Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Cambridge visit

Mary Kay Hill and I toured a new Cambridge today at Stier's RV Center in Bakersfield, CA. Here's what we observed, plusses (+) and minuses (-), in our humble opinions (mainly mine, but MK reviewed the list and didn't object):

+hydraulic stabilizer jacks front & rear
+compartment for 50A cable on driver's side, rear panel (where I always thought it should be added - someone must have read my brilliant mind )
+compartment door on driver's side (just behind basement access) to access multiple controls in one place, including shore water connection, gravity fill fresh water, black tank flusher, all 3 holding tank valves, holding tank gauges (dup inside), hot and cold water valves for controlling all inside outlets separately, low point drains, 15A electric outlets
+basement doors open sideways, split in center - no heavy lifting required
+panel inside basement slides open, on passenger side, giving access to water heater, pump, furnace, etc.
+basement is full height, with holding tanks lowered below level of Montana belly - lots more room for 'stuff'
+generator prep area under front
+separate horizontal storage bay above generator/battery compartments under front
+Mor-Ryde kingpin (I love mine)
+Mor-Ryde IS system - ? I think, didn't double-check
+recliners comfortable
+all wood cabinets - no more pressed wood/cardboard!
+JVC CD/DVD player - hurrah! they ditched the Quest 2000
+residential style side-by-side Dometic refrigerator with ice maker prep - not sure of capacity but much larger than mine, good for people who actually cook!
+decorative and functional drapery hold-back brackets
+8 gal propane tanks (but no gauges, too bad)
+pillowtop mattress
+3-way mirror in lavatory
+adjustable shelving kitchen cabs
+cedar lined closet & drawers
+storage drawers under bed, both sides

-hydraulic stablizer jacks are not levelers, despite what salesman thought
-50A plug is inside compartment mentioned above, hard to reach
-sewer outlet is under slide - really hard to reach
-holding tank sensors are still inside tanks, subject to 'stuff' getting caught on sensors causing false readings
-only one floor plan, similar to Montana 3400RL
-didn't like color/decorating scheme or stain on wood
-desk is a covered drawer in what I have to call a chest of drawers in corner of living room, top of which is useful only for--what? knicknacks that need dusting? How many of us travel with those? (Excuse my bias - these comments really set the salesman on edge.) The desk in the 3400RL is far better IMHO
-can't see TV from one recliner, TV slide-out swivel doesn't go far enough - again, the 3400RL did it better by setting the TV at an angle
-same Dometic remote control for a/c and furnace - problems ahead for Cambridge owners
-glass enclosed curio cabinet with weak magnetic catches - don't put anything breakable in here; it will end up on the floor while traveling
-no privacy curtain or door between bath and bed (by this time the salesman had remembered something important he had to do and left us alone)
-wasted space between shower and cabinet next to bed
-no bedside tables/shelves
-king size bed barely fits, hard to make - hard to tuck in bedspread even without sheets, blankets, etc.
-greater than 16,000 lbs GVWR - requires MDT

I've tried to keep my personal opinions to a minimum in this report, but I couldn't help myself a couple of times. I'll be interested in what others have observed when you've seen other Cambridges.

P.S. Just read another post stating there are two floor plans - another time the salesman was wrong. It was obvious to MK and I that we knew more about Keystone products than he did; I shouldn't have trusted this piece of info.

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You did a closer inspection than we did on the Cambridge. My overall impression was that there wasn't as much storage inside and it isn't worth the extra money. But then we live a simple life at home so I guess I've never wanted to pay a lot just for fluff. If people like it, then it's worth it to them.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
That is a VERY thorough detailing! Nicely done! I have only seen one Cambridge, and I was looking for the Mor–Ryde kingpin to show it to my father–in–law when he and I went to the local dealer last month as I had seen it in pictures that another member took. The one there did not have one, so perhaps that is an upgrade?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:09 AM   #4
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Two other minuses here I would like to add they still use the osb board in this unit, most high-end builders use marine plywood.The roof material is still rubber,I would like to see the brite-tek vinyl roof on the fiberglass roof added to this unit,also that stinking one year warranty.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
we also took tour of cambridge last evening. did not get too involved as it is out of my league. wife says sofa sits just as hard as the one we just replaced in 3295.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I too took the tour a couple of days ago. Sorry to say I like you had the same reaction on the wood stain. It didn't ring my bell either.

The Sales Guy asked me my thoughts and I had to say, I thought $80,000 was a lot of cash for it. He then said because I'm a loyal customer and he really liked me he could let me have it for $75,000. He sure is a nice guy.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sounds like you did a thorough "look-see". So far we haven't seen a Cambridge here in central Oregon - don't know if the market here would support the dealers getting one in. Hoping they have some new units in stock for the Good Sam rally in July. Those higher priced units are not in our league either, but it sure is fun to look, isn't it?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:11 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the post on the Cambridge, we haven't seen one yet but are looking forward to it. I will print your post and keep it handy.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:49 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent post, Gypsy! We actually kinda liked the woodwork including the stain. Just goes to show different tastes... But, then, our "tour" was just to step inside an look around without moving since the unit had just been cleaned up for delivery.

By the way, Ford's new F350 is rated to easily tow that amount, up to 19,200 with the Tow Boss package. The F250 can be had rated to tow that much, also, up to 16,500, although pinweight may or may not bee too much for the F250. I think Dodge and GM have trucks rated to handle 16,000 too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote