Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMan View Post
There is supposed to be a car museum south of Sedona. It might be a miniature car museum. People we camped next to in Petrified Forest told us about it.
I think you might be referring to the Dwarf Car Museum in Maricopa, AZ south of Phoenix. Fascinating place to visit.

https://www.dwarfcarmuseum.com

Here is just one example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_113526.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	8591

And the same car with a better perspective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_113813.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	8592

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #22
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you go to see a museum in Rosewell go to the real museum next to the visitor center. You'll find the largest collection of cowboy and native american artifacts west of the Field Museum in Chicago. In addition the other half of the museum is fine arts with a concentration of western artists, and in the middle there is a continually changing exhibit area and the workshop and exibits from Gotterds rocket expermenting days in New Mexico. No end to the interesting things oil money can bring to town.
What Dick said. The Roswell Goddard museum is a must see. Much from Dr. Robert Goddard and a lot of Native American artifacts and history. They used to have a lot of Peter Hurd and some Wyeth as well.
I was born and raised in Roswell. Know the man whose land the “aliens” landed on. One of Poe Corn’s ranches.
After Walker AFB closed, the town was starving. Got a bus company to start manufacturing buses there. ENMU-R opened a branch campus there. The town was still looking for a hook to bring business to town. It ended up making Roswell the alien capital of the world. Too funny. Too hokey as well.
I am a believer in alien life but when I asked Mr. Corn, many years ago, what happened there his answer was “I don’t know if anything happened there or not but I don’t mind charging folks $6 per car to drive around my pasture.”
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #23
fswalker4

M.O.C. #25891
Las Cruces/Mesilla

If you get to Las Cruces, I recommend the Mesilla area. Nice little old town area with fun shops and eateries.
fswalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:37 PM   #24
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Santa Fe - lots of shops to browse, plenty of restaurants; Bandelier National Monument
Los Alamos, NM (visitor center/museum closed as are most national/state parks that we found on our 11K mile trip last August/September. Look at ruins, climb in caves, etc. White Sands - now a Nat'l Park (was stated at missile range eons ago. Cloudcroft east of Alamogordo - beautiful high country - gets snow.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #25
DaveS1949

M.O.C. #22221
I second Carlsbad Caverns for sure. Old Tucson movie set , San Xavier del Bac mission, ICBM middle silo tour, Arizona Desert museum west of town, Pima air and space museum, and about an hour away is Tombstone ( very touristy but see it at least once ). I also agree with White Sands, the missile museum and the dunes.
DaveS1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #26
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Forgot to add an item - most Indian reservation lands that we passed thru (12+ States) are closed as they were hit hard with the virus. Any venues on their lands are likewise closed. Monument Valley was a case in point last year - completely closed. Would doubt it is still closed.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #27
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
We live just north of Carlsbad in Artesia. If you’re coming from Alamogordo by the white sands park just be warned that 82 from Alamogordo to Artesia is a VERY steep pull till you get to Cloudcroft. Alamogordo also has a great space museum. If you DO come up the mountain on 82 there’s also sunspot just south of Cloudcroft. It’s an observatory. Cloudcroft is a nice little mountain town with your typical little shops just 1 block north of the hiway. From there coming down the mountain is a place called mayhill. Little restaurant there has great food. Burgers and home made cinnamon rolls are to die for.
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #28
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
We are in benson, az now. Thanks so much.
My battery is dying. Cheers!
HawkeyeDoesFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #29
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
The meteor crater is worth a look if you’re going by. If you’re anywhere near Page, AZ, there is the Antelope Canyon (if it’s open) and Horseshoe Bend.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #30
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I think you might be referring to the Dwarf Car Museum in Maricopa, AZ south of Phoenix. Fascinating place to visit.

https://www.dwarfcarmuseum.com

Here is just one example:

Attachment 8591

And the same car with a better perspective.

Attachment 8592
Those cars are also drivable. The guy is a real craftsman. Check this he was on the My Classic Cars show.
https://www.myclassiccar.com/episode/22/22/

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #31
Silverado Sam
Established Member

M.O.C. #17348
The four corners are nowhere near their route
Silverado Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #32
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
THANKS! We went to Benson, AZ and Tombstone twice.
Good recommendations.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #33
Alaskan Geronimo

M.O.C. #28261
We camped at the "Bottomless Lakes Campground" while going to the Tractor drags in Roswell. Pretty Cool area!!!
Alaskan Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #34
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
FU questions Roy & Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy & Georgia View Post
We live just north of Carlsbad in Artesia. If you’re coming from Alamogordo by the white sands park just be warned that 82 from Alamogordo to Artesia is a VERY steep pull till you get to Cloudcroft. Alamogordo also has a great space museum. If you DO come up the mountain on 82 there’s also sunspot just south of Cloudcroft. It’s an observatory. Cloudcroft is a nice little mountain town with your typical little shops just 1 block north of the hiway. From there coming down the mountain is a place called mayhill. Little restaurant there has great food. Burgers and home made cinnamon rolls are to die for.

Hello Roy & Georgia. We touched down last night here in Hope, NM at the nice folks whom are our Hosts with "Boondockers Welcome".
Yes, We loved the town of Cloudcroft, NM going through it. Reminds me of Oregon Mtn Ski towns.

Steep pull is correct on 82. What is the name of the "Sunspot? or Observatory" you mentioned near Mayhill, NM?

Also, what is the name of the Restaurant you mentioned, "Little restaurant there has great food. Burgers and home made cinnamon rolls are to die for." It was in Mayhill, Thanks!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #35
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Hi GILAELKHUNTER,
YOU did us GOOD with the suggestion. We did as you suggested and spent (3) nights at CITY OF ROCKS CG. That was like nothing I have ever seen in the USA..... MANY Thanks for your advice!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #36
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Meteor crater next to Winslow.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #37
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeDoesFly View Post
Hi GILAELKHUNTER,
YOU did us GOOD with the suggestion. We did as you suggested and spent (3) nights at CITY OF ROCKS CG. That was like nothing I have ever seen in the USA..... MANY Thanks for your advice!
You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. If you ever get back this way, there are numerous things to do and see in this area, (when things get back to normal).
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #38
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Thumbs up Thanks for the New Mexico Ideas - Done

GILAELKHUNTER: (Quote)
"you are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. If you ever get back this way, there are numerous things to do and see in this area, (when things get back to normal)."

Thanks SO MUCH TO EVERYONE for your input !!