Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 AM   #1
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
Whats that smell?

What is that pink stuff that they put in the water system that comes with the new Montanas from the factory? That has got to be the worst smelling and tasting stuff I have ever tasted. We can not get it out of the system. We have flushed and flushed. Can't get the smell out of the sinks either. It is just gross! Kathi

Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:39 AM   #2
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
That pink stuff is RV antifreeze. It is pink to indicate that it is non-toxic and safe for use in potable water systems. Get used to it because if you live in areas where it gets down below freezing you'll have to use it every winter or blow out all your water lines.

It's not that hard to get rid of either, fill your fresh water tank with water and let each tap run (one at a time) until it runs clear. You may have to do this twice but it will clear. Your owners manual has a section on winterizing and 'summerizing'.

When I was new to this, I had my 1st shower in my Montana and I'll bet it was at least 50% antifreeze. Ugh!

By the way, Welcome to the group!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Though RV antifreeze might not be the most appetizing product, when the temperatures drop low enough, you CANNOT have a better friend! I have found that it works better than just blowing out the lines.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Lee Havlik

M.O.C. #3173
Hey paul You may want to empty your hot water tank.You may have 6/10 gal.of water antifreeze mix. that will take a long time to flush out.
Lee Havlik is offline   Reply With Quote