Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
rockin&rollin

hello,on our 3rd trip with our 05-2955,we have noticed alot of movement inside the unit.we've done everything were supposed to do ,to stabilize the unit ,it just seems when one of us moves about you can really feel the movement.i'm wondering if one of those tri-pod units would make a big difference.all info is appreciated.
mike&amy johnson
rio vista calif
05-2955rl
semper-fi-good luck

mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
A tr-pod and a set of "Rotochoks" for each side between your tires will stop just about all that movement.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As harleyrider said, a tri-pod (or bi-pod) will help and so will the chocks that go between the wheels. We use the BAL Deluxe somethingorother. They're similar to the RotoChocks Harleyrider mentioned. We use one on each side. Also, when setting the rear stabilizers, we just snug both pads until the pads are fully seated, then give each a half turn more. Any more than that seems to reintroduce movement in our rig. After all that, we still get some movement but not nearly so much. Part of it is vertical movement. To eliminate that you can use the triangular adjustable stands intended for stabilizing travel trailers (Most Walmarts have them as do RV dealers, Camping World, etc.). When we used these we put them under the spring hangers, one on each side of the rig. We put ours under the rear hangers but found the front hangers work just as well. the rear ones are more accessible for us. We found this totally stops the vertical bouncing. I got tired of dealing with those stands and added a sicissor jack bolted to the frame behind the rear wheel on each side. With the triangular stands or the scissor jacks we just snug them until fully seated. Any more and we're lifting the rear stabilizers and reducing their effectiveness.

Hope this helps. We've never figured out how to totally eliminate the for-aft and side-side movement other than maybe using concrete blocks under the entire length of the frame.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
thanks for all your info on the movement inside our rig.one thing i do is tighten up the rear stablizers about as tight as i can .tonight i will back off a bit.hopefully that will help,again thx.
mike&amy johnson
rio vista calif
semper-fi
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We also have the 2955RL and we do the following....

Above are the 3 items I use to stabilize my rig. In my opinion, leave any one out of the picture and the other 2 are questionable.

The tripod of course goes under the pin box and it is adjustable. For me the tripod by itself was useless until I added the chocks and the jacks.

The chocks are mechanically tightened between the tires and unlike the cheap plastic wedge shaped chocks, affectively remove all back and forth movement.

2 jacks go under the frame just behind the rear spring shackles. They are snugly cranked up against the frame but not enough to lift the trailer. I didn't feel I needed them but a second pair of jacks can also be used in front of the shackles.

This system along with the rigs front jacks and rear stabilizers take nearly 90% of any movement out of my rig.

I should note that I only use the above when I will be in the campground for a week or more but I always use the mechanical chocks.
After I have the rig parked where I want the chocks are the first things to be put on and when breaking down the last things to be removed.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I asked this question about a month ago and received the same advice, upon which I bought the BAL chocks and the tripod from Camping World; it truly helped as Marsha was much happier when I tromped inside the Montana after sitting around the campfire on our last trip! Thanks to Steve, I now have triangle jacks to complete the equation, but have not tried them yet.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote