Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Microsoft XP cookie question

I would like to remove the stored cookies, but don't want to delete any that will make my life miserable.
I think I know what a cookie is....
As much Internet surfing as i do, I imagine my cookie jar is pretty full.
Thanks,
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

I am sure that a computer guru will come along, but when I got rid of all of my cookies on my computer it wiped out everything. The ones that I use often I put into my favorites before I cleaned the cookie jar. By doing that my passwords and websites that I visit often were still there. I just pulled them out of favorites when I needed them, them the cookie jar was filling up again. The websites that are important I don't leave my password of user name on them.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Ozz,

One of the tools I use frequently to check and clean the garbage from my PC is CCleaner. You can download it from: http://www.ccleaner.com/

There are too many features to describe here, but you can use it to selectively remove cookies, clean the Windows registry, and remove temporary internet files. You can use it in an analyze mode only if you want so it won't do anything bad unless you tell it too. Best of all, it's free and doesn't contain any adware or spyware.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Colleen,
Good to hear from you. Are you and Bob down South again? I bet you are planning on another cruise, you guys earned it.
Yep, that is what I am afraid of, changing something that I don't know how to fix.
Did it help your computer when yo emptied the cookie jar?
Ozz
Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Mike, I will download that and try it.
Ozz
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I removed 1,070 MB, Temporary Internet files: 5,412
Good thing I remembered my MOC password. (Colleen, I made sure I had the password correctly written dwon.)
Appreciate it Mike.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
If you are using FireFox, click on Tools, Options, then the Privacy icon and then "Show Cookies." You can see what each cookie is and remove them if you wish.

Also, sometimes keeping "persistent" cookies is necessary if you wish to keep your passwords, such as for the MOC forum. Normally you will be asked if you want to keep the PW on the computer. No need to say that for financial needs it is not wise to keep the PW on the computer.

I hate those tracking cookies that tell the web site how many times you visit them. I run "Adaware," and "SpyBot," to clean out most of them. I say most, because no individual program will catch all of the "privacy" issues on a computer, that is why I run two, and then it only catches what the software has been programmed for.

There are many programs out there that will read the cookie file for you. Just search on the word "Cookie Reader," for a list.

You can do a search on your computer for the word "cookie" and you will get a bunch of listings. (Stupid things are all over the place) Create a folder called anything but "cookie(s)" and move all of your cookie files into the folder. (Some may not be movable) You could then move them back, one at a time, when needed. (PITA - but doable when you are retired!)

It's a never ending battle.

Good luck.

Edited:
p.s., My wife asked me what I was going to do today.
I said, "Nothing!"
She Said, "You did that yesterday!"
I said, "I know. I haven't finished yet!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can remove any and all cookies. They will come back when you re-visit the particular websites.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

I always cross my fingers when I am doing stuff to my computer. A friend used to work for IBM, in fact installed the computers at the Johnson Space Center. He tells things to do all of the time. I do them and mess things up. He forgets that he does a little step in between something else and ooppps. So lessoned learned, I now always cook dinner for he and his wife and let him fix the problem. My computer likes it alot better that way.

As Irva posted, once you visit a website again you will have a new cookie. I do delete my temporary files and defrag my computer ever so often to get rid of junk.

We have two cruises booked right now, one to Alaska in May 09 and one to the Mexian Rivera in Jan 10. Heah, come join us on the Mexico cruise, they will have cheap Corona.

We have left Padre, in fact we ran from Ike to Driftwood. We are now in Bacliff/Texas City area, arriving here on September 22. Not sure how long we will be here. Guess we will work as long as it is paying the bills.

Remember you have a spare bedroom on the hill, or a place to park the Montana. Still don't have a 50 amp yet, but do have the extension cord. I was surprised when we went back home that the AC in the living room came on with just the extension cord plugged in. We had the frig on, and I guess I didn't realize that Bob had turned the AC on when we were down here in Bacliff. I ran in and turned the AC off as soon as I heard it. Thank goodness I was outside and heard it turn on.

Be sure to treat the computer cookies with gentle hands, and go to the market and get Oreos to chomp on.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having been using the Internet since approx 1993 I have never found any problems collecting cookies.
Having said that,About 10 years ago I deleted my cookies and for me that was just about the beginning of the end to my Internet surfing. Every time I revisited any of my old sites I was at a loss. At that time I had at least 10 to 15 different passwords. I spent way too much time trying to remember which password I used on my various favorites. I spent hours RE-registering at many sites. What a mistake deleting cookies caused me.
Since that episode I have never deleted cookies and I never intend to ever delete cookies.
My computer deletes ALL temporary internet files automatically and that is all. All cookies remain.
OH and BTW-- I DO NOT intend to get into any discussion on here about cookies. I have my cookies set at the lowest possible setting. Therefore I collect cookies at every site I visit as I surf the 'Net. I do not fear them at all. There is way to much garbage out there concerning the damage a cookie may or may not do to your 'puter and most every negative belief about cookies is just that "GARBAGE". As computer novices, we have a BAD tendency to believe everything we hear and read on the 'Net, 'If we see it on the 'Net it must be true'. WRONG!!!!!

FORGET about cookies and get on with your life.

And that, my friends, is my final word on this subject and this thread PERIOD.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote