Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bill we don’t haft to have insurance on the camper and I don’t but we do on the truck. We had a customer Brownells that said we had to have several million dollars of product Liability insurance on our products. Have you ever tried to get insurance on anything associated with a gun? It was going to cost more than what we sent them so we dropped them. They were our biggest customer. They lost a lot of little vendors it’s bound to have hurt them.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #22
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
I double tow frequently in the summer time in NV and CA. The jetski trailer is around 2800# w/ four skis on it. The combination is 75' overall. I did get a class A, but it's NOT a CDL. I don't know why people always assume and state "you need a Class A CDL". You're not commercial, just heavy.

<------

I've been in CA, ID, MT, and NV. No issues.

with 4000# trailer....two things,

1) you will need brakes on the 4k trailer and a way to control them. Some have installed second brake controllers, and some just add to the existing. If you have EoH discs on the Montana, you'll likely need another controller for the tag trailer.

2) I'd make sure the tongue weight doesn't exceed 300-350# and it should be in the safe range for the frame. I know my 3790RD is stiff in the 10' section where the rear storage tray is. The whole floor of the storage is has steel channel and it's welded to the inside of the WF frame beams.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:08 PM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I The combination is 75' overall. I did get a class A, but it's NOT a CDL. I don't know why people always assume and state "you need a Class A CDL". You're not commercial, just heavy..
The CA requirement is very clear.

No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license with the proper endorsement.
Reference: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...%20endorsement.

Also 75' is more than what is allowed in CA

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #24
Brew
Established Member

M.O.C. #28438
to jetskier...Thanks, you are the first person that actually answered my question. I will get a frame mounted actuator for the brakes on the electric brakes on the second tow. My Montana has disc brakes.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:10 AM   #25
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The annual Good Sam Campground Guide gives all you need to know about towing in all situations. The only thing I did not find was DL requirements.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #26
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Until you are involved in an accident then you are guilty of criminal liability since you were told it's illegal. That's jail time.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #27
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Double tow is not allowed in California. Don't know about AZ.

That said, people down the street from me towed a ski boat behind their Reflection 5th wheel which was pulled by a GM Duramax 3/4 T. Go figure.
You CAN double tow in California, but with restrictions. Did it for years. There are length restrictions, and licensing restrictions.
That being said, I had a custom hitch built for my 3130, and pull an enclosed trailer with a side by side in it.

Funny thing is, I'm tired of towing. So, this week, I am getting rid of my Montana, and going back to a diesel pusher.
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:14 PM   #28
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
Not to be argumentative, and as far as California is concerned double towing is the least of that states problems, having said that double towing and licensing issues revert back to the state of registration. For example, if your rig is registered in Florida, as ours is, double towing is NOT permitted. Buuuut, if you drive into or through Florida, double towing, and your rig and trailer[s] are registered in another state that double towing is permitted, said law is NOT enforceable.
RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #29
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
When we were traveling more we double towed a fair amount; usually within ND, MN, WI, MT, SD.

The 2nd trailer was a Ranger 621 boat on a tandem axle trailer, it was around the 4500lb mark without water. Gross on that trailer was 5800lbs but we stayed light intentionally when double towing (no water, limited fuel).

The hitch (on the rear of all the 5th wheels we used) wasn't factory, I had them strengthened significantly as I didn't trust the factory setup).

We also towed with an HDT, it was long (HDT singled mid, 40ft to hauler, 21ft Ranger). We typically didn't use the HDT when double towing, but I did a time or two. Didn't have issues but it looked suspicious when underway (it was around 85ft depending upon the hitch position on the HDT).
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote