Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Printing from a laptop

I have a Dell desktop computer with an Epson Stylus CX9400 printer hooked directly to the tower. My internet is connected to a LINKSYS wireless router so I use my laptop through out the house. How can I print from the laptop? The drivers for the CX9400 are on the laptop. I know it can be done because we have this same setup at work. HELP!!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wireless networking is the answer. Your printer needs to be wireless also. I noticed that Dell has a fairly inexpensive wireless printer. Mine is a fairly large combo printer, scanner, FAX, copier, and photo printer from HP. It is wireless, so both Dianna and I can print from our laptops. If I were buying today, I would probably try the Dell printer for half the money.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Go to the printer properties on the desktop and make sure it is set to share.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Start a home network between the desktop and laptop. Then share the printer on the desktop and you should be in business. Thats what I did.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Search on the subject:

file and print sharing

in Google.

Also, if you have a firewall turned on you will have to address you system in the "trusted" zone.

Edited: One Example of Search
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Are both computers running the same operating system. I know my Vista and XP require more coordination or software upgrade.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
OK - Thanks for all the suggestions but still not there yet. John, I googled and found the step by step instructions. Both computers are using XP. The printer has been shared (I did this on the desktop computer). Now this is where things don't seem to work. These are the remainder of the instructions:

To connect to the printer

(I think I do this on the laptop.)

Open the Control Panel, and click Printers and Other Hardware.

(I found Printers and Faxes not printer and other hardware.)

Click Add a Printer.

(OK. The add a printer wizard shows up.)

Instead of adding a local printer, click Printer Connection and then browse the network for the printer.

(I did not find PRINTER CONNECTION anywhere in the wizard. Now I did follow the wizard instructions and completed the wizard instructions but no go.)

This is more confusing that I thought.

I won't have the time to play with this until Sunday. We are heading to NYC tomorrow for the day.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I suppose you ran the network setup wizard on both computers?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Do you have a wireless router for the printer?The way I understand it you need a separate wireless router for the printer
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have a Verizon PC-5750 Air Card in a Linksys wireless router.(WRT54G3G-ST) I have two desktops, HP All-in-One Printer and Satellite Receiver connected to the router via ethernet cables. The DW & I connect our laptops via WiFi. The only problems I have had, is if I reset the power to the router, I need to make sure the printer URL has not changed. If it has you need to reboot the printer and other computers.

If your printer doesn't have ethernet connections, then follow the suggestions other members have made.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote