Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenportbeach View Post
Not only has the KeyTV box been replaced, but the antenna, both TV's and the DVD player. I checked all the coax connections that are in the KeyTV box and the ones going to both TV's and they are good.

Still can't get OTA channels. Not a clue.....
Who replaced the antenna ? Did "they" remake the fittings ? My only other suggestion is that the coax cable from the antenna to the Key TV switch is bad. And again, are you certain you are in a location that can pick up OTA signals ?

Reese M5 - 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Who replaced the antenna ? Did "they" remake the fittings ? My only other suggestion is that the coax cable from the antenna to the Key TV switch is bad. And again, are you certain you are in a location that can pick up OTA signals ?
Camping World replaced the antenna. Don't think they pulled the cable from the KeyTV box to the antenna though. Maybe that will be the next step. They did go from KeyTV box outside and through the front door and plugged directly into the TV. Still didn't work. They have to come out again in a few weeks for other warranty work, I will ask about changing out the cable from the antenna to the KeyTV box.

And yes, my 2008 Discovery motorhome was on this same site and we got very clear OTA channels. We traded it in for this 2020 Montana 3931FB fifth wheel in January and haven't been able to get OTA channels since.
greenportbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #23
akoske
Established Member

M.O.C. #23553
I had ota reception problems also. I used a 25' extension cord as an antenna with jumper wire to coax center wire. Started at tv, went from 3 channels to 19. Worked back to key tv box then antenna itself. Found coax cable center wire had plastic insulation on it at antenna. Cleaned off insulation and has worked great since.
akoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #24
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
Camping World replaced the antenna. Don't think they pulled the cable from the KeyTV box to the antenna though. Maybe that will be the next step. They did go from KeyTV box outside and through the front door and plugged directly into the TV. Still didn't work.
Well, that narrows it down to the cable from the antenna to the Key TV system. It's either the coax or fitting(s).
Reese M5 - 20K
Old 04-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #25
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoske View Post
I had ota reception problems also. I used a 25' extension cord as an antenna with jumper wire to coax center wire. Started at tv, went from 3 channels to 19. Worked back to key tv box then antenna itself. Found coax cable center wire had plastic insulation on it at antenna. Cleaned off insulation and has worked great since.
I just copied your message and sent it to my Service Manager at Camping World so they can try this before replacing the whole cable from the KeyTV box to the antenna.

Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #26
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
Not only has the KeyTV box been replaced, but the antenna, both TV's and the DVD player. I checked all the coax connections that are in the KeyTV box and the ones going to both TV's and they are good.

Still can't get OTA channels. Not a clue.....
Hey greenportbeach ... any resolution to your OTA issue ? Believe it or not, we got to a campground today, got the MHC all set up, scanned for OTA channels and nothing. We have been at this campground before, with our previous Jayco FW, and have been able to pick up about a dozen OTA channels. But for some reason the Key TV system picks up nothing. I know the system works, or at least did work once at my house. I was able to pick up a couple of stations. But now nothing ... I may go to Lowe's tomorrow and buy a cheap indoor antenna to get me through the week.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #27
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Hey greenportbeach ... any resolution to your OTA issue ? Believe it or not, we got to a campground today, got the MHC all set up, scanned for OTA channels and nothing. We have been at this campground before, with our previous Jayco FW, and have been able to pick up about a dozen OTA channels. But for some reason the Key TV system picks up nothing. I know the system works, or at least did work once at my house. I was able to pick up a couple of stations. But now nothing ... I may go to Lowe's tomorrow and buy a cheap indoor antenna to get me through the week.
No...but Camping world is coming back this week to run a cable from the antenna through my front door and plug directly into the TV to see if maybe the coax cable from the antenna to the KeyTV box was bad. I hope that is what the problem is. We have checked and changed everything else.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #28
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
No...but Camping world is coming back this week to run a cable from the antenna through my front door and plug directly into the TV to see if maybe the coax cable from the antenna to the KeyTV box was bad. I hope that is what the problem is. We have checked and changed everything else.
That should take care of your problem. Unfortunately, it won't deliver signal to the bedroom tv location.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #29
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
That should take care of your problem. Unfortunately, it won't deliver signal to the bedroom tv location.
Yes it will if we determine that the antenna cable is bad. Then we will replace the coax cable that runs from the antenna to the KeyTV box which controls both TV's.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #30
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
Yes it will if we determine that the antenna cable is bad. Then we will replace the coax cable that runs from the antenna to the KeyTV box which controls both TV's.
Yep, that would be the plan. Hopefully, that would be doable without tearing wall board and ceiling down. I have zero faith in most RV "tech" capabilities.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #31
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
greenportbeach, did you get your OTA problem resolved yet ?
Reese M5 - 20K
Old 04-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #32
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
For what its worth- on our 2019 3121 I ran a RG6 Quad cable form the the Key TV box along the frame and thru the slide next to the original cable to the diplexer and signal was much better but not good enough. I also traced the original cable back and found a coupler in the area under the rear panel near the clearance light, I then up the back of RV toward the roof. I have ordered a King Omi Pro antenna and plan to place it on different places on the roof to check signal strength. I think that having the antenna so close to the AC unit may interfere with signal. Also Furion Antenna is probably junk.