Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #1
Nazoomer

M.O.C. #31143
New to 5th wheels need a little help

Hi, I am a new member. I have poked around a bit and am overwhelmed with the knowledge on this forum.

My wife and I have owned 2 class A RV's in the past. Most recently 99 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision that we loved but decided to sell for a variety of reasons. Miss it.

Anyway, a person donated a 2008 Montana 3665RE to our church. They claimed it had only been used twice! By the looks of it I believe it. It was also garage kept. It is a 10th anniversary limited edition with the Artic Insulated package.

Due to my prior experience(?), I have been asked to "go over" it and help decide what it needs and what to do with the Montana.

Here is what I have found (so far):

I can only find 1 battery and it will charge but the SG is very low so it will not hold a charge. I have to get a dog bone to connect shore power (120 v only).
It comes with a propane generator that I doubt has every been used based on the engine paint!

Is there a master electric switch? I need to get the slides (4) out to get around in the unit. I am not sure how the control panel works exactly, it does not have 4 separate slide switches that I can see or understand?

I am used to a Utility control bay on a class A but I don't see such a location on this? Can't find city water hook up only a fill tube in the back, Did find the find waste water valve.

I did download a manual from Keystone of a 2005 model they did not have a 2008 manual.

There is a picture of a outside control panel for landing gear, Wireless and hydraulic room control. I get the landing gear but the wireless and hydraulic control are a bit of a mystery. The key fobe did come with a wireless function for a light and up and down arrows. Could that be used to wirelessly raise and lower the landing gear?

The other picture includes, Monitoring gauges for tanks, LP, battery. The other panel is the thermostat. The third one is lights and awning and a Glide room? Is there only one switch for all the slide outs? Doesn't seem right to me? What am I missing?

I would really appreciate any help anyone is willing to give, I hope this is not too much to ask?

Any guess on value of this rig?

thank you very much,

Nazoomer (Gary)

I am attaching a few photos of controls panels for some help on there use and function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220606_144538570.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	12175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220607_144201707.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	12176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220607_144229459_HDR.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	12177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220607_144716468.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	12178  

Nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Surely someone closer can come over and help you out! Sadly, I'm on the far side of the country but would have liked to spend a few hours on that beauty.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Here's some info
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...n-3600re-tr200
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2008montanabrochurepdf.pdf
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/...4098345/Values

Someone here will know the 2008 slide controls. Check battery power and hydraulic fluid level. Plug it into shore power. I see a slide switch on the panel. I don't know about the slide knobs in the convenance center. Do any of the controls work?
Old 06-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazoomer View Post
...I can only find 1 battery and it will charge but the SG is very low so it will not hold a charge. I have to get a dog bone to connect shore power (120 v only).
It comes with a propane generator that I doubt has every been used based on the engine paint!

Is there a master electric switch? I need to get the slides (4) out to get around in the unit. I am not sure how the control panel works exactly, it does not have 4 separate slide switches that I can see or understand?....
First, get a RV deep cycle battery that holds its charge. The battery is needed when extending the slides as the electrical converter doesn't have enough power on its own.

Second get a dog bone attachment to connect the RV to shore power. 15 amp will work if just charging the battery but 30 amps is better. The shore power is need to charge the battery.

I do not believe there was a "master" disconnect switch for the 12V side. The 120v disconnect is the circuit breakers in the electrical panel.

There are 3 separate functional areas in picture 3. The upper left is the control for the front landing gear (extend and retract). The lower area are controls (valves) for each of the four hydraulic slide outs.

The valves are: Bed = Bedroom; ODS = Off Door Side aka the driver's side; DS = Door side (i.e. passenger's side); and AUX = which is a slide I am not familiar with.

Normally the valves are open which allows the hydraulic system to move the slide. You can close a valve by turning it clockwise and now that slide will not be moved by the hydraulic system. This allows you to move slides in or out as needed. But the normal setting is to have the valves all open.

The slides are hydraulically operated via the "Glide" switch in picture 3. There is one hydraulic loop for all the slides. When you open or close, they will operate in a semi-sequential order starting with the lightest weight to the heaviest. You can change this by using the valves I mentioned above.

The Upper Left controls I am not familiar with but I am guessing they work with the remote control. The "Room" position is likely for the slides (or Glide as sometimes called). I have no idea what "AWG' might mean. The "LG" is the landing gear" and the "STB" must be the rear stabilizers. I didn't ever have or see this control so it is all a guess.

Quote:
....I am used to a Utility control bay on a class A but I don't see such a location on this? Can't find city water hook up only a fill tube in the back, Did find the find waste water valve....
I skipped the 2008 era, but the everything you want is there. The water fill at the back is the fill for the fresh water tank. If you want to hook up to city water, I remember a hose connection on the driver's side wall. The drain valves for the holding tanks are in two places. The black and shower tank drains are in the pass through compartment on the left side. The galley tank - yes there are two grey water tanks despite what you might read in the brochures - is a handle sticking out of the frame on the driver's side somewhere around the wheels (either in front or behind or?). The sere drain should be obvious exiting out the driver's side in front of the wheels.

Quote:
....The key fobe did come with a wireless function for a light and up and down arrows. Could that be used to wirelessly raise and lower the landing gear?
I think that is correct but I have never seen it before

Quote:
....The other picture includes, Monitoring gauges for tanks, LP, battery. The other panel is the thermostat. The third one is lights and awning and a Glide room? Is there only one switch for all the slide outs? Doesn't seem right to me? What am I missing?...
You have it correctly. Only one switch for all the slide outs as described above.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I just did a search for “2008 keystone Montana 3665RE” video and several came up. Generally these are videos posted by dealers, and they take a walk around the outside and explain the features and then they walk you thru the inside. Even if you find a video for a 2006, 2007 or 2009, they will be beneficial. Watch a few of the videos - I think they will help.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #6
Nazoomer

M.O.C. #31143
What a blessing to have you all respond with your expertise! I will follow up as I make progress. Thank you so much
Nazoomer
Old 06-09-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazoomer View Post
I am used to a Utility control bay on a class A but I don't see such a location on this? Can't find city water hook up only a fill tube in the back, Did find the find waste water valve.
Inside the driver's side basement doors there should be 3 water connections for fresh water, winterizing port, and black tank flush. Along with switches for water normal/fill selection, water heater bypass on/off selection, and winterize on/off selection. And a 12 vdc shutoff switch with large red handle.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Also, if it hasn't been used but just sitting, the water heater anode rode may be removed. ON the side, there should be a small door about 2 ft x 2 ft or so. Open this and check inside. Also, I think there will be a power switch to heat with the electric instead of gas. You may have to search to find it in this area by the heater.

Oh, if the anode is out don't try to hook up water or you will have a nice flood coming out here!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
Nazoomer

M.O.C. #31143
Update on Montana status:
Replaced the battery. I found the city water, HW bypass, grey water valves, and battery cutoff etc. I just didn't open the right side of the exterior door, dugh!

The battery cut off was on and I am pretty sure that the three lights that came on when I replaced the battery took the old battery out.

I ran the slides out and in but, the hydraulic reservoir has only about an 1/2" now. I know it's not good. Unfortunately I do not have a tow vehicle readily available. Would it be feasible to add enough ATF to bring the level up an inch or two then get a tow vehicle under it and then retract the front landing gear and then top off the reservoir to the 1" below neck level? The slides are in and don't want to over flow the reservoir when pulling up the landing gear.

I have a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter coming so I can keep the battery up and lights but understand not enough power for anything else.

I really appreciate all the posts and advice.

Thank you
Nazoomer
Old 06-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Doesn't your 2008 have electric landing gear? The hydraulic system is for the slides only in that case and you can add fluid when they are all in.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
Nazoomer

M.O.C. #31143
Yes the unit has electric landing gear. I was reading a post that had hydraulic system.

The slide units use a hydraulic pump. The fluid level went back up half way after retracting the slides. The Lippert site recommends ATF type A but the fluid in the reservoir is Amber in color not Red like ATF.

I believe ATF Type A is equivalent to AW32 in viscosity, I am thinking I should not mix ATF (red) with the existing Amber color fluid? So I need to find some AW32 fluid to top off. Would that be accurate?

Battery all good. I have 120 VAC to the unit and it charges the battery! The remote will run the front landing gear up and down.

Is it save to say that once the reservoir is topped off I should run the slides off and watch the fluid level and let them stay out for a while (hoping the air will purge) and then retract them and watch the level as well.

Thank you again for all your help.

Nazoomer

thank
Old 06-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Also, you have three dump valves - black, gray and galley. Many people miss the Galley, it is in front of the front driver side tire. We had a 2010 Big Sky 365 - the upgraded 3665. It was a nice floor plan. Everything from the table forward was the same as a 3400, one of Keystone’s best sellers ever. There should be a boxy remote To raise and lower the TV. I don’t believe the 2008 had a convenience center. The water fills in back and the water heater bypass and Winterizing valves are under the living room side of the kitchen counter.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:10 PM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for purging air in hydraulic tank, I think you just run the slides in and out 5-10 times. I had 2 new rams installed in Goshen on my first trip with the rig. Slides were creeping out on the road. Then on the way home they started creeping again and the dealer just ran the slides in and out several times and no more problems.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gary since the color of your fluid in the hydraulic reservoir is amber colored it is hydraulic fluid. You can go to any farm supply store or even auto parts store and purchase hydraulic fluid. You can fill the reservoir to the correct level as long as the slides are closed but don't fill it while they are open or you will create a real mess in that front bay. The system will purge itself by rotating the slides in and out numerous times. It will not automatically purge the air out of the line by leaving them open only.

Can I suggest one thing and that is add another deep cell marine battery to the battery section and hook them up in parallel. This will give you the same power but longer lasting.

Can I suggest one other thing. If the unit has been sitting for any amount of time in one place check the tires very carefully for dry rot and cracking. If they are they are just waiting to be moved and ready to blow out and cause some nasty damage to the sides of the unit.

Just remember that this Forum is full of knowledge and a whole lot of folks can give you answers to nearly any question you might have about the unit. So go into Files and Search Engine to find answers and if you don't ask away and get answers from the experts-- other Montana owners here.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #15
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Hydraulic fluid
If your fluid is red it is Automatic transmission fluid.
If it is yellow it is AW32W hydraulic fluid. Available at any parts store.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just a word of caution: When running the slide in and out numerous time allow time for the motor to cool down every couple of cycles or you could end up replacing the motor.
Happened to a neighbor with his Monty.