Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Bedroom slide

Moc'ers, I need some information. Went to the back of my yard where the Monty is parked and noticed that the bottom of the slide was out at least 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Put the battery back in, opened the slide then closed it.Everything looked good. Today, after 2 days it is starting to open up again, about 3/4 inch. What could the problem be??

Bill

1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Have you checked for a hydraulic leak somewhere. Sounds like it's leaking somewhere or at least not holding pressure, which might indicate a leak or a loose seal. Others may be along with other suggestions....Good Luck and let us know what you find...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I understand air in the line can cause that too.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours had a similar problem. Turned out to be the check valve inside the hydraulic pump. Had to replace the pump but it was under extended warranty when the rig was six years old.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Until you get it fixed try reversing the switch for just a second to take some of the pressure off the system once they are closed. (Not enough to open but just equalize the pressure.) That should prevent the back pressure from opening it. Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Some cylinders leak passed the packing so the cylinder has to be replaced. We are trying to wait close to the end of the warranty before replace ours.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Why dont you try closing the valve to that slide when you close it next time, and see if it nudges open after a while when parked. if it does open it could be a hose loose or a leak it wont be the pump or manafold.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Others know more than I, but it sounds like a back flow seal is not holding. I would call Lippert and describe the problem and see what they might say.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Went out today and bottom out 2 inches. I opened all the slides and looked under the bed and everything is good.{ no leaks } Don, I don't have a selector valve on the pump but wished I did. Tried John's idea and we'll see what happens. Am also thinking it could be a seal not holding pressure.

Thanks for your ideas. Bill
Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Go out to the camper and call Lippert. A tech can talk you through some suggested fixes while you are at the camper and on the phone. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I had this exact same problem this past summer. It was the hydraulic cylinder leaking internally. They had to replace the cylinder. Glad I had the extended warranty.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
your topic says "Bedroom slide"..I assume that is the one that is moving... Look under the bed and check the hydraulics..there may be a leak..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Rick, I did check the hydraulic fittings and everything was good.I tried what John Kohl said, reversing the switch just a bit and the slide seem's to be holding.Thanks John {bullroc3} for your comment.I will be calling Lippert soon.

Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bill,

Your unit is new enough that there should be no pump or cylinder defects. However, that could still be a very good possibility. I am thinking that it is simply an air bubble trapped in the cylinder and or the hoses between it and the pump.

The first thing I would do is to suck all of the rooms in tight with the pump. Next, check the fluid level in the reservoir. The level needs to be up to at least one half inch of the yellow fill cap on the tank. If at that point, fluid is needed to be added, go down to Wally-World and get the cheapest automatic tranny fluid you can find. The label will need to say "Dexron/DexronIII or Merco/Mercon5". Now, when you start pouring that stuff into the reservoir, you will immediately notice that it is red in color. It ain't gonna' matter! That is another story.

Once you have the fluid level where it needs to be, move the slides all out. When they are sealed and you hear the pump growl and labor, stay on it for a second or 2. Then, suck the rooms all in and again, when you hear the pump growl and labor, stay on the switch for a second or 2. Now go out and look at the fluid in the reservoir. If you see "tiny bubbles in the wine", it is air that has been trapped and you are getting it expelled. Run the slides in and out for 2 more cycles like that, making the pump growl and labor at the end of each stroke.

At the end of the 3rd cycle and the rooms are in, let the unit set for perhaps several hours for all of the bubbles to dissipate out of the fluid thru the yellow breather/fill cap. Then, cycle the rooms once more. Look at the fluid in the reservoir and if you see no bubbles, chances are good the issue is resolved.

Remember. Air is a hydraulic systems worst enemy. If the fluid level is up, over time it will be automatically purged from the system.

Hope this helped with any ideas. If it doesn't, Lippert will be able to arrange any part replacements you may need.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill and Angie, just in case you don't already know it, Dale (MIMF) used to work for Lippert, who built the slide mechanism. He knows those things inside out and has helped many, many people on this forum, including me (multiple times). You can rely on what he says.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Steve, yes I did know that Dale is the expert and was hoping he was going to post.

Dale, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. Will run the slides tomorrow or Friday and post my findings. Thanks again.

Bill

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Steve, Thanks for the kind words. It's also fantastic to have you posting here in the forum again.

I trust all is well at this time?

Bill, Please do let us know if all of this is working OK. I, especially will be interested to know. I don't intentionally attempt to lead any body astray but, if my ideas are not working, we'll find someone that can help.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Dale.

I did as you said and did not see any bubbles. I did add some ATF and ran the slides in and out 3 times. This was done around 1:30 pm and at 7:00 pm the slide looked good. Will check again tomorrow and post the results.

Bill.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #19
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bill,

Good deal!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Indeed, let us know if it is resolved or not.

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Dale

Went out at 5o pm today and the slide was out far enough for me to put my fingers between the seal and the wall.

Bill