.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Do they work OK if you are plugged into the tow vehicle? If yes, it could indicate battery issues. 40 amp blade fuses are available but.... Amperage and wiring go hand in hand. If the wiring isn't up to carrying a 40 amp load, you are asking for trouble with overheated wiring. You did mention rain though - is it possible you have a leak causing shorting problems? Lastly, and please don't hate me for suggesting this, are your back stabilizers raised so the jacks aren't fighting them? We all make mistakes!!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
My 07 3400RL came from the factory with 40 amp fuses. You can find them at most auto stores.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tom S,
No hate. The back stabilizers were up. I did not have the rig hooked to the TV something to try. Thanks.

TLightning
Thanks for the info on the fuse. But because the fuse holder and the wiring are rated at 30 AMP I do not think I will go to a larger fuse unless I change out the holder, switch and wiring.

George
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
George,
When hooked to the rig, some, and most, vehicles require the ignition key to be on. It is best to start the engine and let the alternator help with providing the power.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ok George, here is my experience with blown fuses on the legs....very recently...I had the front JT stablizers engaged and tightened. When engaging the legs the fuse blew. Duh I know but that is what caused my problem. Have not had many fuses go though overall.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Battery low on fluid. Everything else checked ok. I will try to raise and lower the rig tomorrow to see what happens.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Someone mentioned that the fuses wear out if tripped frequently. We recently toured the factory at Goshen and I asked the sales people there if they had an extra fuse. He immediately reached into a box next to his desk and handed me a couple recommending I change them out. Apparently this is not uncommon, but you always have to watch these things because of some other reason than a weak fuse.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
George,
Low fluid could have been the problem but another cause could be dirty connections. Even though they can look ok, if there is even a bit of oxidation on them it could cause high resistance under heavy load. Clean the connections with emery paper until they shine and spray with oxidation inhibitor. Auto parts stores sells cans of spray for battery terminals. This will work. Tighten everything really snug when reassembling.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks Jim. I wll do that.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
dtcasey

M.O.C. #8360
I had the same issue with my jacks blowing the fuse. Found the motor/gear box for the jacks had gotten what looked water inside and bearing failure. Finally had to lower and raise jacks by hand- the drill motor. Not fun. Replaced the motor/ gearbox combo and the issue resolved for now. Not sure how well this unit is made.
dtcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
George, I'm curious whether the low battery fluid level was the culprit. We blew two fuses, months apart. But, then, ours came with 40 amp fuse installed. I now have a 40 amp auto resetting breaker installed in place of the fuse.

Anyhow, where I was going is that blowing 1 fuse is one thing but blowing 7 would indicate a problem and I'm wondering if low battery would really cause that much amperage draw? Sounds like there might be another problem, but I hope it's just the battery.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
George, like you mentioned I would not put in a larger fuse without veryifing the size of the sw. first. All that current goes thru that sw. not a relay. Could be a hazard to your fingers. JMO
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My switch on our 07 gave up the contacts and was causing fuses or resettable breaker to trip. I replaced it and found the switch is a 20 amp switch. So I claim that is the weak link.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Replaced the battery a 24 series that had low fluid with a new 27 series and problem seem to be resolved. Have not blown any fuses so far
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #20
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
George, my 2007 came from the factory with a 40 amp fuse. I too changed it out with a circuit breaker after blowing several fuses. When your hooked up with the landing gear half up, it is no fun trying to squeeze under the door that is blocked by your tailgate, to replace the fuse you can't hardly reach or even see well. Having a genset, there isn't much room. Get a 40 amp circuit breaker. I got the mountable type with wire nuts, and mounted it to the wall inside the compartment. Clean installation and no more problems.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote