Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
HTR switch

What does the HTR switch operate next to thr pump switch? Just getting acquainted with our new 3400 RL and can't remember what that switch was for?

Bill.

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
For the water heater on Gas
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Agreed it is the hot water heater switch for propane. You want to be sure NOT to turn this switch on when there is no water in the system. It will fry your heating element very quickly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, I think you're thinking of the electric side. That element will fry if the electric element switch is turned on with no water in the tank. The propane side just fires off the gas and would then heat an empty tank, which also is not a good thing but maybe not instantaneously disasterous like the electric side.

Bill, in case you're not already aware, the electric element switch is on the water heater facing behind that outside door. It's often kind of hidden behind some other things.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Thanks everyone, tank is ok, don't know how it got turned on but probably never lit because gas was off. By the time I turned gas on to check the furnace it had given up trying, worked fine after getting water ready.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Bill and Sue: I seem to recall a recent good thread concerning use of these two different methods of heating the water. Just do a search for "water heater"

The important thing is that the electric heater and the propane heater work independently of each other but also can be used together. We leave the electric heater on all the time, and turn the propane heater on whenever showers are about to begin, to ensure a good suppy of really hot water. It gets turned off afterwards. The electric heater, by itself, acts more slowly, and the water seems not quite as hot as when using the propane heater.

Best regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I thought it was just me, but we seem to have to turn the lit switch on whenever we want hot water. There isn’t hot water after we plug into the shore line, until that switch is turned on.

I heard the warnings about not using the electric element until there’s water in the tank, so the first thing I did was flip off the breakers labeled for the water heater. Then I got water, and purged any air, and reset the breakers. Never noticed a thing warm about it, so I just continued using the gas. We only need it a couple times a day, and turn it off when through.

Maybe I should go through the manual, again, and make sure the resets on the unit, itself are properly set.

Worse comes to worse, when I get a chance, I can bleed the tank and pull out the element, and see if it’s burned out. That sounds possible at this point.

Reason it’s been no big deal is because our 3380 was the same way.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Gyro,
Before you go to all that trouble I would make sure the switch that is outside on the water heateris turned to the on position too. for the electric portion of the water heater to work both the breakers and the outside switch must be turned on.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Another thing with the heater, on the outside there is a reset swith, it has a rubber boot on it. Ours wouldn't work one time and I had to push this button. Don't know what caused it but here we are. At the time I think the tank was empty and we fired up the gas portion. Then it shut down.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 AM   #10
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
On the outside switch, there is a small "hairclip" pin through the bottom portion of the rocker switch. Remove the pin (and save it) then move the rocker switch downwards. When we are going through out "move-out" list, I always move the rocker switch to the up position & re-insert the clip pin---just so I don't forget it & plug in the unit without the water turned on first. Kinda of a "safety thing" for those of us with short memories...! That switch is always the last thing I turn on when setting-up thus making sure the H2O is on and air in the lines is bled out. If your breakers are not tripped, you can "hear" the element kick in---kinda like a coffee pot but not quite so loud.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Gyro,
Before you go to all that trouble I would make sure the switch that is outside on the water heateris turned to the on position too. for the electric portion of the water heater to work both the breakers and the outside switch must be turned on.
D'Oh!

Man, I feel dumb. I had been making sure the rubber-covered resets had been pushed. And totally filed to note the switch staring me in the face!

I slipped the pin out of it, and put the pin on the screw that's next to the switch for safe keeping. I bet we have enough hot water for the morning showers, now! I'll let Kim shower first, just in case we will find out that we still need the gas for a faster recovery.

Now. Anyone wish to place bets on whether I'll forget about that switch, whenever I need to drain the tank, for whatever reasons? I'm guessing that with us full-timing, it'll be a while before we'll have to drain it. And therefore, I'll likely be forgetting it.

Thanks, once again, for saving me trouble.

Steve
Old 04-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, our tank is never empty except when I check the anode rod. Like you, we're fulltiming, so it is full all the time. Also, on our model the electric side is on a breaker by itself. So we use the breaker to turn it off and on. We've been doing this for coming up on 3 years. Also, Vicki has it on her checklist for preparing to hitch up. I don't need to bother with the switch on the water heater itself. It's always turned on there. Mine didn't have the pin, by the way.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Well, our hot water is great, with the electric heater working, now, thanks.

I flipped the outside switch off when we were readying to move to North Carolina. I’ve heard that circuit breakers have a life expectancy of on and off usage, so I may just keep using the switch outside. The cover’s easier to get at than the breaker panel in our 3475, over the shelf in the “water closet.”

But the main thing is that it works, and we have an abundant supply of very hot water.

We’re experimenting to see if we’ll need to turn the gas switch on, as well, at shower time…When no one wants to run outta hot water! I’m guessing it isn’t as fast a recovery without gas. But so far, we haven’t run out.

Thanks, again!

Steve
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, I've heard people say that but have also heard people say they've been doing it far longer than us. Those things are pretty stout. We've had no problems with the breaker whatsoever in three years so I don't worry about it. I think you'd have to use it an awful lot to ever wear out the switch. Even normal wall light switches have a life expectancy. But do whatever you're most comfortable with.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:39 AM   #15
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I am an electrical engineer who advises the navy on power issues on occasion. Not to brag, but to let you know where I am coming from. Some times the "advise" on this site is a bit strange.

The thing about a life expectancy of switiching on and off for electric breakers is more for the number of overload protection cycles. Switching them off by hand has little impact on life span.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I was getting ready to say the same as RADHAZJOE when I read his post. Switching cycles and protection cycles are two different animals. We switch ours off and on at the breaker with no problems so far. I also turn it off outside if I've drained the tank so I don't forget and cycle it with no water in the tank.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I stand corrected!

Still, the relative ease of getting at the outside switch makes my choice better in our situation. The breakers are just a bit more of a pain to get to.

It would be easier if we didn't keep the shelf in front of them stacked with T.P.

Steve
Old 04-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, that's a good point. I've seen some models where getting to the breakers is a royal pain. But on ours, it's right by the entry door. The cover has a single twist latch that I can very easily turn 90 degrees. Turn that latch, swing the bottom hinged door down, and there is the breaker. If we had your setup I'd probably go your route. On ours, my method is easier by a longshot. Access to the breaker makes a huge difference in approach.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Gyro,
Hope I didn't sound like a "know it all", because I certainly don't. Please forgive me if I came across that way. We're all looking for things to make our RV experiences more enjoyable. That's always my intention. If my electric panel was located as yours I'd be using the outside switch exclusively too.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #20
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Gyro -

We seasonal, so I sometimes move even less often than a fulltimer and sometimes it is easy to forget things. So, I have a very detailed checklist that I had laminated with a very heavy plastic from Kinkos. I follow it religiously so I don't have any miscues. I believe it has saved me many times. Just a thought.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote