Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
rookie water heater question

Sometimes figuring out this RV stuff is like being nibbled to death by a duck. The only way I know to drain the water heater is to pull the rod out, re-teflon tape it and put it back in (as instructed by the former owner). Is there a better way? This seems a bit tedious.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hate to say it but that's the same thing I was told. Maybe someone has another way.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that's the easiest, but think of it this way...only have to do it once a year!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Pulling the rod is the easyest way to drain the heater. Its also a good time to check out the rod and see if it needs replaced! They do deteriorate fairly quickly and should be replaced to keep from damaging the tank itself.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We purchesed a brass fitting with pipe threads on one end and male hose threads on the other. Pull the rod screw the fitting in with hose attached. Open the safety valve and water drains away from the unit. With a double female fitting and a hose gated Y you can refill the tank and rinse it out with out unhooking. It helps if you are retired fire fighter with engine experience. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Treecounter. Doesn't the water come out of your hot water tank when you remove the anode rod? And why does opening the "safety valve" drain your tank?

Thanks,
Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:26 AM   #7
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
When I winterized last weekend I left both outside drains open to drain the plumbing as per instructions. When I noticed no more water coming from the drains I opened the safety valve on the water heater. Hot water immediately began pouring out from the one drain hose for about ten minutes. Could this be an easier method than removing the anode? If the anode needs to be replaced, I would rather replace it in the spring when I re-open for another season.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That is what I do too, opening the hot taps should work as a vent too. I do remove the anode plug though, after the tank is empty. I even syphon out the remaining water in the HW tank. An, even better method that I used last year, and hope to again this year: HEAD SOUTH!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dental Floss Tycoon

When I noticed no more water coming from the drains I opened the safety valve on the water heater.
I too emptied my hot water tank this way because like you said, once you remove the rod only so much water comes out.

But........on my travel trailer we had to replace the safety valve (WATER WAS LEAKING FROM THERE) and the guy at the then RV shop told us that they wear out faster if you use them to relieve the water. BUT WHAT OTHER WAY IS THERE????
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Opening the hot water faucet inside should work
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
On this same subject. Is there any symptom that suggests the rod needs to be changed other than taking it out for a visual inspection??
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, I never thought about emptying the tank that way. I like it. Great idea. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:58 AM   #13
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Regardless of the way that I used to empty the hot water heater, I'd want to remove the anode rod plug to make sure that I had in fact emptied the hot water heater as part of the winterization process. (I actully leave the rod out until Spring,. I just plug the hole with a clean cloth.)This would also ensure that I had checked the anode rod for replacement at least once a year.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Opening the pop-off valve permits air to get into the water heater and in turn lets the water out of the water heater faster than just opening faucets. You don't have to drain every last drop of water out the water heater in order to winterize. Just be sure you bypass the water heater when you pump antifreeze in (it will take TOO much antifreeze).

Before we went full time RVing, when I winterized, I removed the anode rod, inspected it, drained the water heater and then replaced the anode rod.

I've only had to replace the anode rod once in 4 years, but I just replaced it this past week since I had flushed the water heater out and had the anode rod out anyway. It still had a lot of life in it.

I don't know of any way to tell if the rod is bad short of removing it and looking at it.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you for the feedback one and all.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #16
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Pulling the anode rod is about the best way. When I winterize I cut the remaining part of the rod off and just lightly screw the "nut" part back in. You need to pull (and replace ) the rod at least once a year anyway. Beside all that white cruddy stuff comes off the rod and settles in the tank. It won't drain the tank when you take the plastic drain caps off because the tank has sort of a vaccum in it that prevents it from drains out the regular lines, beside you might suck some of those sediments into your main line. (At least that is what I was told) But before you pull the rod, open the relief valve or you'll get a quick bath. To flush it out I barely screw a regular garden hose into the rod opening, open the relief, let it fill a little, close the relief to build a little pressure (few seconds), then reach around the corner of the trailer and unscrew the hose. water and crud will shoot out about 12-15 ft. Repeat that a couple of times and it will get all the sediments out of the tank.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:53 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting. I'm getting ready to drain, flush, and refill the tank this week so this is an interesting technique to me. So a hose will screw into the plug hole enough to keep it in place while it fills. I would never have thought of that.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:06 AM   #18
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
While its not foolproof, usually when the anode rod needs to be replaced or cleaned off, the hot water will develop a sulphury odor after a period of no use. Even without a smell, I spend the 7.95 a year to replace the anode rod anyway. Not a big investment on a rig like ours in order to keep the tank from deteriorating.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I check mine twice per year and change it as needed. It's due for checking now. I usually keep a spare anode rod around but apparently did not do so last time I changed it as I cannot locate it now. Ours doesn't have periods of non-use so that's not a problem but it's a good point to know for those in that situation.
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have been in mine for almost a year now. it sounds like the rod could be the reason I get a smell in the bathroom when I turn on the hot water..I thought it was sewer?? I gess I need to replace the rod. I also was wondering If anyone else had a seeping from somewere. It seems only at night when we both shower then some water will run out the water heater door outside and I hear it dripping on the ground. I take a flashlight and look and cant see it leaking anywhere, in the daytime I run the hot water in the Kitchen and bath and watch it and see nothing. No leaking ???
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote