Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
Hooterville
Established Member

M.O.C. #29770
3121 measurement for panels

I am currently waiting for the delivery of my new 3121 Legacy to my dealer to happen. Its built and currently waiting on the transport company to get to it.

It was ordered with the base Solarflex 200 package and i will be adding solar panels. I want to confirm that the panels that I have found will fit. I am hoping one of you that own a 3121 could climb up on your roof and measure the distance from the back the front air conditioner shroud to the front of the rear air conditioner shroud.

I will document the install of 2500 watts of panels and post when completed.

Thanks.

Hooterville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #2
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I have no idea how you will find the room for that many watts on your roof. I have 720 watts on a 3720 (which is plenty for us) and I may have room for 4 more panels but that is only 1440 . Remember that the roof has several protrusions such as vents, skylights and fan housings typically all over the roof.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
Hooterville
Established Member

M.O.C. #29770
I will be building an elevated aluminum rack system with the 6, 70" x 41" panels located 10" above the roof surface. They will clear the vents and skylights but sit lower than the top of the A/C shrouds.

This wil be located between the front and rear A/C units.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:48 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If I was doing mine again, I would mount aluminum unistrut rails first. Then mount the panels to the rails. The reason is (1) having rails you can be sure every screw you put through the roof will be in a rafter stud (use a stud finder)
And (2) you can change/reconfigure the panels without drilling new holes.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
Hooterville
Established Member

M.O.C. #29770
Daryl,
I will be using 3/16 aluminium 2" wide angle as the rail. A full length 20 foot long piece on each side of the roof will run across the rafters so all fastners will be into the rafters. Uprights, 1/4" aluminum flat stock 10" tall, will be bolted with 1/4" SS bolts to these base rails every 24" and another full length angle aluminium rail will be attached to the top of the uprights.
The panels will be bolted to the top rails.
I have been seeing a few of these designs on the interweb. Adventure Endeavor on YouTube recently posted his setup on a travel trailer which I used as inspiration.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #6
Hooterville
Established Member

M.O.C. #29770
Just got a reply from a member on the 2131RL face book group. There is 22"3" distance between the AC units and all I needed was 20"6". The 6 panels will fit with 18" to spare.

Trailer will should be delivered to the dealer in 3 weeks. I have all the pieces and the snow has just about finished melting.