Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2023, 10:42 AM   #1
Ross from Canada

M.O.C. #32844
Holding Tank Sensors

Hi,

I am new to this group, so I apologize if this has been answered before. I searched, but did not find anything. I have a 2022 Montana 3781rl and the grey and black holding tanks always read 2/3 full after they have been emptied. I also flush the blank tank after emptying every time. Any one else have this issue?

Ross from Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The sensors soon get gunked up and fail to report the level accurately. Here is a current discussion on the this topic:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=89273
You will learn how your habits affect the filling of the tanks. The black tank "burps" when it is close to full, the kitchen and shower tanks back up into the sink/shower to say they are full.

Some use a special concoction to help keep the sensors clean, others replace the sensors with an external See Level gauge system.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
Ross from Canada

M.O.C. #32844
Thank you so much!
Ross from Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
As Carl states, super common problem, and mine do exactly the same thing. I have a 2022 and did everything correctly out of the gate and they still started reading incorrectly within weeks, even hired a professional company at the rally last year to super clean the tanks…no difference. Super frustrating.

I am now seriously considering adding Sea Level gauges (just need to find someone that knows how to properly drop underbelly material and install, I hoped to have Affinity do while I’m at rally this year but called them and they have never done before!). Since we plan on doing a lot more boondocking accuracy of guages more important.

If anyone has a good recommendation for installation please let me know.
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bottom line after the first month the sensors don’t work.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:23 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robokatz View Post
As Carl states, super common problem, and mine do exactly the same thing. I have a 2022 and did everything correctly out of the gate and they still started reading incorrectly within weeks, even hired a professional company at the rally last year to super clean the tanks…no difference. Super frustrating.

I am now seriously considering adding Sea Level gauges (just need to find someone that knows how to properly drop underbelly material and install, I hoped to have Affinity do while I’m at rally this year but called them and they have never done before!). Since we plan on doing a lot more boondocking accuracy of guages more important.

If anyone has a good recommendation for installation please let me know.
Dropping the coroplast and re-installing is actually an easy task.
Here's a thread with pretty good detail and pictures. I do not have the sea level guages but have read they are simple to install as well.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=88760
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:15 AM   #7
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
I have been using this Mopeka tank sensor for a few weeks now, on our fresh tank. It seems to be doing what it's supposed to do. It's wireless. Uses a Bluetooth app on the phone. I use sensors for the propane tanks made by the same company, and use the same app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX21WPCH

Fulltimer Domicile: Florida SKP Resort, Wauchula, Florida
2016 Montana 3611 RL Legacy - 2000w Solar, Victron whole house power, 1200ah Chins LiFePO4, RV Armor roof, Verizon 5G Home Internet
Jay Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:17 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks Jay! I had watched a video of someone who installed that and it looks pretty easy. I had forgotten about that sensor until you mentioned it.
I have the propane tank sensors already from Mopeka too. I may look into just installing that for the fresh tank.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:50 AM   #9
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Thanks Jay! I had watched a video of someone who installed that and it looks pretty easy. I had forgotten about that sensor until you mentioned it.
I have the propane tank sensors already from Mopeka too. I may look into just installing that for the fresh tank.
I installed a round hatch into the underbelly material so I can access the sensor. The battery has to be changed periodically. I did have issues getting the device to stick using their stock adhesive. After trying epoxy, I finally found old school contact cement

2016 Montana 3611 RL Legacy - 2000w Solar, Victron whole house power, 1200ah Chins LiFePO4, RV Armor roof, Verizon 5G Home Internet
Old 06-10-2023, 05:55 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Yeah, one of the videos I watched the person used a round hatch in the coroplast like my bass boat has to access the sensor about 6-8" in diameter.
I found one on Amazon for around $14.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L4Z24TX...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 06-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #11
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Yeah, one of the videos I watched the person used a round hatch in the coroplast like my bass boat has to access the sensor about 6-8" in diameter.
I found one on Amazon for around $14.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L4Z24TX...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I used this hatch

Hoffen Bay-sun 4 inch Hatch White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQ7C1R7...p_mob_ap_share

Old 06-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #12
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
I took someone’s advice on here and empty all my tanks before leaving a campsite, then add about 2-3 minutes of clean water to them all while traveling to the next Rv park. My tanks sensors are still working after 3 yrs of full timing but we move almost weekly. No chemicals added just clean water. No magic just routine
Rhortie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:40 AM   #13
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
Black tank

I recently bought a new to me 2018 arctic fox. A box of happy camper tank treatment was already in it. I figured I would use it up. This is great stuff. No odors once so ever out of the tank it cleans nice you can also use it in your gray tank to get rid of the stink. Too bad it’s not allowed to be sold in California.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #14
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Good morning -

I agree with Carl on every point he made to include how to tell when the tanks are getting full. I have success with the cleaning of the sensors, but it last until the next trip. The product I use is Tethford Tank Blaster, and I use it once a year. I follow the instructions, except, I do leave the product in the tank a bit longer than recommended. Works great for that one flush, but I am satisfied the tanks are completely clean!

I have considered the replacement of the sensors, but I have yet to find any that I believe will work well. And, I always as myself the question, Why Bother? I know when my tanks are filling up based on my observations, the sounds I hear - burping, and past experiences.

Cheers
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:28 PM   #15
BobH

M.O.C. #33768
We have a new to us 2018 3791RD with an InCommand Pro Plus control. I understand that the gray tank and black tank get stuff on them but our fresh water tank is full and shows that it is empty. Is this because of the tank monitors or the control system?
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:59 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
We have a new to us 2018 3791RD with an InCommand Pro Plus control. I understand that the gray tank and black tank get stuff on them but our fresh water tank is full and shows that it is empty. Is this because of the tank monitors or the control system?

A couple years ago, we had the same issue with the fresh water tank showing empty when it was full. I pulled back the coroplast under the tank and found the white (common) wire was broken at the splice at the heavier wire connects to the thinner wire that goes to the common probe in the tank. I spliced it back together and the level reads correctly now.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:38 AM   #17
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
If you want long-lasting and reliable alternative the Garnet Seelevel Products are the way to go.
They sensor strips are mounted from the out side which eliminates stuff clogging on them.
I did install them on our previous unit and they worked flawless for 4 years.

If I had to install them in our new unit I would install the optional 2. Display in the wet-bay or the bluetooth version for easier monitoring during flushing.

Here is there product selector according to your number of tanks etc.
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/selection-tool/

Installation was a diy and took me a good 3/4 day with running the wires.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:16 AM   #18
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c..... Mini split

The sensors that come on all campers are a bad joke played on buyers. The See Level 2 sensors that stick on the outside of the tank are the only real sensors that work and are not affected by the crap in the tanks, work forever, no maintenance or frustrations, and are easy to put on. You don`t have to drop the coroplast just cut a 1ft. square on 3 sides in the location of the old sensors stick on the sensors connect the wires to the old wires and tape up the hole. The other part is just as easy. Who cares the cost if it works it`s worth it.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank gauge, grey tank