Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
New To Montana RV

Hello Montana Owners! Chris and Pam here announcing our retirement plan has moved one step closer to reality! We purchased a brand new 2022 Montana 3231CK and I have ordered a Ford F350 Dually to pull her baby.
Pam is fairly new to camping but learning fast. I have been an RV camper then owner all my life. Dad bought an original Starcraft pop-up camper in the early seventies. I spent many years camping in tents as a Boy Scout parent and leader. In 2012 I finally purchased my first RV, a Rockwood Freedom pop-up. loved it but wanted a few more creature comforts so I moved up to a Palomino Stampede 238. Not my best decision in life. Simplicity became my new mantra; no slides, no fold out bunks TT. A Starcraft AR-One MAXX 21FB fit the bill perfectly. We both love travelling and camping so going full time was an easy decision for US. However, my need for simplicity and durability is not in full harmony with Pam's need to feel at home with space and comfort. We are hoping the great Montana reputation and owner satisfaction reports are true.
I am especially looking forward to picking the minds of the gone before. . .

Papa Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Welcome to the forum! There are many great minds here volunteering to be picked!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! You picked my favorite new floor plan. We've been very happy with our Monty. Just be prepared for some initial break-in foibles. There's always a process to work out the kinks. Be ready with a very thorough PDI list and take your time to make sure that everything is as it should be before you sign and drive away. It's just part of the process but worth the extra effort.

Good luck and enjoy retirement? When is it? I retired a year ago...big fan
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! We have had three Monty's over the years and still own two of them so you could say we are very happy with the brand. May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Chris, welcome to the forum. We have the 3230CK with RV fridge and Super Solar. Love the floor plan. It sounds like you haven’t taken delivery yet, but I might be mistaken. If you haven’t, be sure to download one of the great PDI forms. It is much easier to get things fixed by the dealer before they have your money. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Z View Post
Hello Montana Owners! Chris and Pam here announcing our retirement plan has moved one step closer to reality! We purchased a brand new 2022 Montana 3231CK and I have ordered a Ford F350 Dually to pull her baby.
Pam is fairly new to camping but learning fast. I have been an RV camper then owner all my life. Dad bought an original Starcraft pop-up camper in the early seventies. I spent many years camping in tents as a Boy Scout parent and leader. In 2012 I finally purchased my first RV, a Rockwood Freedom pop-up. loved it but wanted a few more creature comforts so I moved up to a Palomino Stampede 238. Not my best decision in life. Simplicity became my new mantra; no slides, no fold out bunks TT. A Starcraft AR-One MAXX 21FB fit the bill perfectly. We both love travelling and camping so going full time was an easy decision for US. However, my need for simplicity and durability is not in full harmony with Pam's need to feel at home with space and comfort. We are hoping the great Montana reputation and owner satisfaction reports are true.
I am especially looking forward to picking the minds of the gone before. . .
We jumped into full timing from your area in March 2018. Still have FL residency with SBI in Green Cove as our address and mail service. https://www.sbimailservice.com

I highly recommend them.

My wife was hesitant to the idea at first also but hurricanes gave her all the push she needed.

After a little over two years in a class C she said she loved it but wanted more space and a washer and dryer. So we got our Montana "3121rl" almost two years ago and haven't looked back since. Neither of us can imagine living any other way. We did 6 weeks of shakedown in FL state parks 14 days at a time. I highly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	10802  
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Congrats on your new Montana and congrats on your pending retirement.

I had planned on retiring Dec 8 of this year, but things changed a little, so decided on Dec 31. But now that I'm this close, I'm getting pleas and begs from all levels of my management that I don't quit yet. So, I told them I stay on after the first of the new year, but didn't say how long!

Our Montana was purchased for the purpose of full timing also. It's taken 3 years of changes, warranty works, repairs, upgrades, adjustments, stripping out camping equipment we don't need, and figuring out what we do. Our last big change was to install a washer and dryer.

So, hopefully you will be able to spend some time in your new camper before hitting the road full time with no where to retreat to so you can make changes. There will be things you'll change... a hook here, a hanger there, remove this thing here, add this thing there.

It took us 3 years, but we finally decided to remove the sliding doors on the shower. They are gone now, and we're wondering why we waited so long. It's stuff like that. It just takes time to truly make a camper "yours".

Good luck! Enjoy, and again, Congrats!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:31 PM   #8
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
Thanks you for the warm hello!

Really good info! Storing the Fifth until her house is sold. She retires in August. I unfortunately can't pull the face curtain until Jan 1, 2024. Storing her baby until her house sells this spring then moving in full time at our local Moose Lodge RV park. Plan on a few shakedown cruises (Yes Ex-Navy) to work the bugs out until we are foot loose. BTW Pretty truck, just waiting on my build date! Z
Old 12-20-2021, 11:57 PM   #9
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
Thanks you for the warm hello!

Really good info! Storing the Fifth until her house is sold. She retires in August. I unfortunately can't pull the face curtain until Jan 1, 2024. Storing her baby until her house sells this spring then moving in full time at our local Moose Lodge RV park. Plan on a few shakedown cruises (Yes Ex-Navy) to work the bugs out until we are foot loose. Spent a few hours on PDI informing the tech on what he was previewing (Legacy with disc brakes, etc) so I am pretty confident that went well. Now trying to figure out _ More solar than 200 standard, Generator (thinking Cummins 4500) etc.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:19 AM   #10
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
Thanks for the nice hello

What do you consider super solar? All new for 2022, we have 200 watts (one Panel) included but I clearly want more. I am also looking at a Cummins Onan 4500 Watt Digital Inverter Electric Start Gasoline Portable Generator | P4500i. Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Chris & Pam congratulations on many fronts.....retirement, new trailer and a truck. Post some pictures when you get it all.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Prior to 2022, Montana offered three “levels” of solar - Solar Prep, Solar Flex and Super Solar. Solar Prep, basic wiring, Solar Flex, 600 watts (if I remember correctly), no batteries as part of the system and 2000 watt inverter. Super Solar all outlets wired to 3000 watt inverter, 1200 watts of solar panels and 540 amp hr Battleborn lithium batteries. Basically, Super Solar copied what many early adopters did with their solar and made it a turnkey system. For us, after a few mods, everything just works. Can you do it cheaper - yes. But for us, since it was factory installed it is covered for 5 years under our extended warranty. Future Sales supplies your system to Keystone, so they are a good starting point for future upgrades.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #13
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Congrats!
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:05 AM   #14
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We jumped into full timing from your area in March 2018. Still have FL residency with SBI in Green Cove as our address and mail service. https://www.sbimailservice.com

I highly recommend them.

My wife was hesitant to the idea at first also but hurricanes gave her all the push she needed.

After a little over two years in a class C she said she loved it but wanted more space and a washer and dryer. So we got our Montana "3121rl" almost two years ago and haven't looked back since. Neither of us can imagine living any other way. We did 6 weeks of shakedown in FL state parks 14 days at a time. I highly recommend it.
Definitely planning shakedown trips before we hit the road! Did not know there was a mail service in GCS. Good info! Thanks.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Z View Post
Definitely planning shakedown trips before we hit the road! Did not know there was a mail service in GCS. Good info! Thanks.
You're welcome. One other bit of advice..... If you already know of this my apologies.

Watch out for "tail swing" as 5th wheel rigs with the axles near the center react much differently than bumper pulls when turning.

A really good place to cut your teeth on pulling into a campground is Colt Creek State Park. Good roads with big spaces.

Coordinates: 28.2897, -82.0413
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #16
Greg1780
Established Member

M.O.C. #29247
We purchased a 2021 Montana MS3813 to travel south in the winter. On Day 2 of the journey to Florida this year, the wife missed a step near the bathroom, falling down breaking her foot, but we love our 5th wheel.
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Hope she mends quickly. Getting in and out may be the most dangerous activity. We may look at some of the carpet pads for the stairs before heading out.