Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 AM   #21
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
As a FF I am always looking at easy ways to enter a structure doing the least amount of damage. Knowing the Montana line, I would not even think of breaking the window or door lock, in 5 seconds I could be in the coach thru the basement hatch using a screwdriver to twist the lock and then thru the clothes hamper area. If a thief wants in he'll get in.

jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #22
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I hear all of you who haven't had anything taken and can only say I hope it never happens to you. We have been fortunate and have only had kayak paddles, a few CD’s and a camera taken BUT...I do know others not so fortunate.

I too, 30 years ago traveled with a friend to all 48 states with little more than a tent (not used much), sleeping bag, a cooking pot and guitar. Not once were we bothered that whole trip we slept on the benches at Hoover Dam and on the hood of our car in the Smokies and not once did any one bother us. Many times park Rangers would even tell us we could stay without paying. We even had a few meals from strangers in campgrounds in return for playing the guitar

Don't be fooled times have changed. I too keep the same deterrents as trukdoc, I too am a Vet and I too have paid for my FREEDOM and RIGHTS. All I can say to the criminal is that SHAME ON YOU if you run in to the likes of me or the trukdoc. I personally don’t take kindly to people messing with my stuff or my family. I put my stuff up and lock things to prevent potential conflict so I guess when you think about it that way I am protecting the bad guy in a round about way.

I still have fun camping and meeting other campers and RV’ers. We still go all over and have not changed that part of our travels at all. The part we have changed is to avoid potential problems by taking the correct actions on our part. My wife and I truly believe some of the most wonderful people we have met have been those we have met during our travels.

Now you have my 2 cents more. I hope I haven’t offended anyone.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:48 AM   #23
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
My theory, even for the stick house, if somebody would get in and take it either i don't need it or it will give me an excuse to get a new thing. Just do me a favor and don't trash the place while stealing my things. I think we all know the thing about don't invite a criminal by leaving valuables in plain site so it is too easy for the crook. We have tent camped at places like Yellowstone and Glacier and Carlsbad caverns and the only thing we ever lost was the loaf of bread that "cute" chipmunk burrowed into.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #24
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
I have been camping for a long time also and have never had a problem. Most campers are very friendly and will help you how ever they can. The biggest problems we have heard of were kids stealing beer out of coolers.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mike, Did you hear the one where this couple wrote a bogus check for the deposit of a $500,000 motor home and then the check bounced?? They found them a month or so later in a resort campground in the Rio Grande Valley. OR, at least that was the story I heard!

We have never had any trouble either with stealing. Someone ran the handles of a bike down the side of our van a few years ago and left a nice black streak.

That said, in our world of 2005, it is a bit prudent to be careful, no matter where we are. No need for paranoia, just a little care.

Go forth and have fun camping!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #26
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I am mostly impressed with the people I meet in RV parks,very nice and helpful if needed. I believe the people who are loud, obnoxious and maybe with a little too much alcohol are the one's I would not camp near. I would rather not take the Chance on having a problem. If someone were to steal something from me I would not shoot to kill. If someone attempted to break into the trailer while I or someone were in the trailer, then we could have a different situation.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been camping for several years and have never had a problem with theft or violence nor has anyone in our camping groups, not to say that it does not happen. I am also a veteran..most of "older" folk are. I also have firearms as a matter of fact I have a concealed carry license that is good in 29 states, and a member of the NRA and and have been a NRA home firearms and hunter safety instructor and belong to a gun club and shoot on a regular basis and may even have a firearm or two in the camper.To me having a weapon is like having car insurance..you have it but hope to heck you never have to use it. Since we travel in many states we should be aware of the "retreat law" or the 'No retreat law" perhaps there is a law person who can better explain it But there are States where you have "the duty to retreat" from deadly force..strange but true.. I think Calif is such a State. Ohio is not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Since we are "International", isn't there a restriction about taking firearms into Canada??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You do NOT want to take a firearm into Canada.There are ways you can transport a firearm into Canada (hunting trips) but it would be a good idea to leave your firearm at home when traveling to Canada in your RV, Car, Truck,Etc. In the near future you will need a passport to travel to Canada., I think that will apply both ways. If you have a exotic bird,, don'take it..again there are ways but check it out first..If you have a bird and a firearm....Double trouble...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #30
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
It's to bad that all bad guys don't make the same mistake a group did when I was still in law enforcement. There was a group of about 10 law enforcement families camping in one area of a state campgound when a group of would be bad guys tried to raid the camp grounds in the early hours. The look on their face was priceless when the first call for help came from another camper. Since we were all working and camping we were all armed. When we strated coming out of our RV's with firearms in hand the bad guys knew they were going to have a very bad day. The few that got away were so picked up by patrol cars and brought back for ID. When taken to court that day and saw most of their accusers in uniform their day went from bad to worst. All plead guility and spent their summer in the County Jail. To bad they can't all end this way.

Safe Camping. Remember to lock your basements. When they are fairly empty a small person can get into a locked unit through the laundry door in the floor with no problem.

SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To prevent entry through the laundry chute door, just leave the bathroom door open across it. Access to close that door from inside the basement is next to impossible.

another option is to put a slide bolt lock on it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #32
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Or, as in our case, have a basement so full of stuff that any would-be thief would take one look at it and decide it wouldn't be worth the effort!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 AM   #33
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Growing up in the country in the 40's and 50's, we never locked anything. In fact I don't think the doors even had locks. The car keys were never taken out of the ignition. That was a different world. I fear gone forever. Now, my wife locks everything in the 5er.
It is aggrevating when I want something from the basement and have to go find a key, but that's the way it is in this day and age. So far, have not had anything stolen.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #34
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This is fascinating. In today's day and age, I believe it is not if but when you will lose something to theft. That shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying the commaraderie of camping, its just a reality. We seasonalled at Pearl Lake in Rockford, Illinois last year. While we were gone for a couple weeks, all of our firewood was taken, a gas can full of gas and an outdoor firepit. No one saw or heard anything, including security (of course, every time I came into camp they were right there.) I usually keep my stuff locked and haven't had an issue other than that one instance. But, I am sure it is only a matter of time before someone "tries" to help themselves. If they can make it past the Labrador's tongue, they have to get past me. It's a fifty-fifty chance as to whether I'm armed. I pray that I never have to face that situation, because I'm not sure that I could use it as a deterrent, but if seriously threatened, pretty sure I could. I have already told the family, 911 first, let the professionals handle it. The lab's bark is so loud and menacing that one would need to be a fool to try to enter without me. Chances are, if they are still coming in they're a serious threat. As mentioned earlier, if you change the way you go about your life, the bad guys have already won.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #35
Montana_2048
Established Member

M.O.C. #2048
While on the subject, has anyone found a successful alarm system for the monty? I've seen a few but they seem so cheap....
Montana_2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #36
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We carry a set of motion flood lights mounted on a board and hang it on hooks we put in the screw holes for the kitchen vent. Any one on that side of the rig gets a lot of light on them.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #37
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There is a little alarm that was originally made for hotel rooms. It is pretty cheap but makes a lot of noise. Remember even a little bitty dog can make enough noise to scare off a thief. I've seen this alarm in travel stores.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #38
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
We learned the hard way this winter that all secure campgrounds are not theft-proof...

While in a private or membership campground in Indio California we lost a new bike...kind of a walk in ride out experience...try to be philosophical about the whole thing, "they needed it more than us" and fortunately in was one of those $69.00 special at Walmart! WE are back to our home campground, Pearl Lake and in the habit of locking our bikes and not leaving anything out to tempt the weak of mind!!

RV having fun? You bet!! Most of us need not worry, just a few bad apples that I more suspect are not RV'ers just locals passing through!

Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #39
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
By the way...Thanks for the firewood and gas!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

This is fascinating. In today's day and age, I believe it is not if but when you will lose something to theft. That shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying the commaraderie of camping, its just a reality. We seasonalled at Pearl Lake in Rockford, Illinois last year. While we were gone for a couple weeks, all of our firewood was taken, a gas can full of gas and an outdoor firepit. No one saw or heard anything, including security (of course, every time I came into camp they were right there.) I usually keep my stuff locked and haven't had an issue other than that one instance. But, I am sure it is only a matter of time before someone "tries" to help themselves. If they can make it past the Labrador's tongue, they have to get past me. It's a fifty-fifty chance as to whether I'm armed. I pray that I never have to face that situation, because I'm not sure that I could use it as a deterrent, but if seriously threatened, pretty sure I could. I have already told the family, 911 first, let the professionals handle it. The lab's bark is so loud and menacing that one would need to be a fool to try to enter without me. Chances are, if they are still coming in they're a serious threat. As mentioned earlier, if you change the way you go about your life, the bad guys have already won.
Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #40
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Butdoit -

Found out who took the firewood and gas - right across from our site. But no one seems to know who took the fireplace. That was the thing I really wanted to keep. My fault for not have it locked up, but I learned my lesson. For as secure as Mike keeps Pearl Lake, I can't believe that someone didn't see it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote