Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
Winterizing question (toilet and black tank flush)

Is it a good idea to put about a cup of antifreeze in toilet bowl for the winter storage to prevent seal from drying out and then leaking? In the past I have just sprayed silicon spray the best I could on seal for winter.
Does the blank tank flush drain or should I make sure antifreeze is run through the flush lines.
Thanks

martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
I normally leave about a cup of antifreeze in the toilet I'm not sure if the seal will get damaged if you don't so I do it anyway. As for the flush lines in the black tank, I blow them out with compressed air for about a minute or so and have never had a problem. I live in upstate NY where it does get well below zero and never had an issue in the spring.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
When winterizing I take an old tooth brush and carefully run it around the seal where the flapper closes on it. I do this on both the top and bottom side of the seal. This cleans out any possible solids or gunk that might have latched onto the seal. I then take the tooth brush and put some Vaseline or plumbers grease it and run it around the seal giving it a good coat both top and bottom. I then close the flapper and put about a cup or two of the pink stuff in the bowl to keep that seal from drying out even though the Vaseline or plumbers grease should solve that problem. Better safe than sorry I always say! I also blow the black tank flush line out with air to get any water out of it so it doesn't freeze.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I use antifreeze for winterizing. So when I run antifreeze thru the toilet line, it leave some antifreeze in the bowl.

And I do run antifreeze thru the black tank flush line. After running antifreeze thru the outside shower, I connect that shower hose to the black tank flush and use it to run antifreeze thru the black tank flush line. My black tank flush has a check valve behind the screen washer so it does not drain when disconnected.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote