Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
buford
Established Member

M.O.C. #25775
Replacing damaged Skirt and fender

This Summer we had a china bomb tire blow and pretty much destroy my passenger side skirting, fender and damaged a level up jack. I have received the skirt and fender, and skirt is cut to length but prior to install I thought I would ask for some experienced advice.
Have any of you done this repair yourself? It does not appear to be a daunting task, but I am curious if you installed the skirt before or after you cutout the fender area. The "J wrap" comes as one long piece, without the cutout. Any advice would be appreciated.

buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I had to do it on a 35 ft windjammer I used to have. I had saved the old piece. I beat it straight and then used it as a template for the cutout.

I cut it out before I put it on.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
buford
Established Member

M.O.C. #25775
Thanks fish. Unfortunately mine was a jigsaw puzzle.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Can't the new skirt be used as a template?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Also used the old skirting to cut out the new one by hammering it somewhat straight, as far as putting it on it was a straight forward job but you need another set of hands. Ensure you use silicone to seal the screws as I don't trust that rubber/plastic piece to seal properly that pops into the slots on the strip. Also used large stainless washers on the self tapping screws that attach to the frame underneath. Otherwise no issues. You could likely template onto cardboard off the other side that didn't get damaged for the actual cut out area...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We just. Bought a new one and had a sho install it..the box to prevent damage in shipment cost more than the part..1200 total
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
buford
Established Member

M.O.C. #25775
Montana Master, you have got that right. Aluminum skirting was $74 and shipping (including charge for the box) was $135!! Good thing I ordered two of the plastic fenders so they would match. Made the cost a little easier to swallow.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
patc73
Established Member

M.O.C. #14231
We had the same thing happen on our recent trip to Michigan's U.P. We took our 2014 318RE to a local body shop, and they completed the repairs coordinating with our AAA insurance for just our $50 deductible. They had to replace the plastic fender overlay on the damaged side, and because the color was different than the original, they also replaced the one on the other side. Easy peasy and no sweat for my disabled husband!
patc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I had to replace a section of J panel a while back. Took the damaged one to a sheet metal fab shop and asked them to duplicate it but without the crinkles. They did an awesome job. I had a body shop paint the panel and it went in perfectly.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by buford View Post
This Summer we had a china bomb tire blow and pretty much destroy my passenger side skirting, fender and damaged a level up jack. I have received the skirt and fender, and skirt is cut to length but prior to install I thought I would ask for some experienced advice.
Have any of you done this repair yourself? It does not appear to be a daunting task, but I am curious if you installed the skirt before or after you cutout the fender area. The "J wrap" comes as one long piece, without the cutout. Any advice would be appreciated.
Go to a store and get a large piece of cardboard. Something like a piece from a refrigerator that is long. Remove the plastic fender flare from the opposite side and use the cardboard to roll over the J trim on the good side. Use a black sharpie and mark your wheel well location for cutting. Once complete, use the template and roll it inside-out so that the same dimensions for the cutout will apply to the other side. You basically have a mirror image of what you need for the repair. The good part about cardboard is that it will roll the opposite way easily.

When you make the template, put a mark on the cardboard and measure from that mark to the bumper on the rear. Use that same mark and measurement on the other side for marking your new piece. I would temporarily hang the j wrap and mark it on the camper. If all looks well, you can remove it to cut it.

Good luck.